Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do? Car dealership question.

Take it back.  Show them.  Assume they are going to help you.  Most likely they have a better way of removing it than you do.  

Respected Contributor

Is this the dealership where you purchased your car?  I would talk with the service manager first thing Monday morning.  I'm sure they will clean your car to your satisfaction.  As for the scratch, hopefully they will believe you.  If necessary talk to the person who sold you your car.

Our dealership service, bends over backwards to keep repeat buyers coming back.

Honored Contributor

Make them fix it. When I took in my Avalon to replace a tire they scratched up one of my wheels. I made them buy me a new one. They did not like it. I also made them replace the tire at no charge since my car was new. I told them I did not care if the tires had warranty on them or not. They said they could not warrant them because they did not sell them to me. I told them they sold me the car so they sold me the tires. I told them it's not my fault you would not let me purchase road hazard on the tires when we bought the car. Not paying for a new tire for a new car that I paid lots of money for. Since then they have also had to give me a free battery. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, take it back to the dealership and ask for the Service Manager, not just the service person.  Call first and find out who the SM is.

When I bring my car for service at the dealership, they bring the cars back already washed.  I would expect that.

Honored Contributor

Just take it back and show them, I'm more than sure they'll take care of it for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I see cases like this all the time on, "The People's Court".

People claiming that their car was damaged by a car wah, tow company, etc.

Judge Marylin Millian will ask the Plaintiff, "Did you inspect the car, before you drove it home? Did you see them do the damage? Do you have a witness that saw them damage your car? No? Then you just have a theory that they damaged your car, but you can't PROOVE one way or the other that they actually did damage your car. Verdict for the Defendant."

Now, it would be nice if they did offer to fix it, but since you can't conclusively proove that they did damage your car, they are under NO legal obligations to do anything to fix the damage.

Sorry kid, but you are s.o.l.

Valued Contributor

Absolutely return to the dealership ASAP; and tell them you will not give them a good review when you get their survey.  The service writers and service managers rely on good review from the surveys for their monthly 'bonuses'.  And the manufacturer also scores the dealership on metrics set up on their service.  They should have put down a paper mat on the inside of your vehicle and made sure it was not soiled when returned to you or had any type of 'grease' or finger prints on the inside.  

Helen852
Valued Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I have family members that work at a car dealership.  Take it back.  They will fix it for you. 

ITA they will fix it for you - especially something so minor.  It's worth it to them in repeat business and word of mouth.

I'd approach it with the assumption that they're going to do the right thing.  Don't start out being snarky with them (not that you would), just tell them the damage done and end with "when can I bring the car in and get this resolved?" 

Valued Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Judge Marylin Millian will ask the Plaintiff, "Did you inspect the car, before you drove it home? Did you see them do the damage? Do you have a witness that saw them damage your car? No? Then you just have a theory that they damaged your car, but you can't PROOVE one way or the other that they actually did damage your car. Verdict for the Defendant."

Now, it would be nice if they did offer to fix it, but since you can't conclusively proove that they did damage your car, they are under NO legal obligations to do anything to fix the damage.

You watch too much TV.    OP, don't let the above reply discourage you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

You watch too much TV.    OP, don't let the above reply discourage you. 

I agree.  And just because someone isn't legally obligated doesn't mean they won't take care of it.  Good businesses often do exactly that because it usually results in a happy customer who will tell friends and then generate more business.  Especially in cases for something pretty small, as this one is. Not everything comes down to legalities.

It absolutely is worth it to pursue this.  What I would do would be to call them right away, and ask when I can come in so they can look at it.  I wouldn't wait until I could actually go in since I would want it on record that I called early on.

The odds are good that they will take care of it.  And if they don't, then the OP will know that she should go elsewhere in the future.