Trusted Contributor

Re: What were your fave Halloween treats when you were young?

For me it was Mallo Cups! I haven't had one in years.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

For me it was Mallo Cups! I haven't had one in years.

Me too!

Respected Contributor

Believe it or not, I was never allowed to trick or treat......I was allowed to go out with my church youth group and trick or treat for UNICEF and then come back to the church for a small party afterwards , but never to go out and trick or treat for candy for myself.....

Esteemed Contributor

Sweet Tarts and Smarties were my fav with the $100 Grand bars coming in second.  I would eat just about anything but the Candy Corn & Tootsie Rolls (oh, and anything that had coconut)!!!  I remember getting a lot of plain Hershey Bars & Reese's  Peanut Butter Cups.  I'd eat those eventually but they were my least favorite.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

I loved those popcorn balls!  i saw them at the store the other day and wanted to get some but they seem so much smaller now!  i also loved those little pieces of bubble gum Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Caravelle

Remember this one?

Caravelle

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee

I used to love Caravelle! Your post brought that memory back! I seem to recall that the jingle was kind of "Joni Mitchell-ish"! Too funny!

Way better than 100 Grand!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@just bee

I used to love Caravelle! Your post brought that memory back! I seem to recall that the jingle was kind of "Joni Mitchel-ish"! Too funny!

Way better than 100 Grand!

You might appreciate this article then.  Just an excerpt for you...

Where Have All the Candy Bars Gone?

A brief meditation on the Kit Kat Dark, late-model capitalism, and loss

As a kid, back in the '70s, I'd mourned several bars: The Marathon, a simple rope of caramel covered in chocolate, which came in a bright red wrapper that included a ruler on the back, a ruler that was commonly used by those of us with male self-esteem issues. The Choco-Lite, whose tiny air pockets provided a piquant crunch, the oral analogue to stomping on bubble wrap. And, most persistently, the Caravelle, which combined chocolate, caramel, and crisped rice.

I realize these are the same ingredients as in the 100 Grand bar. But I can assure you the two shouldn't be compared. The 100 Grand always leaves me with a mouthful of rubbery caramel. The Caravelle tasted more like a pastry: The chocolate was thicker, darker, full-bodied, and the crisped rice had a malty flavor and what I want to call structural integrity; the caramel was that rarest variety, dark and lustrous and supple, with hints of fudge. More so, there was a sense of the piece yielding to the mouth. By which I mean, one had to work the teeth through the sturdy chocolate shell, which gave way with a distinct, moist snap, through the crisped rice (thus releasing a second, grainy bouquet), and only then into the soft caramel core. Oh, that inimitable combination of textures! That symphony of flavors!

Around the time I was starting high school, the Caravelle mysteriously disappeared from the racks, which meant that I spent countless hours describing it to one or another bemused shopkeeper, girlfriend, therapist. I was frantic, inconsolable, really annoying.

The disappearance of all these delicacies caused me to start asking a larger question: How is it that candy bars go extinct? .

...Caravelle's disappearance, for example, dates back to the acquisition of Peter Paul by Cadbury in 1988.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee

Well, thank you so much!

This guy is obviously a candy bar connoisseur! Loved his detailed description! AND, I do remember all of the bars he spoke of! (that's scary in and of itself!)

While I mourn the loss of bars past, I still have no problem finding candy to satisfy a sweet tooth! LOL and thank you again! Smiley Very Happy

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I loved Almond Joy, Reese's peanut butter cups, Mallo Cups, Smoothie's, Junior Mints, Hershey bars, Peppermint Patties, sixlets, chick o stix, pixie stix, tootsie rolls, and bubblegum.  To this day I absolutely love tootsie rolls.