Honored Contributor

What do you do, when you can work in some "me time"?

In retirement, it's no longer hard to find "me time", so when the question is asked, I try and remember what it was like when I worked. Usually I saw it as housework time or do it while I can time.

Are you able to find "me" time now? How do you enjoy spending it?

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you do, when you can work in some "me time"?

I read.

Honored Contributor

Not having children , even when I was working, I have always been able to find time for myself. Now I am retired it is even simpler. I love to sew and embroider and spend a lot of time in my sewing room as well as at my sewing club. This summer my DH and I have gotten into genealogy as well and this is something we do together. We spent a lot of time over the summer wandering around cemeteries. Not a bad thing to do - outside in the nice weather and getting some exercise, esp. in Pittsburgh where most cemeteries are on hillsides so there is a lot of exertion involved. Sometimes the view of the city from these cemetaries is amazing, as Pittsburgh is a beautiful city.

Respected Contributor

I have more hobbies than normal people. I love to read, sew, crochet, use my embroidery machine, make jewelry, cross stitch...and I have to have every color of thread, yarn, fabric, etc...so I collected all of these wonderful crafting supplies, so I would be able to spend every free moment making something. And, then I got grandsons. 4 of them. Another on the way. All boys. All of the time. I guess they are my new hobby. They love to paint ornaments or glue stuff together, but other than that, I haven't made anything in forever. So I read when I get a chance.

Respected Contributor

Bubble bath...facial...my nails...a nap.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I have more hobbies than normal people. I love to read, sew, crochet, use my embroidery machine, make jewelry, cross stitch...and I have to have every color of thread, yarn, fabric, etc...so I collected all of these wonderful crafting supplies, so I would be able to spend every free moment making something. And, then I got grandsons. 4 of them. Another on the way. All boys. All of the time. I guess they are my new hobby. They love to paint ornaments or glue stuff together, but other than that, I haven't made anything in forever. So I read when I get a chance.

Dusty,

I use to sew puppets for our story hours at the library. Another woman had some that she must have bought on line. I loved getting lost sewing that way. It's a thought.

Honored Contributor

I have nothing but "me time."  And it gets tedious.  I get on the computer and put CNN on muted unless I see an interesting headline. 

After being a mom to four active daughters and living with them, and my grandchildren, for a good part of my life, while still working full time (40 years), it was a hard adjustment to retire and then get sick six months later (that is now 11 years ago).

I guess I'm used to it now.  I live with my little daughter who has Lyme, but she prefers to be alone in her room most of the time.  She does go out when the weather is nice, but unless it's a doctor or dentist visit for me, she goes alone.  I admit I am a burden because I need a wheelchair.  That can get very tedious for someone.  I can use my Rollator if there is not a lot of walking time.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

for sure it's when i'm on the treadmill everyday.  the phone can ring, the doorbell can ring and i won't get off.  the only thing that could disturb this time is if the house caught fire.  i also workout with a trainer twice a week and very rarely miss that.

that is my time strictly for me and i don't share with anyone and everyone understands that.  it's good for my mental as well as my physical health,

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite "me time" activity would be hanging out on my sofa with my cats, coke zero or coffee, and watching old "I Love Lucy" or "Law & Order SVU" shows. I know it sounds very lame....but, hey, I find it to be a true joy!!!:Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Read, listen to podcasts, catch up on the backlog on my DVR, play a video game, paint my nails, deep condition my hair, knit, play on the internet, go out for coffee or a meal, go shopping, learn something new, practice French with Duolingo, go someplace new, all kinds of things.