Honored Contributor

Re: What to do with Hummels?

Hippie Dippie LOL @Bri36

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Ok; enough with the "this generation" disparaging remarks.  I'm 56, and frankly, I don't want anyone else's "collectibles" either.  I appreciate that some people love them, but I don't.  And I don't need someone being annoyed with me because I don't.  (And I think my mother is.)  Things like that that will be passed down to me will be stored in a box in the cellar.  I won't sell them, give them away, or donate them because I would feel guilty.  But I don't need attitude because I don't like or want them.

Edited to correct my age!  Yikes!!  Made myself older!!!

@faeriemoon, don't feel guilty about getting rid of these.  If you don't want them, get rid of them.  You shouldn't hang on to things out of guilt. 

I know it sounds hippie dippie, but that just creates negative energy.  You should surround yourself with things you love.  Just because somebody else loved them doesn't mean you have to love them

Thanks, @Bri36.  I'm actually a little hippie dippie myself. Woman Happy

Super Contributor

I'll bet my kids won't have any guilt trip spending the cash I will leave them from selling my stuff ....

Right ??

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

I'll bet my kids won't have any guilt trip spending the cash I will leave them from selling my stuff ....

Right ??

@Big Joanie

That's correct.  

They can start their own, special memories.

Thank goodness my Mom never 'guilted' me to make

her memories more important than mine.  

Thank you, Mom!

Honored Contributor

When I am dead and gone ,my kids can do whatever they wish with my stuff

Just because I have collected a few things, I see no reason they should be stuck with them ,for the rest of their life

I can't imagine, being that much of a control freak in life ,and certainly not after death

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I will be holding on to one of my mom's favorities . . . again, sincere thanks for all your input! . . . :heart

If you don't mind my asking, which one are you keeping? just curious to know which one was your fav.

dee

@deedledeedeedle it's one I was fascinated with as a child (I just turned 60 so this figurine is old).  The best I can describe it is a little girl reaching up to put what looks like a coin in a tall box.  This Hummel is actually a bank that has a key to open the plate on the bottom of the figurine.  My mom always told me it would be valuable one day and it always will be in one form or another . . . thanks for asking!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

At the end of the day, no one is going to pay for your memories.

You're making it an 'emotional transaction.'

Those special memories are yours only.

No matter how much someone appreciates that inanimate object,

those memories can't be transferred to the new owner.

It's just a financial transaction to them.  

That's something you'll have to make peace with before

giving them away, or there will be so much guilt these

objects aren't loved like you love them. 

Suggestions of eBay, auction houses, speciality stores..if it was a

coveted item, you could kill 2 birds w/ one stone & make some $,

but you've said upthread, it's not about the money. 

But it's been said by many, you can't give these figurines away.

If you gave the whole lot to charity or Goodwill/Salvation Army,

that one lucky collector happen to be there on the day they were displayed...wow...the joy it would give them!  

Release the object.  But the memory will always be there.

Good luck.

She is making it an emotional transaction because it is. 

And there is nothing wrong in doing so. 

It isn't like OP has a house full of everything her mother ever owned, and can part with nothing. It is about having something that was special to her mother, and to many other people who used to collect the same thing, and trying to get it into the hands of someone who would value them for the joy a collection brings (and that isn't about money value).

I don't think making this attempt is at all strange, fruitless, or wrong to do. The truth might be that it can't be done in the way the OP would like (keep the collection together and have it go to someone who will appreciate it), but I give OP five stars for trying to honor her mother's memory in this way. 

I read here so often, about people being so angry about having to clean out a parent's home, it's just nice to know that there is still someone who treasures the things their parents did, and want to see them preserved in some way that honors that memory.

Thank you so much for this @Mominohio, it really made my morning!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Oh goodness, what wonderful friends you are!  I didn't expect to get this much help, great tips and ideas.  Thank you all so much for your time, thoughts and experiences as they brought back many great memories!  Bless you all and sincere thanks again . . .  Heart

Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

@momtochloe  I'm basically in the same boat only my collection was my grandmother's. She'd be over 120 years old so mine are some of the earliest editions. Many years ago they were worth a lot and then the market was flooded with Hummels. Their actual "value" depends on the bee located on the bottom of each one. 

No one in the family wants them, I'm going to have to downsize, so I'm looking for a new home/homes too. I've received some good leads from this thread-thank you. 

There aren't that many collectors any more and it is a shame-

@kdgn I completely understand as many of her collection were brought over from the old country so they are the real deal (before they were mass marketed).

Sigh.  

Respected Contributor

My cousin gave his entire collection to his church for their annual sale.   Because a church was selling them, the buyers were very fair with their "donation."   The money went to a good cause--and the buyers are cherishing their new find.   (I have many and mine will eventually go that route).  But I know it's hard to let go.