Honored Contributor

What's Up With Your Leftovers?

I'm home alone, except for the kitties, and had to promise to take it easy. 

Just had my first turkey sandwich of the season, and omg, we have so much in the way of leftovers.  After getting out of the hospital, I promised not to even try cooking, we got THANKSGIVING IN A BOX from an upscale vendor.

Everything came in a huge box with two layers.  More than enough for a good size group.

Delicious, too, but there sure is a LOT of food leftover.  It was so good, I'm considering calling them to see if they will have CHRISTMAS IN A BOX.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Re: What's Up With Your Leftovers?

Hey, @NoelSeven!! Sorry to hear about your hospitalization. I hope you're on the mend!! I hosted this year, and we didn't have a ton of leftovers, plus I sent everyone home with lots of food. Hubby and I are on the homestretch. Im slowly whittling away at my last piece of pie. Lol!! That big box idea sounds really nice. I'll tell ya, it is a ton of work to cook for a crowd. Between that and cleaning and hostess duties, I didn't sit down except to eat or sleep for two days! Smiley Wink I told my husband we might need to switch it up next year, but everyone loves the food and leftovers, so we'll see. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

My husband will eat a plate of all the same exact meal for two weeks in a row if I don't get it vac sealed and frozen! 

What I do is probably kind of weird but sometimes I'll have a meal of just a small bowl of mashed potatoes, or mashers with a little turkey and gravy on top.   Yesterday for lunch I just had a small bowl of the green beans that I make (almonds, mushrooms, pancetta, and lemon - love!).   I'll just have one of the things heated up in a bowl and I'm happy!

I like turkey sandwiches too - just a whole grain bread, a little butter, and the turkey and I love it.

One thing I also enjoy that probably sounds a little weird is to take some of the turkey breast and put it into a grilled cheese sandwich.  Now, this is not at all the same with some pressed, sliced turkey breast that you buy at the grocery store in those packages.  But with some REAL turkey breast from the turkey you recently roasted yourself, it's really good - just the turkey and some melty cheese.  I use whole grain bread - butter the outsides and grill in a nonstick pan on the stove.  yum!  Smiley Happy

I usually put aside a 2lb package of the turkeyd (vacuum sealed and in the freezer it goes) for turkey chili.  That's very popular here.  I make up a big batch, freeze it in portion sizes, pop it out of the L&L bowls, and vacuum seal so it stays perfect for a very long time.

Love turkey!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Had enough leftovers for a couple meals.  Done with leftovers and ready to move onto something new.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  I do a "mash-up" too!

Dressing/cranberry sauce/turkey/gravy/mashed potatoes warmed and mashed up together... YUM... : )Smiley LOL

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

lovestoteach wrote:

@chickenbutt  I do a "mash-up" too!

Dressing/cranberry sauce/turkey/gravy/mashed potatoes warmed and mashed up together... YUM... : )Smiley LOL

Hey Loves!  You're brave.  I'm too food-neurotic to mix all that stuff up together and eat it like that.  hehe (yeah, I know - I'm crazy)

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven  You were in the hospital?  What happened are you OK?

How did you find an upscale vendor?  We did WF and the turkey was succulent and delicious and we had way too much food.

I wonder if there is a clever way, at all, to ask people to contribute by bringing a dish next year (or at Christmas) if we have it here again.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Dear Noel,

I am so sorry to hear you were in the hospital.Cat Sad  Heed your doctor's orders and get well. I think the Christmas meal should be from the same delivery service, make it easy on yourself for awhile. I am glad I found you posting, I get worried when I don't see you or LuLu2,

Let those furry babies snuggle with you, that relieves a lot of stress and I'll bet they're with you now.Take care and rest,my friend.Heart

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

We had ham.  I used some for homemade pizza yesterday, the rest will be used for soup............

Honored Contributor

So glad you are enjoying your Thanksgiving in a Box~!  I cooked a small bird this year for just the four of us but to tell you the truth, I'm ho-hum about turkey but everyone else just loves it!  We don't have a ton of leftovers but enough for a dinner and sandwiches. LOL... by the time I'm done cooking everything I can't stand the smell.... 

I'm going to remember your Christmas in a Box suggestion...  

Hope you're feeling better very soon and getting stronger every day!!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*