Honored Contributor

Re: When do you know it's time to leave?

[ Edited ]

Mellie...my first thought was there is no narrative....what is the backstory?  Why are you curious to know?  Personal or business?

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

There is no one in our families that annoy us that we want to get away from them at holidays or any other days.

Lucky you.  Truly.  

@Shorty2U  I am with @Mellie32...you are very lucky. I have a few family members that when I am around them my anxiety goes through the roof...sad but true...

Trusted Contributor

Way before the photo albums come out! 

Honored Contributor

It's time to go when conversation starts waning and the hosts start yawning.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Put yourself in their shoes.

When do you want you to leave?

@Mellie32 wrote:

You're visiting family members - having some dinner and conversation.

When do you know it's time to leave?  How long do you usually stay?

Honored Contributor

Whether it's on the phone, or in company, when it gets to t.v. conversation or the weather, that's usually it. Or a long lull in the conversation. LOL

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

When my husband's brother starts talking politics, I head for the car. 

My husband would be the one to go there, unless I ask ahead of time that he doesn't go down that path. I want to crawl in a hole when he goes into that. He can be quite upset once he gets on a roll. I hate that. I should just go set in the car.

Esteemed Contributor

We leave about 15-20 min after dessert unless the host says can you stay a little longer.

Respected Contributor

Interesting question. Never really tought about it. We have family over quite often especially during the Summer. We have a pool. We usually have a bbq, clean up then sit around laughing, talking and a few drinks. Kids content in the pool. They usually arrive around 1 in the afternoon and will stay until at least 6-7 at night. No one seems to be in a rush to leave and we love having them. We all enjoy each others company. Enjoy your family while you can is my motto. I would not like them coming to chew and screw. It's not always about the food.

Funny thing is many of them work together 40 hours a week. My husband owns his own business. You would think they would be sick of each other, but I guess not.

Esteemed Contributor

When you visited my in laws, now gone....you had no problem knowing when to leave....my mil would take your plate at the last bite, sometimes before....she often had no food on her plate tho she was a fabulous cook ....."she ate all day while preparing the meal".  So you felt she was just watching and waiting while you ate...coffee and dessert was rapidly served after last meal bite and same clean up upon last bite....and, then, she would start getting the coats in winter....in summer, she'd ask "did you bring a sweater" or "where's your purse".  She wasn't a festive person but went through the motions of having an aluminum blue tree that she put out for company....when she put the tree behind the drapes, you really outstayed your welcome...lol.  My husband and I still laugh about her dinners.