Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do IF ~

[ Edited ]

One can tell an employee/manager, but the store employees would have to have proof with their own eyes/cameras to prosecute (not a customers). They have to be 100%. They can keep an eye on that person, and maybe they will put the item back.

Yes, I would tell an employee, doesn't matter the age.

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do IF ~

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I would MYOB ...... there are security cameras everywhere and hopefully there is a security person watching customers.   It's up to them to do something about it, based on store policy and law enforcement regulations.

What I have learned from serving on several "special grand juries"........

There are professional theives who specialize in stealing from drug & department stores & make a very good living at it.  These folks are called "Boosters" & are in ALL age ranges.

The "professionals" know where every security camera is & know how to avoid them when "boosting."  The "expert boosters" work alone.  Most however, work in groups of 2-6 people depending on how large the stores are.

The ones that slip up (beginners) are usually caught in the act.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

It makes no difference if it looks like they "need" it or not (like food)!!! Stealing is stealing and should ALWAYS be reported. Always. Stealing for any reason is wrong and hurts everybody.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I would MYOB ...... there are security cameras everywhere and hopefully there is a security person watching customers.   It's up to them to do something about it, based on store policy and law enforcement regulations.

No one is watching customers.  Those cameras are not live, they just record.  If I see someone stealing food I look the other way for a couple reasons.  One, hunger makes people do things they wouldn't ordinarily do.  Two, a desperate person might be carrying a weapon.  I go about my business.  

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

No one is watching customers.  Those cameras are not live, they just record.  If I see someone stealing food I look the other way for a couple reasons.  One, hunger makes people do things they wouldn't ordinarily do.  Two, a desperate person might be carrying a weapon.  I go about my business.  

There's a way to report it, without the shoplifter knowing. 

Honored Contributor

I think that I can relate to taking food because I remember a time when I felt like I had to do it if I wanted to eat that day.

I was not treated very well and I didn't even get to have lunch money for school.  If I felt the need to eat I had to take something.  I was never greedy.  I went through the line and would take just ONE thing so I could put something in my stomach for the day.  

I didn't do it every day.  I was absolutely scared snotless that 'she' would find out and I'd get beaten to within an inch of my life.  Often my fear was bigger than my hunger.

In retrospect, I always wondered if the people working there actually knew it and just didn't say anything.  Clearly, by looking at me, you could tell that I didn't get much to eat.

Anyway, by virtue of that, I do feel badly if somebody needs to take some food so that they can eat that day.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I think that I can relate to taking food because I remember a time when I felt like I had to do it if I wanted to eat that day.

I was not treated very well and I didn't even get to have lunch money for school.  If I felt the need to eat I had to take something.  I was never greedy.  I went through the line and would take just ONE thing so I could put something in my stomach for the day.  

I didn't do it every day.  I was absolutely scared snotless that 'she' would find out and I'd get beaten to within an inch of my life.  Often my fear was bigger than my hunger.

In retrospect, I always wondered if the people working there actually knew it and just didn't say anything.  Clearly, by looking at me, you could tell that I didn't get much to eat.

Anyway, by virtue of that, I do feel badly if somebody needs to take some food so that they can eat that day.  Smiley Happy

I'm so sorry you had such a brutal childhood.  I wish I could have been your childhood friend and had you come over my house all the time to eat and to have a safe refuge. Smiley Sad 

Honored Contributor

The person has to leave the store before they can do anything.

I have worked in retail and you can't say anything until they are out the door.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Truffle.  That's very kind.  I didn't really get to have friends (unless I was able to hide the fact) or do stuff.  I was the Cinderella.  Had to do all the cooking, cleaning, ironing (ugh!), and whatever there was that needed to be done.  That took up a lot of time for a little kid and guess what - of course I never did it good enough.  ha!   witch

Respected Contributor

geesh, @chickenbutt  i'm really sorry to hear about this. i had no idea.  when they say life isn't fair they aren't kidding.  i hope life is better for you now.