Honored Contributor

What If Software Developers Spent More Time on Beneficial Applications?

I was thinking how much time software developers spend on silly stuff for today's social media applications.  I started to wonder what if the emphasis was on useful things--applications that could really make life easier for people, applications that could work easier, ways to make life easier for people with disabilities?

It is sort of painful to think about all this brain power and money being spent on ways to make people look like they have dog ears in apps.  

IF you had the talent as a developer, what would you work on?  Just something to think about!

I think I would like to make something that would keep track of the clothes I have, show me photos of all the pieces, date them, make notes of washing methods, or stains or things that need to be fixed.  It would be like an ipad on the closet door.  You snap a photo, add the date and info. by holding up the garmet.  Then categorize it, and you'd have a complete inventory!  Wouldn't YOU like that??  WIsh I had the skill!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: What If Software Developers Spent More Time on Beneficial Applications?

I just never put anything BACK in the closet if it needs to be "fixed"...........never put away new clothes that need to be shortened.    This works for me...........because I get tired of looking at it hanging on a door.......and I get busy and fix it(!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Sooner

Hi to you.  If i had the knowledge that some tech geniuses possess, my choice would be much different than yours. I have little interest in an inventory of my clothes, never have been

I would like to see an app that everyone could use that would scan tneir bodies and let them know if there is a serious problem in it's functioning. Them hopefully they would be smart enough to find out what is going on.

Way too many chalk up serious issues up to, something they ate, or maybe something they drank. When it dawns on them something serious is happening, many times the "Golde Hour" has long past, thus their percentage of minimal damage to their body, or worse, happening to them.

That is what I would like to see. Even though I have been a techno-geek since high school, there are very few apps I use, either on a cell phone or a tablet. Cell phones I wish had never seen the light of day. Sure, they are nice to have, but human to human connections have taken a big hit because of them.

I have said many times on these forums the negatives I see with these things, including the talking/texting while driving. Enough said. Have a good one today,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Software developers are doing amazing things in the fields of Science and Medicine as well as anti terrorist applications. Israel leads the way in this technology. The media just dose not report it or you just don't read about it. But it is happening.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Software developers are doing amazing things in the fields of Science and Medicine as well as anti terrorist applications. Israel leads the way in this technology. The media just dose not report it or you just don't read about it. But it is happening.

You are right--I wish the media would spend more time on things that are happening in the science world.  

I was just thinking about all these social media apps and time and money spent and started to think wow what a lot of our recources in time and money go to this now!  It is staggering when you think of it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

You are right--I wish the media would spend more time on things that are happening in the science world.  

I was just thinking about all these social media apps and time and money spent and started to think wow what a lot of our recources in time and money go to this now!  It is staggering when you think of it.

I agree the reports and the inventive advances are out there.   I think the issue is that for some odd reason we seem to live in a society well-versed in the details of things like celebrities and reality tv shows but not that interested in shows or news articles about science.  In the microcosm of this forum, we can see evidence just noticing which threads get the most views and the most responses.  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Sooner,

They have been spending time and money on beneficial apps.

I've been interested in the apps developed for medical aids.  I believe the most popular are apps designed to help the elderly and disabled remember their medicine, what and when.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I agree the reports and the inventive advances are out there.   I think the issue is that for some odd reason we seem to live in a society well-versed in the details of things like celebrities and reality tv shows but not that interested in shows or news articles about science.  In the microcosm of this forum, we can see evidence just noticing which threads get the most views and the most responses.  

Yes I agree. I am aware as the company I work for does a lot of UW for these companies in Israel. It is mind boggling some of the things they are coming up with. 

Honored Contributor

The 15 Best Apps For Medical Aid

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-medical-apps/

The Top 7 Best Medical Apps For Doctors

http://blog.capterra.com/top-7-medical-apps-for-doctors/

Oh and on.

Honored Contributor