Honored Contributor

Re: What were your fave Halloween treats when you were young?

[ Edited ]

I liked Dots. They were dots of jelly candy in assorted flavors also jujubes

Trusted Contributor

I loved getting:

Bit O' Honey

Sugar Daddy

Double Bubble Gum

Brach's Caramel Rolls

Necco Wafers

Wax Lips

Root Beer Barrels

Chunky Bar

Satellite Wafers

I disliked getting:

Small boxes of raisins

Popcorn balls

Good & Plenty

Dots

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I liked Dots. They were dots of jelly candy in assorted flavors also jujubes

@cherry  I was always afraid I'd lose my tooth fillings with those...tried them both once and that was it...LOL

Probably the only jelly type of candy I liked were Chuckles Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Butterfingers 

box of crackerjack with the prize inside

one house always had a lollipop "tree" where you were asked to pick a lollypop

tootsie roll pops

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

I cannot remember back that far as to what was my favorite candy (probably Reese cups), but I remember Halloween being so much fun.  I lived in a large Italian neighborhood and every house had refreshments.  We had to come in and talk to the ladies and they would have homemade cookies and snacks, along with some type of punch. 

So many children do not have this opportunity and they are really missing out on a great time, not just for the refreshments but also for the adult interaction.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Peanut butter cups and Sky Bars

Super Contributor

I use to like candy corn, but not any more. It tasty nasty now. Nothing like when I was a kid. I use to  love the Bit-of-Honey too. Good memories. 

Regular Contributor

As I have stated before, I'm from the stone age, but my favs were Bit O'Honey and Junior Mints (minis).  All you ladies must be from the 70's as most of you have chosen items that my kids would have loved.  I have to say that my son is deceased at 41, but my daughter who is now 41 loved Smarties and Sour Balls.  I also loved anything Hershey's and M&M's were always popular.Smiley Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

We'd get a few full-sized candy bars.   We always knew who gave those out and went to those homes every year. 

I lived about 1 mile from Rick James. He used to hand out full size candy bars and hand each child about 2 or 3 and let us choose which kind we wanted of the assortment we had. I always thought that was so cool and when I am an adult, I am going to do that and I do. A neighbor a few doors down from him used to decorate their garage scary with Halloween music and had hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks and warm apple donuts. I loved that too. A lot of people would do that where I lived actually. We all knew them so our parents were ok with us eating and drinking that. It was cold and would sometimes snow on Halloween so it would warm us up.

Oh, I always liked Kit Kats, 3 Musketeers and Carmello bars. I also liked starburst, Swedish Fish and Twizzlers.

Very fun!

I never liked Starburst.   I liked Twizzlers, but I preferred choc as a child.

I loved chocolate when I was a kid. My mom was a healthy eater, which meant we were too (whether we liked it or not) so we didn't get to eat a lot of candy really. As I have gotten older, I don't like chocolate as much at all and most of the month, I hate it. Except that time. It leaves a weird aftertaste now it seems.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

popcorn balls...I make them for my grandkids now....