Honored Contributor

Re: picklesRe: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

I like the traditional all-American tater salad but I add diced marble jack/cheddar cheese and tomatoes to it...YUM!Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I will take a good potato salad over any kind of pasta salad any day. I use Yukons or red potatoes only. About 3-4 pounds of potatoes, plenty of onion and celery, 4-5 eggs. I sprinkle my still-warm potatoes with a mixture of olive oil and white wine vinegar. Salt and pepper; I think potato salad needs a good sprinkling of salt. Sometimes I will throw in a good sprinkling of dill.

Mayonnaise, a sprinkling of pepper, and a good Dijon mustard with some of my canned zucchini relish (we swear this zucchini relish takes so much like pickle relish, only it's better as it's not quite as sweet....good stuff).

Honored Contributor

Celery, purple onion, sometimes sliced black olives and hard boiled eggs in a mayo/sour cream dressing with a heaping tablespoon of horseradish.

If it's just for my husband, I replace the horseradish and olives with sweet pickles.

Respected Contributor

Re: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

@hckynut ... Here you go, John ...... Catch! Smiley Wink

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Fressa ...Yes, I garnish with egg slices too sometimes!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@tansy ... Sometimes I add a little horseradish also. DH loves it that way, but the grandchildren...not so much!

Honored Contributor

"What do you like in your potato salad?"

Uh, POTATO!  A true Potato...Salad.

This is the norm in my world....😀

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Red potatoes, Vidalia onion, boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, dill relish ( recent addition that I'm surprisingly liking), Hellmann's mayo, yellow mustard, and celery seed. And I throw a dash or two of Tabasco in just about everything I make cause that's how I roll. Ha!

My MIL made THE BEST potato salad I've ever put in my mouth. She used Miracle Whip instead of mayo. I've tried everything under the sun to duplicate her recipe but it's never even come close. My mother made good potato salad, too, and she typically used sandwich spread for most of her dressing.

IMHO, making good potato salad is a bit of an art.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like the traditional all-American tater salad but I add diced marble jack/cheddar cheese and tomatoes to it...YUM!Woman Very Happy

I never heard of that version but I am going to try it.  Sounds really good.

Esteemed Contributor

Potatoes...Eggs...Onion...and Hellmans Mayo...