Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Is The Strangest Thing That You Put In Your Salad?

Oh I love watermelon and feta too! So good!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

One of the best salads that I've ever had was a chicken salad at a Middle Eastern or Indian restaurant. I don't remember everything that was in it but it had spicy chilis as one of the ingredients that made my nose run while eating it.

My nose runs when I eat all the time. Doesn't have to be anything spicy or stove-hot either. I take allergy pills, Mucinex, Sudafed...and still it runs. Sigh....

@Moonchilde  My mother used to say that was a sign of old age.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

One of the best salads that I've ever had was a chicken salad at a Middle Eastern or Indian restaurant. I don't remember everything that was in it but it had spicy chilis as one of the ingredients that made my nose run while eating it.

My nose runs when I eat all the time. Doesn't have to be anything spicy or stove-hot either. I take allergy pills, Mucinex, Sudafed...and still it runs. Sigh....

@Moonchilde  My mother used to say that was a sign of old age.

Getting there for sure, but not quite yet.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde  and how about a little spider soup?

Honored Contributor

@silentgirl wrote:

@Moonchilde  and how about a little spider soup?

Drawn and quartered, totally pureed, and boiled in oil.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

You ladies have me in the mood for salad.  I think I'll make a Cobb salad tomorrow (minus the avocado) 

Me too! I am making a little one right now!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Not really strange, (I don't think, anyhow) ... pepperoni and pepperocinni (?) peppers.

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I willing to bet that most of us have put a little flesh ad blood in our salads, especially if we've grated vegetables and got too close to the blade. Woman Surprised

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Super Contributor

I had lunch at a friends house, and when she served the salad, I didn't even want to try it. It sounded too weird.  It was green leaf lettuce with tuna fish, feta cheese, pine nuts and seedless grapes - with raspberry vinaigrette dressing.    I'm glad I tried it because it's now my favorite salad combination.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I love beets and bleu cheese (or goat cheese) in salad. I didn't know that was considered weird. There are lots of salads at restaurants here that have that on the menu most are just beets, bleu or goat cheese and arugula with usually walnuts. I love those!! I make them at home once in while and roast the beets the oven(peeled) with olive oil, S&P in tin foil but they are SO messy and I look like I murdered someone whe I am done no matter how neatly I try to do it. 

I can't think of anything really weird I put into salads. I eat a lot of salad but I do dislike iceberg lettuce in my salads. It is so boring. One of my favorites is arugula and really too many to list but the ones I buy most are mesclun, radicchio, kale, spinach, bok choy, watercress, escarole and butter. I like to change up my lettuces a lot. It can get boring using the same lettuces all the time.

I do one thing that I don't consider weird but many people have commented on is that  I hate bottle dressing and don't have it in my house because no one uses it. My dressing of choice I make in the bottom of my wooden salad bowl I have owned forever. I put minced garlic at the bottom of the bowl and I use my pestle and crush it up a bit more in the bottom of the bowl to release more garlicky liquid. Then I add red wine vinegar, S&P and a little dijon mustard. I mix those up with a tiny whisk and add olive oil while I'm whisking. I do it by eye but we normally like it with more vinegar than oil. Then I throw my salad ingredients on there and mix. I like just a light coating of dressing. I hate it when it is drowning in dressing. Over the years I have perfected the amounts of each ingredient in the dressing. This how my mom made it and I make a couple of others with different vinegars and different acids like lemon, grapefruit, etc.. I add the rind too when using citrus. I also make blue cheese dressing too and my own ranch but we usually like the vinegary based dressings the most. I just love them. We both like a lot of garlic too. My mom always got a lot of compliments on her dressings and I do too. I have given this recipe at least a couple dozen times and showed many of my friends how to make it.

Probably the weirdest thing I like is to roast my tomatoes. In the winter we buy mainly heirloom grape tomatoes and roast them til they burst. They are so much more flavorful like that. We get our fruit and veg mostly from our CSA and they have the best heirloom tomatoes and produce in general and in the summer we don't roast them because they have great flavor on their own. 

I would say every night we have dinner here at home we have some type of green. If it isn't a full on salad it is spinach sauteed with garlic, a little olive oil and butter. Sometimes it is both. 

Sorry so long!

@Irshgrl31201, I could eat a HUGE bowl of greens, roasted beets, goat cheese, walnuts & balsamic vinaigrette!!! I often buy the peeled cooked beets at Trader Joe's and put them in my salad. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........(ETA: when blood oranges are in season, I'll put some in with that salad. It is honestly one of my favorite things to eat in the world. Just puts it over the top. Any orange -- or even ruby red grapefruit will do, in a pinch, but the blood oranges in it are TDF!!!!)

As to the OP, I honestly will eat almost every fruit, vegetable, grain, nut, seed, or cheese in my salad. I prefer vinaigrette dressings greatly over creamy ones. I'm kind of a kitchen sink type salad person. Just put it ALL in there!!