Honored Contributor

Re: What Was the Worst Job That You Ever Had?

Before I turned 16 and was able to get a real job I baby sat the kid next door after school each day. She was austitic and very difficult to care for. She was 2 years old , did not speak at all. if i put her in her crib she would spend hours rocking it and banging it against the wall. If i held her she would hit me over and over and over so basically I kept her in her playpen all the time, where she was most content. She would throw all her food or spit it on me.To make it worse the parents would often not come home after work and would instead go out so I would be over there all evening. If I wasn't home by 10 PM my Mom would come over so I could go home to bed and then when the parents got home - often in the wee hours of the morning my Mom would really give them a piece of her mind. Fortunately, I didn't have to do that job long before I turned 16 and was able to get a job in a bakery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first summer job in a bank before I started college.  It was my boss.  She constantly barked and me telling I'm doing everything wrong.  She ended up screaming at me.  Everyone would hear.  I was a nervious wreck.  I needed the money and I just hung in there.  Eventually my boss was fired.  But by then September was rolling in....and I had to leave anyway.  How many times I wanted to quit..... Since then, I've never had a problem and I love my current job.

Honored Contributor

The worst was working as a maid in SunValley, Idaho in my 20's. I was a ski bum and got to ski For free when working for the Sun Valley resort.  Dirty, back breaking work  Is maid/ housekeeping and I was paid $3.10 an hour which was the going minimum wage at the time. I got one free meal a day and lived in dorm room the resort provided for their employees at the cost of $100 a month.  When payday came, I usually owed THEM money after all my charges were taken out of my check.  What I would not do to ski for free! LOL!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Working a part-time retail job as a cashier and sales person.  I also had a full-time job.

My regular job was a desk job and I had a hard time having to stand for long periods of time.  I worked evenings and the money in the cash register had to balance out or you couldn't leave.  I always had a feeling of dread when I had to do this.

And there was nowhere in the store where you couldn't be paged - even in the loo!

It was quite the experience.

Honored Contributor

My first job after I had gotten a divorce.  I had never worked and had no job skills or employment record although I had finished college.  I worked as a file clerk in the radiology department of a large hospital.  It was horrible.  All the married doctors hit on you and it was mind numbing work.  I stayed there for 18 months.  

Honored Contributor

My first job was at Spiegel, a mail order company in Chicago back in 1965.  It was located near the stockyards and the smell was horrible.  I'd already be a little sick when I got off the bus from its fumes.  I didn't mind too much when I got layed off about 6 months into it.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I worked as a security detective in a large (11 floors) city department store.  The part of the job I hated the most was sitting behind a 2-way mirror in the dressing room, watching people try on clothes.  I felt it was an invasion of privacy.  What's worse was we were teams, 1 male and 1 female, so when I was in the ladies' dressing room, there was a male with me.

Honored Contributor

Telephone company file clerk.

There are no doubt phones in the hinterlands now, after almost 55 years, that probably don't function correctly TO THIS DAY thanks to my overwhelming ineptitude.

I later did line assembly and retail sales, and was bored to tears doing both, but nothing equaled the combination of time pressure, volume pressure, and interpersonal pressure in that horrid NJ BELL office of yesteryear.

The pay was FABULOUS but never came close to balancing the ruination of the summer I spent doing it.

Respected Contributor

I worked assisting an ophthalmologist.  He was a great teacher and taught me a lot.  But he was a very divisive person, who always had the office in an uproar.  He seemed to take delight in stirring up trouble between the employees.  

About six months into the job I received a raise, but was so disgusted with the work conditions that two weeks later I gave my 2 weeks notice.  He became angry and said "I just gave you a raise!" Except for work related conversation, he never spoke to me for the next two weeks until I left.  There was definitely a personality flaw with that man.

Honored Contributor

lulu2 wrote:

I worked as a security detective in a large (11 floors) city department store.  The part of the job I hated the most was sitting behind a 2-way mirror in the dressing room, watching people try on clothes.  I felt it was an invasion of privacy.  What's worse was we were teams, 1 male and 1 female, so when I was in the ladies' dressing room, there was a male with me.

Oh dear!  The Security Detective part would be so interesting and I love that.  But the part with the dressing rooms had to be - I don't know...I don't think I have a word for that.   Smiley Wink  That they had a guy watching the women with you is pretty creepy, eh?  That had to be profoundly uncomfortable for any person with any sense of privacy.