Trusted Contributor

Re: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

Guilty Diettian confession:

I love both potato and macaroni salad💚I don't eat them often, but, when I do, no guilt really.  Life is too short don't let food or fear of it,,control you!

I'm not an egg eater, so, no egg.  Also, no olives (hate them)!  But, I do enjoy

generous amount of mayo; don't like a dry potato or Mac salad. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whenever our friends all get together and food is involved - which is 99% of the time!!!  they beg me to make potato salad.  It's so time consuming but I will admit I do mak a killer salad.  So good but it's all about the dressing, at least mine is.

This is also pretty much a family secret recipe so I'm not to sure I should be spilling it.  Oh heck, here goes.

I'll use whatever potatoes I have on hand.  I've also gotten smart and peel & cut up and boil this way - so much easier rather than peeling afterwards.  Time consuming and you have to wait for them to cool.  (Please don't call me crazy because I recently discovered this method!!!)

Add in onions, celery, radishes, carrots, sometimes black olives, sometimes eggs.

Mix Hellmann's, enough olive oil & vinegar to taste to make a thick-ish dressing.  I also like to add my spices to the dressing so it all distributes evenly.  Besides a little salt & pepper to taste, the rest of the spices is whatever sounds good to me right then.  Pour over veggies, mix carefully.  If I do eggs I put them on top.

May not sound special but I guarantee you'll ask for seconds!

Respected Contributor

Re: picklesRe: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

@Andreatoo wrote:

My husband and I recently (re)discovered the wonder that is a shallot.

I could eat them in just about anything and I think I'll put them in a potato salad this weekend!

Saute in butter in first? Carmelized and a little crispy? Yum!

That sounds amazing!

I roast potatoes in the oven with a little butter or olive oil with onions, and it's divine.

I layer sliced onions on the bottom of a pan, place slices of potato on it, drizzle with butter or olive oil, cover with foil, and roast.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

cannot say i have ever heard of or seen a potato salad made from mashed potatoes!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

My husband and I recently (re)discovered the wonder that is a shallot.

I could eat them in just about anything and I think I'll put them in a potato salad this weekend!

Saute in butter in first? Carmelized and a little crispy? Yum!

That sounds amazing!

I roast potatoes in the oven with a little butter or olive oil with onions, and it's divine.

I layer sliced onions on the bottom of a pan, place slices of potato on it, drizzle with butter or olive oil, cover with foil, and roast.

@JJsMom

that sounds good! Here's the thing with onions though, while I enjoy them cooked and in some things I'll pass on the raw.

the shallot, while really similar, I will chop up raw and through in a tuna salad! I don't know what it is, maybe a bit sweeter and milder? nuttier?

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@JJsMom

that sounds good! Here's the thing with onions though, while I enjoy them cooked and in some things I'll pass on the raw.

the shallot, while really similar, I will chop up raw and through in a tuna salad! I don't know what it is, maybe a bit sweeter and milder? nuttier?

Yes, shallots are milder than regular onions, so that would explain it. :-)

When I roast the potatoes with raw onions, they end up caramelized from the butter and olive oil. :-)

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

LOL, I know I am in the minority, but I cannot stand potato salad or macaroni salad. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From Noel: I've made this for parties and people love it. Instead of shredded cheddar, I make little small cubes of it.

salad.htmlhttp://dishingwithleslie.blogspot.com/2012/06/loaded-baked-potato-salad.html

Ingredients:
4 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup freshly chopped chives, divided
8 strips of bacon (6 for the salad and 2 for topping) cooked and crumbled
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
Serves 4 - 6 (Simply double list of ingredients if you need a larger serving)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together your mayonnaise, and sour cream. Make sure the two are completely combined and then add half of the chives, cheese, and pepper. Taste mixture to see if you prefer some salt. (I usually add a dash or two.) Let chill in fridge for a bit. Meanwhile, peel and cube your potatoes in to bite size pieces. Put in a large pot, cover with water, and boil until fork tender. About 20 minutes. *You need to keep an eye on them. If they cook too long you'll end up with more of a mashed potato consistency when you mix them with the sauce.

When potatoes are ready, drain and let cool just a bit. *Let them cool a lot if you plan to serve chilled. Put potatoes in a large bowl or dish and combine with sour cream mixture. Fold in most of your crumbled bacon. Top with remaining half of chives and remaining crumbled bacon.

LESLIE'S NOTES: I typically  make this dish with Russet potatoes. I gave the suggestion of Yukon Gold because I have made it using those as well. Both are excellent! I also like to leave a little bit of the skins on the potatoes (especially if using Russets) to give a really baked potato taste. But that's just me.

Esteemed Contributor

Red potatoes only, Vidalia onions in season and shallots after, diced green pepper, sliced eggs on top. My dressing is mayo and a little mustard, EVOO and sour cream.

Respected Contributor

I like most any potato salad.

My mother's was my favorite.  Is that just because it's your mother's?  I don't know.

Boiled red potatoes (hate them hard), Miracle Whip, hard boiled eggs mixed in and slices on top, green pepper, chives, and I think the winner was bacon.  I think she used to mix in a LITTLE of the drippings all through the salad.  Don't need much for taste. 

I probably don't have it complete even.  She didn't have a recipe, she just made it.  Tasted better if it could sit for hours or eat in next day.

Wow, I miss my mother and all the great things she cooked.

Hyacinth