Honored Contributor

It is beyond painful to ask this question but I have tried to ensure that my mom's beloved Hummel collection goes to a good home with no positive results.  As time is ticking I am planning on donating her collection to a charity.  I always assumed they would find a good and happy home so this is hard for me.

I guess my question is, how does one value a large collection?  The majority of her figurines come from Germany and are many decades old but I cannot find anyone that would appreciate them.  If you know someone that would be interested in having them I would love to hear from you!

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to do with Hummels?

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe an antiques store might take them??????

Honored Contributor

Since yours are so old, they probably have some value.  Try Google and search for Hummel Appraisers in your state.  Also, you might call some collectible dealers and ask them how to get an appraisal for your Hummels.

Valued Contributor

I've heard that the do sell pretty well on ebay, as there are still collectors out there. Although it's a hassle to list them all separately. Have you tried that route?

Respected Contributor

Also thinking aloud, would a local personal care home take the collection to display?  They may bring smiles to residents who live there.  You are such a wonderful daughter to want to find just the right place for your mom's cherished collection.Cat HappyHeart

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

I have my Grandmother's Hummels -  from before WW11. It does make me sad to see the low prices they sell for on e bay. I wish I could buy them from you. How many do you have? Some are still pretty valuable. There is a Hummel store in North Lima, Ohio that may be able to help you to value them accurately.

Honored Contributor

According to Kovels they are almost worthless. A lot of things are like that now.

If you know of a church that has  white elephant sales, or  a Santa  booth at Christmas ,for children to buy things for their families, they might take them

It's hard to see things that our mothers have cherished become  worthless to others

https://www.kovels.com/latest-news/10-collectibles-not-worth-collecting-anymore.html

Respected Contributor

You can also have them appraised (for a fee should you want to know the value; sounds like some may be worth a lot) and then send them to an auction house. 

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe an antiques store might take them??????

@Plaid Pants2 thank you so much for this but the antique stores I have contacted in the area have not been very receptive . . . and meow alert for me their idea of antique is the 60's so these figurines are not of interest to them . . . grrrrrr.

Honored Contributor

I had probably 12-15 Hummels. About two years ago I put all but three of them in their original boxes and off they went to Goodwill. 

Of the remaining three, I put one on our hutch and two are still in our curio cabinet.....where I never look at them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?