Regular Contributor

Re: What to do with Hummels?

[ Edited ]

Mtc Bronner's Christmas Wonderland in Frankenmuth Michigan has a huge hummel museum. Maybe you can contact the store and see if it would be interested in purchasing your collection. The store is family owned so the owners or whoever is involved that you may talk to may be sentimental and understanding of your story. If they are unwilling to buy them outright maybe you can just donate to them. I don't know where you live or how large your collection is but maybe if interested someone at Bronner's would be willing to reimburse you for shipping cost. I don't know to what extent you are willing to take this endeavor.  This is worth a try.

Collecting pretty much anything isn't what it once was. I am an intense Christopher Radko ornament collector. I once labeled the individual boxes to keep track of how many I had but after giving some away, switching things around, and buying more that count is no longer accurate. I think I could easily be close to 500 in Christmas alone not counting other Radko seasonal ornments like Valentine's, St. Patty's, Easter, and Halloween. I have at least a good 30 years ( I hope) to enjoy them before worrying about downsizing or worrying what will happen to them when I'm gone. I already gave some to my niece who is 24 since she already had her own place. After saying she was interested I came to learn that she didn't like them and wanted to give them away! I asked her to give them back but she never did so I'm scared to find out if she pitched them in the trash. At this point I don't want to know! This stings because she was my only hope of appreciating and inheriting these beautiful creations that are so sentimental to me. These would only carry sentimental value as I display them and have clipped and tossed all original tags. I don't have kids and don't have much of my family so my niece was my only hope especially since she is only 12 years younger than me.

When my mom passed I went through the same thing of trying to find homes for things she loved that we her kids weren't interested in keeping. It was a sad and tough job as we got rejected for things we thought had value from old books to old records. I can understand how hard this is and I wish you much luck.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie I agree! My niece is very flippant about stuff. Its the generation she is in. I gave her stuff I asked her if she wanted she said yes and then changed her mind after I went through the work of preparing it for her. She is not sentimental and I fear has left behind or flat out dumped things I gave her with the intention of them being sentimental the several times she has moved.

One time at a dinner with several other family members we were looking at pictures. I never knew she never saw a photo of her paternal great great grandmother. She wanted an original photo but I told her no way. I was basically like another time way in the future. She would totally lose it or ruin it as she isn't thoughtful enough or mature enough to handle stuff like that.   

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe, head to the library and look for the book on Hummel's. I have a few but understand they aren't valued as they once were. Right now, I think EBay might be a good way to get rid of them. There's always donations if worse comes to worse. It's just the times as they are now. We have the book we found (Barnes & Noble) that tells about those as collectables. Good luck visit the library.

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@momtochloe.......I was lucky to inherit the one piece of Hummel my mother had.  That was the only piece she had.  It was the little girl ashtray.....and unfortunately she didn't get the little boy.......Do not know how she got this one, but it is really cute.  I had it appraised once at an antique shop from the Hummel book.....at that time it was $35......  They told me that if I had the boy, the pair would have been much more valuable. 

If I may, please don't just get rid of the collection you have without knowing the value of what you have.  It is true about not many people collecting these kinds of things today.....the younger folks don't appreciate these kinds of things.......  Before turning it over to a care facility (like someone suggested), or to sell the pieces on e-bay, find out the value of what you have and then take it from there. 

I sort of have the same dilemma with my Wedgewood collection......  Have no children, and my cousins don't have a need for this.....  In fact, I have several different collections I don't know what to do with. 

If no one wants them, they have no value.

Esteemed Contributor

I would try talking with someone at Bronners like the other poster suggested. I am sure they have customers that are collectors since they still sell them.

Selling on Ebay isn't easy...especially with breakables......... and you have to claim it on your taxes....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok; enough with the "this generation" disparaging remarks.  I'm 56, and frankly, I don't want anyone else's "collectibles" either.  I appreciate that some people love them, but I don't.  And I don't need someone being annoyed with me because I don't.  (And I think my mother is.)  Things like that that will be passed down to me will be stored in a box in the cellar.  I won't sell them, give them away, or donate them because I would feel guilty.  But I don't need attitude because I don't like or want them.

Edited to correct my age!  Yikes!!  Made myself older!!!

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Ok; enough with the "this generation" disparaging remarks.  I'm 56, and frankly, I don't want anyone else's "collectibles" either.  I appreciate that some people love them, but I don't.  And I don't need someone being annoyed with me because I don't.  (And I think my mother is.)  Things like that that will be passed down to me will be stored in a box in the cellar.  I won't sell them, give them away, or donate them because I would feel guilty.  But I don't need attitude because I don't like or want them.

@faeriemoon - if you box them up and put them down the basement then you're leaving them for your kids to deal with!  Don't feel guilty - it's so unfair of parents to send their kids on a guilt trip over stuff...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon, don't feel guilty about getting rid of these.  If you don't want them, get rid of them.  You shouldn't hang on to things out of guilt. 

I know it sounds hippie dippie, but that just creates negative energy.  You should surround yourself with things you love.  Just because somebody else loved them doesn't mean you have to love them

Super Contributor

I am amazed at the hostility another persons opinion creates ...

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  I'm basically in the same boat only my collection was my grandmother's. She'd be over 120 years old so mine are some of the earliest editions. Many years ago they were worth a lot and then the market was flooded with Hummels. Their actual "value" depends on the bee located on the bottom of each one. 

No one in the family wants them, I'm going to have to downsize, so I'm looking for a new home/homes too. I've received some good leads from this thread-thank you. 

There aren't that many collectors any more and it is a shame-