Trusted Contributor

Re: When a UPS package goes to USPS

I'm really lucky. UPS comes to my complex almost everyday, so they skip the USPS part. There will always be an update on the tracking saying they will be in the area and will bring it themselves.

Honored Contributor

When I was in the post office one day, the clerk told me that the price of stamps has gone down.  Well, what she forget to tell me is that the price of sendiing out a package has tripled.  I could not believe the price of sending a pkg. out.  You are better off with UPS or if returning a QVC purchase using their label.   In my area, I find UPS and USPS comparable (usually a two day service) for both.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

This arrangement between UPS & USPS helps keep shipping costs down. I don't mind waiting the extra day if it keeps the costs down. 

@Tribesters  The trouble is, the only one that benefits is QVC.  As far as I'm concerned, when this hand-off takes place, it can be the kiss of death for a package.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

When ordering on line (not only QVC), there is only one shipping price. However, if it is UPS, the package may say delivery expected on Tuesday, then, at the last minute it goes to the post office and the delivery is now not until Thursday or so.  UPS is on my street at least twice a day so that is not the problem.  Just seems odd.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I am always dissapointed when tracking a package, to see that it went from UPS to the USPS. The regular mail is so much slower.  UPS is on my street at least two times a day.

I hate that, too.

I live in an apartment complex where the USPS delivers all packages to the complex office, which is always closed by the time I get home from work. Anything that's delivered to the office stays in the office until Saturday, when I can stop by and pick things up.

UPS delivers things to my front door, so anything delivered by UPS I get the day it's delivered. Yesterday I had three packages delivered and got two when I got home at 7:30 but the other is in the office until Saturday.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are a couple of reasons why UPS and Fed Ex hand over the final delivery to USPS - one is to keep costs down.  If UPS delievered it, the cost would be given to you and you would pay more.  Many online shops allow you to change your delivery method and most people don't pick the higher cost shipping unless they absolutely need it.

the other reason is range. UPS and Fed Ex do not deliver in a lot of areas.  USPS is the only carrier that I know of that delivers everywhere in the USA. 

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

I usually get my packages pretty quickly, so it doesn't really matter if it comes UPS or USPS.

I do get annoyed if it adds a day to the shipping time.  That doesn't happen often...

Regular Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I hate it to when they give it to USPS. Example I was to get a package Friday & it wasn't delivered so I checked tracking and it said call the PO. She claimed he knocked at my door and no answer. I was home all day & he did not come to the door. Anyway I had to do their job and pick it up at the post office. Give me UPS anytime. Even if I am not home they leave it and if it is raining put it in plastic.

I completely agree with you.

I had a Q package from USPS that SAYS it was delivered on Friday. Uh, NO IT WAS NOT. I looked this morning to see when it would come and it says it was delivered on Friday, but it wasn't.

Now I have to go through the hassle of dealing with the Post Office who won't do anything like always and then to QVC who will most likely tell me to buy another one...when I never got the first one I bought!

I hate the Post Office.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a little disappointed when I see a package has been given to USPS.  It means I have to wait until the next mail day. Woman Sad  If there is something too big for the box, my very kind mail person brings it to the porch.

Sometimes when I check tracking and it's supposed to be given by UPS to USPS, there's a note that they'll be in my area anyway and will deliver the package. Woman Happy

I feel very fortunate, after reading some replies.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

If something has been shipped SurePost (which takes only one extra day), and you have a UPS Choice account, you can upgrade the shipment to Ground, so that UPS delivers it on the day it hits town.  

It doesn't cost a cent if you have the account.  If you don't have a UPS Choice account, I think it's about $3 to upgrade the service and get it a day earlier.

As others have mentioned, this is just a less expensive option and that's why some vendors use it.  It works fine for the vast majority, so it's not a bad option.

I forgot how much this UPS account thing costs, but I don't remember it being much at all (annual fee).   It gives you many choices and even if you have a UPS account without paying for the Choice thing, you will get an email from UPS every time anybody has processed a shipment coming your way.   I've had a regular UPS account (just a home acct) for many years and just in the last couple of years I upgraded it.

Also, I notice that even without this, sometimes UPS will just go ahead and deliver SurePost shipments.  I don't know if it's just easier than pushing it through the additional processing, or if it's just that they know you, but I've had that happen several times.

I'm also getting postal service deliveries on Sundays lately, so that's different.