Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Happening to the Other Patients?

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Amid this crisis, I haven't heard the news talk about the other patients that hospitals get.

What's happening to those who have heart attacks, strokes, auto accident victims?

I hope that their care hasn't been lessened because doctors and nurses are overwhelmed with Corona patients.

I also think about the secondary victims of the virus.

By that, I mean, those who have undiagnosed cancer now, that could be treated at an early stage, but isn't, because of the virus.

Are dialysis patients still getting their treatments?

There is such a ripple effect from this virus, and my heart goes out to everyone who is affected by it, whether directly, or indirectly.

My hospital was limiting visitors to one last week. I don't know what protocol is right now, only that momma tried to send a dear friend who is battling lung cancer flowers yesterday and the hospital is not allowing florists to bring flowers. We do understand, and think its for the best. 

This virus and all it has affected and all it will in the future, which is really unkown to us at this point is scary and heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Around here we have a designated place for testing. It is in a fairly remote area not near either of the hospitals. The four people that I know of in our town that have the virus are not hospitalized.

Honored Contributor

The Navy is bringing hospital ships into NYC and San Francisco for patients without the virus.  Each will hold 1,000 patients.  I suppose those not so sick are being fast-tracked in and out of the hospital.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

FYI........If you listen to the constant reporting on the Covid19 crisis, most all of your questions are answered. If not, Google it or go to CDC or WHO website.

Honored Contributor

I am sure the hospitals take care of patients by the seriousness of their illness whether it be heart attack, cancer, COVID 19, etc.   What I have read, the COVID 19 patients are alone and checked upon and most that are seriously ill, die alone.  In a flash, we are living in different times.  This is serious and people should treat it as such.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am sure the hospitals take care of patients by the seriousness of their illness whether it be heart attack, cancer, COVID 19, etc.   What I have read, the COVID 19 patients are alone and checked upon and most that are seriously ill, die alone.  In a flash, we are living in different times.  This is serious and people should treat it as such.

According to USA Today, radiation and chemo treatments are postponed indefinitely due to the compromised immune systems and danger of contracting the virus.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

According to USA Today, radiation and chemo treatments are postponed indefinitely due to the compromised immune systems and danger of contracting the virus.

For some patients that's a very grave situation. I truly hope no one dies prematurely while waiting. Morally, that would be another casualty of this disease. I read a report about a gentleman who was scheduled for an organ transplant and it has been called off because of COVID-19. His story was really sad because he needs that transplant. Hope he hangs on as long as needed and defies expectations.

All the more reason to get serious about COVID-19 across the whole country. You and I might not fear getting the virus (though I do to an extent), but other treatments are affected from all this. That's why medical professionals have been so adamant in the face of constant minimizing and denial.

But there are always people who deny difficult and frightening things for as long as possible, and sometimes continue to deny even in the middle of them. (Not referring to you personally as being in denial, @Isobel Archer   At the same time, in the interests of not getting into any kind of debate with you, I'm going to limit my further responses to you. There's a history of unending thread tangents in the past and I don't think that benefits anyone.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The hospital where I retired will establish a designated unit for any patients with the virus; most likely the one with the negative pressure rooms. This is a locked unit and can best provide the isolation care of these patients. Critical virus patients would be in ICU, and virus free patients with critical health issues would be in the CCU. Patient care for med surg, pediatric and OB patients would be unaffected. Any patient suspected at risk for coronavirus is not being triaged/treated in the main ER.

Trusted Contributor

In my area, ONLY surgeries deemed an emergency are being done. DH has had his surgery (knee replacement) postponed indefinitely. Good friend has had his ankle surgery postponed indefinitely. Best friend has had her knee and shoulder surgeries postponed indefinitely; and the list goes on. Understand that all 3 of these people are barely able to walk so none consider it elective; one is now in a wheelchair. Still, all are considered "not necessary at this time" due to what's happening.

2 family members are receiving chemo; that changed 2 weeks ago. The number of chemo patients greatly outnumbers the non-hospital facilities in the county so chemo has stopped. Once a slot becomes available, the next person on the list takes that slot. And yes, it's based on things no one wants to hear/know: if you're an older person, you're going to be pushed aside for a younger person. Both family members are in the "older" group; one is 79, the other is 83 and they've been told this by their doctors, the centers and fellow patients.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

In my area, ONLY surgeries deemed an emergency are being done. DH has had his surgery (knee replacement) postponed indefinitely. Good friend has had his ankle surgery postponed indefinitely. Best friend has had her knee and shoulder surgeries postponed indefinitely; and the list goes on. Understand that all 3 of these people are barely able to walk so none consider it elective; one is now in a wheelchair. Still, all are considered "not necessary at this time" due to what's happening.

2 family members are receiving chemo; that changed 2 weeks ago. The number of chemo patients greatly outnumbers the non-hospital facilities in the county so chemo has stopped. Once a slot becomes available, the next person on the list takes that slot. And yes, it's based on things no one wants to hear/know: if you're an older person, you're going to be pushed aside for a younger person. Both family members are in the "older" group; one is 79, the other is 83 and they've been told this by their doctors, the centers and fellow patients.

That is terrible. I don't have a solution. But I don't think older people should be pushed aside! I'm very sad about this. I don't see how this can be happening. That is exactly the "black tag" situation people said wouldn't and couldn't happen, except with people who don't even have the virus. Can't we fix this somehow? Pop up hospitals, more gear. I don't know.

I'm also worried about the doctors and nurses we need dying, leaving us with no one to care for the sick. It's like a different country.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr