Respected Contributor

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

Other than a Zombie Apocolypse I can't imagine suddenly being without a home, money, friends or family. There are many factors that would lead up to that situation and doesn't happen overnight. Could I live in my car? Sure. Would I want to? No.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I would attempt to live off the land, as ancestors have.  A car?  I guess I could fry an egg on the engine, if I had the petrol to fire it up (and a chicken or two).

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Make a BIG sign.   Stand next to a cafe; holding the sign.

LETs DO LUNCH; YOU PAY FOR IT.  (smile)  

Of course I would get a job before the sun goes down.  

Respected Contributor

What would I do if the sky fell down or ground beneath me turned to jello??????   I don't know.  No one can know what they would do until happens to you.  You might THINK you know what you would do but you cannot really know until it happens. 

Respected Contributor

There is a shelter near me that I donate to that does a wonderful job of taking people in and helping them get back on their feet.  I would go there first.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

It would depend on whether I'm homeless from a slow slide of misfortune, where I've had time to think things through and plan or seek help, or if I come home to a burned down/blown away house/town/ area, and everything is gone. 

Do I still have my health? Do I still have a job? Do I still have my family or am I all alone? Lots of variable, and the answer would be different for each one.

In any of them, I'd have to look for the blessings. There will be some, even if they are hard to find. The biggest ones would be if I was still healthy, and my family safe and sound and with me. From there, we can move on.

Esteemed Contributor

Would never happen, I own my home free & clear.

Esteemed Contributor

Get a job? You tend to look a little scraggly after a few weeks of homelesness. Where is your employer going to locate you? What happens when your phone runs out and you can no longer pay for it?

Keeping your clothes clean for an interview? How ya gonna get to the interview? Car? Gas? Insurance? Bus Tickets? Who is watching your small ones while you go?

I love coming here. So many trite answers to a difficult life.

Honored Contributor

Find a shelter or shoot myself. My brother was homeless for several years living on the street. He lived with us for 8 months until I could no longer take it. He has mental problems. He has a home & doing a lot better now. My sister will end up like this when my dad dies. She has not worked since she lost her job over 6 yrs ago back when everyone was losing their jobs. My dad has been paying her way. She will be in for a rude awakening that's for sure. 

Contributor

Oddly enough when my husband and I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail there were several hikers who were basically homeless (aside from the tent or sleeping bag they lived in).  They seemed to have deliberately chosen to live that way and I really sort of admired them for it.  So if I had nowhere to live, I'd hike.