Respected Contributor

📲💻What are your personal "Netiquette" rules?

[ Edited ]

Another spin off from other threads

what about Internet Etiquette?

Do we carry our etiquette we believe in

when we go over to the way

we post on the Internet?

What "netiquette" rules are important to

you?  I think I'd start with

1 -- Read the standards and policies of the

site and remember I agreed to abide when I

signed up and when I post

2 -- Respect other posters and treat them

the same way as when I'm face to face with

people in my every day life

What are your personal netiquette standards?

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

Re: 📲💻What are your personal "Netiquette" rules?

Here's  a humorous list but has many truths. Smiley Happy 

"5 simple questions that can ask as a litmus test for your next online interaction (and hints of the answer you should be aiming for):

1.    Would you punch someone in the face (or at least want to) for saying to you in person what you’ve just typed? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

2.    Would you blush if you overheard someone else saying this in public? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

3.    Would you ridicule your children for saying this to you? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

4.    Would your mom and dad wash your mouth out with soap for what you’re about to type? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

5.    Does your statement take the conversation (on whatever topic it may be regarding) in a positive direction? This is a biggie!

I don’t want someone to ever feel that disagreement with my position is unacceptable. I LOVE a good debate. However, if all you’re trying to do is be a jerk, I have a pretty standard mental response: this person is a troll. Disengage. Just like I’m trying to teach our children, you can disagree without being disagreeable."

http://www.humoroushomemaking.com/internet-etiquette-101-minding-your-manners

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Use proper english.

Never, never, never, never use an apostrophe to indicate a plural.  Never.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Don't shout by using all caps or underlining for emphasis. 

Read the thread before you comment.

Respected Contributor

Learn to spell...please!

Advice...not advise.

Their, there, they're...use them properly.

You're....not your when saying You Are.

Use paragraph breaks. 

No dissertations. We get it in the first 100 paragraphs.

Honored Contributor

@JDJ555 wrote:

Here's  a humorous list but has many truths. Smiley Happy 

"5 simple questions that can ask as a litmus test for your next online interaction (and hints of the answer you should be aiming for):

1.    Would you punch someone in the face (or at least want to) for saying to you in person what you’ve just typed? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

2.    Would you blush if you overheard someone else saying this in public? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

3.    Would you ridicule your children for saying this to you? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

4.    Would your mom and dad wash your mouth out with soap for what you’re about to type? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

5.    Does your statement take the conversation (on whatever topic it may be regarding) in a positive direction? This is a biggie!

I don’t want someone to ever feel that disagreement with my position is unacceptable. I LOVE a good debate. However, if all you’re trying to do is be a jerk, I have a pretty standard mental response: this person is a troll. Disengage. Just like I’m trying to teach our children, you can disagree without being disagreeable."

http://www.humoroushomemaking.com/internet-etiquette-101-minding-your-manners

Don't know how to set up "BEST ANSWER" but IMO NOTHING will beat this.

That said, most of us now and again fall into Simple Question 5. { know I do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Melania wrote:

Learn to spell...please!

Advice...not advise.

Their, there, they're...use them properly.

You're....not your when saying You Are.

Use paragraph breaks. 

No dissertations. We get it in the first 100 paragraphs.

I agree with everything that you have said.

I would only add that for people to know that it's "WOULD HAVE", and not "WOULD OF"

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

On Facebook:  We don't need to see everything you are doing every second of everyday.  The TP run can be left out. Thanks. These are the people who to me are so desperate to prove they have a life. It's very sad.

I've seen some go so far to post something they are doing and it isn't all true. but love all the kudos they get. Guess they forgot they told us all before what was really the deal. Oops.

Respected Contributor

Even if you disagree with another person's opinion, it's always nice to hear another perspective on an issue. You can disasgree with someone without being disagreeable.

If a poster is rude, deliberately mean, or insensitive... ignore them...just as you would try to ignore a rude person in public. If you want, press the "report inappropriate content" button and let the moderator deal with the person. Responding to them will just start a "war"...which is just what they may want.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

If I have nothing of a positive or constructive nature to contribute to a thread, pass it by.