Esteemed Contributor

Re: What degree of immigrant am I?

I think what we neglected to add was, at least in my case, first generation American.  I'm well aware that I'm not an immigrant.

No need to reseach that.

Honored Contributor

Aaaaand...use the word 'immigrant' in a post or thread and current politics will of course (did anyone doubt it?) be introduced. It was subtler yesterday; today? Not so much. And NOT, I hasten to add, by the OP, who will have her innocent thread shut down if others grab the ring & go for it.

When I started my genealogy research I was positive that, just like many or most others, my relatives had come over in the mid-late 19th or early 20th C. But...oops. Both sides had arrived in the early 1600s. And while many if not most of us are a big, fragmented mixture, not all of us are that, either. I'm 85% one ethnicity and 13% two others, and that's it. The remainder is not determinable, as with most people.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My great grandmother was a Cherokee Indian (on my Father's side).

My mother's grandmother and her grandfather came over from Ireland and Scotland.

My daughter has always gritted her teeth when she hears me say that I'm not entirely from immigrants.

So, on Christmas day I spit in a tube and she mailed it off.  About 2 weeks ago she presented me with a piece of paper that had a map on it and showed that my heritage (whatever it's called) is Scotch/Irish and a tiny percentage something else.  PERIOD>

I said, "OK, so that's what we've always known, your grandma's grandparents came from Scotland and Ireland.  However, am I supposed to believe that my mother and father's relatives are BOTH from Scotland and Ireland"?  Ha! Ha!

I know for a fact that my father's side of the family is predominately (not entirely) American Indian. Evidently, it didn't come through.

If you knew my maiden name (it is one of the most generic in the country) and if you can believe this, my grandmother married a man with the same generic last name as her grandfather but they weren't related!  It is a very, very American name.  

I just think this is so funny.  I've felt like this stuff is pretty much made up.  I think this proves it.  I know it's very intricate but if you could see this map...

This was one of the most popular companies most people use.  I don't know if it means my mother's side of the family had super strong genes and they only show through, but I am telling you that my Dad's side of the family is not represented.

I do think in some small (depending on how you look at it) way if for no other reasoning than we weren't just plopped here.......

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer

"I recently went to see a production of the Lillian Hellman play, Watch on the Rhine, about a family in WWII."

Bettie Davis & Paul Lukas starred in the movie version.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I no longer go into the details because I have already done so in multiple DNA threads, but they don't "make it up" and there is gross misinformation believed by many people about what may or may not be found on DNA testing.

It is very difficult to pinpoint DNA as Native American for several valid reasons with any given individual; that's a fact. In addition to that, only half of your father's DNA will appear in your results.

I have a NA relative, as do many Americans; it does not show up in my DNA. That doesn't mean the family story wasn't true (it's been verified) and it doesn't mean that all DNA testing is bogus. It means that DNA testing isn't all that people think it is, and won't necessarily show you all you hope it will.

Honored Contributor

I am Canadian born and raised but my father was American living in Canada....does that make me American/Canadian?We are living in the USA so am I an immigrant?

Honored Contributor

As far as I know we are 2nd generation American.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

This article link will explain why your American Indian DNA is missing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

I am Canadian born and raised but my father was American living in Canada....does that make me American/Canadian?We are living in the USA so am I an immigrant?

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

"A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country."

Technically, yes, if you were born in Canada. But you were already an American citizen at birth and so the US is not "foreign" to your birth status. Commonly, the term is used to refer to someone without US citizenship.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Do you have an American passport?  Canadian?  Are you a dual citizen-American/Canadian?