Honored Contributor

Re: What - a 3 game suspension is all?

I've said it on these forums before, and I'll say it again. The only way for things to change in professional sports in general lies directly through the fans, who spend the almighty dollar on the tickets, licensed products, athlete endorsed products, etc. 

Vote/speak/be heard through your money. If enough people are upset with a team employing an animal abuser, a wife abuser, an out of control player (on the field or off), a drug user, just stop buying tickets, stop buying the apparel and other items that the franchise and the head organization make money from.

We can write letters, we can blog about it, we can be outraged on forums and the eleven o'clock news, but what really speaks is the money trail. Until it is not profitable for teams to keep players that aren't smart enough to know how lucky they are to have the opportunities they do, nothing will change.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

The NFL applies punishment unevenly but what are you suggesting.........execution?  It's a brutal game.

Who mentioned execution?

He should have been ejected from the game for starters.  He was warned before the game even started and it obviously didn't do any good.  He should also get a very hefty fine. 

I didn't hear about the 3-game suspension but I sure hope it's not allowed to be enforced during pre-season.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I've said it on these forums before, and I'll say it again. The only way for things to change in professional sports in general lies directly through the fans, who spend the almighty dollar on the tickets, licensed products, athlete endorsed products, etc. 

Vote/speak/be heard through your money. If enough people are upset with a team employing an animal abuser, a wife abuser, an out of control player (on the field or off), a drug user, just stop buying tickets, stop buying the apparel and other items that the franchise and the head organization make money from.

We can write letters, we can blog about it, we can be outraged on forums and the eleven o'clock news, but what really speaks is the money trail. Until it is not profitable for teams to keep players that aren't smart enough to know how lucky they are to have the opportunities they do, nothing will change.

The problem is, this player's jersey sales will probably go UP in Cincinnati. Football fans can be rabid in their devotion.

Does anyone remember the hit Patriots' Receiver Darryl Stingley took by Raiders' Jack Tatum in 1978? Stingley was made a quadriplegic. The NFL vowed to take control of the game then. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack you are probably right.  It's clear that there wasn't a lot of class by many of the fans in that stadium that night.  They were throwing things at Ben and when they were interviewing him on the field, there was extra security.

Way to keep things classy Cincy! 

Respected Contributor

I read an opinion piece on Burfict's suspension- $500,000 is the amount he will lose in pay for those three games. He's wracked up fines already: $50,000 and $69,454.

The union will help with an appeal and judging by the injuries he's inflicted in the past, the appeal should be denied. Video evidence is there. The author of the opinion piece said that missing the games is more of a detriment than the money. He needs to reform himself as others have before someone is hurt beyond 'repair'. His team needs to apply the pressure. 

Respected Contributor

Pac Man Jones and Burfict are saying Antonio Brown was faking his injury

and he should win a grammy.......

really a grammy?....you 2 dunces

Super Contributor

I quit watching the NFL and NBA

GOOGLE the arrest records

Remember the movie "The Longest Yard" ?

also....all the drugs....steroids :-(

College football is next to go :-(

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

Pac Man Jones and Burfict are saying Antonio Brown was faking his injury

and he should win a grammy.......

really a grammy?....you 2 dunces

OMG.  If this wasn't so sad it would be funny.  What an embarrassment. 

Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Adrian Peterson gets a year suspension for spanking his child. I does not matter if you agree or disagree with spanking. The point is consistency of enforcement by Pro-football

He didn't "spank" his child.  He BEAT a 4 year old with an object until he drew bood.  There is a big difference. 

Honored Contributor

Re:W hat - a 3 game suspension is all?

Years ago I was a huge football fan.  In recent years I have lost all interest in professional sports.  Way too many thugs in professional sports these days.