Trusted Contributor

What is your definition of A GOOD HUSBAND? How has your definition changed? What advice would you give to a young woman?

What is your definition of A GOOD HUSBAND?

How has your definition changed?

What advice would you give to a young woman?

Examples of joy...examples of puzzlement...examples of exasperation...???

Thank you!

-Solar Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your definition of A GOOD HUSBAND? How has your definition changed? What advice would you give to a young woman?

No man (or woman) for that matter is perfect. Get used to that fact and embrace it. You aren't going to "change" him, so don't go into it thinking you will. People change over time, and you will and so will he, over decades of marriage. Know it from the beginning, and pay attention to ways to embrace/accept those changes, or your marriage will fail.

He is not your knight in shinning armor. I warn my son about what young girls are expecting today based on the books/movies out there that portray men as their saviors. Women need to be strong, able to take care of themselves and others as well.

A good husband (or spouse in general) is honest, kind, understanding. They will be a provider when needed, accept help, give help, respect you and others.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your definition of A GOOD HUSBAND? How has your definition changed? What advice would you give to a young woman?

What is your definition of A GOOD HUSBAND?

One that treats their special lady as an equal or above.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

This is a great topic that I think about all the time but I can't post my answers here.

Super Contributor

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast,
it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil
but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts,
always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

Author: The Bible: 1 Corinthians 13:4

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Panda Wrangler perfect post

Contributor

Ditto Panda Wrangler's post....my mother gave me this same advice when I was young.....it was great advice then and now.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/6/2014 mominohio said:

No man (or woman) for that matter is perfect. Get used to that fact and embrace it. You aren't going to "change" him, so don't go into it thinking you will. People change over time, and you will and so will he, over decades of marriage. Know it from the beginning, and pay attention to ways to embrace/accept those changes, or your marriage will fail.

He is not your knight in shinning armor. I warn my son about what young girls are expecting today based on the books/movies out there that portray men as their saviors. Women need to be strong, able to take care of themselves and others as well.

A good husband (or spouse in general) is honest, kind, understanding. They will be a provider when needed, accept help, give help, respect you and others.

I completely agree with this post. Along with that, I will add - what will the female bring to the relationship? The old saying "Know thyself" is extremely important. Always check your motives. Have realistic expectations.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

A good husband believes in the sanctity of marriage. He may have seen it in his parents or he may have learned it in his religion, or maybe some other way but somehow he understands this concept and has taken it completely to heart.

Honored Contributor

I do think it's different for everyone. What one would consider a great attribute, another would not.

The quote from Corinthians says it all.

It also appears that a lot of women tend to think that a man has to change to suit them and seem to have the idea that they are some sort of great prize that the man should be grateful for and a lot of men have been raised with the same attitude which is no wonder relationships don't work and there are so many splits. Who can be happy under those conditions.

I would and have given this advice to many. As long as there are no malicious intentions, just accept the differences in each other and remember that this is the person you love. Each can choose to change to make the relationship better but it can't be forced by the other.