Respected Contributor

What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

[ Edited ]

It's potato salad season! So what do you like in your potato salad? I like to make homemade potato salad. I went to the deli a couple days ago, and they had a laminated sheet with about 10 different kinds of potato salad and their ingredients listed on it. None of them were the way we like ours.

We like white potatoes, hard boiled eggs, celery, onion, green olives, a little dill pickle, mayo, yellow mustard, and salt. When it's done, I sprinkle paprika on top of it.

My SIL said that putting eggs in potato salad turns it into "egg salad." Not around here. I don't like sweet pickle, relish, bacon, or cheese in my potato salad.

How do you like yours?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

@Yardlie

I'll have some of yours please.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Onions, celery, hard boiled eggs, mayo.

We grew up on German potato salad. 

I like both kinds of potato salad.  I don't like a lot of extra ingredients in them.

Frequent Contributor

My recipe is the same as yours minus the olives. And we love it.

Honored Contributor

i like to use red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes, spring onion, celery, hellmanns mayo, salt, pepper, and sometimes a bit of bacon for a basic potato salad.

i do make another one that is almost a meal.......chicken breast, potatoes, peas, eggs, pickles, hellmanns mayo, salt/pepper, and some pickle juice/lemon juice. these ingredients are all cubed into small pieces.  this is a great light summertime dinner.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I do make a great potato salad, it's a family recipe and everyone always loves it.  I don't measure, I go by taste and experience.  I use cold boiled potatoes, boiled eggs, onions, dill piclle (or pickle juice), mayo, a touch of yellow mustard and a touch of salt.

Honored Contributor

Potatos creamed just like mashed potatos (because Mom did it that way), mustard, mayo, sweet relish, hard boiled eggs, and sprinkle of paprika.  Simple but so good.  I will take the dill pickles on the side, no problem eating those by themselves. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I keep my homemade potato salad fairly simple: potatoes, Hellmann's mayo, hard boiled eggs, onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper . I sprinkle paprika on the toip and sometimes garnish with egg slices .

I love potato salad and macaroni salad. I have not found any deli version that I like which is good. I really have no self control when this is in the fridge. haha!!

Respected Contributor

I make Denver potato salad and we love it. Everyone always wants me to bring it to cookouts! Potatoes, celery, egg, mayonaise, salt,pepper, onion and a tablespoon of vinegar. The secret to it is to boil the potatoes with the peel on them then peel and cube them. Crazy but it really does make a big difference in the taste. Now I am going to have to make some as you have made me think about it!! LOL

Honored Contributor

picklesRe: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

[ Edited ]

Sweet pickles (not relish), hard-boiled eggs, Yukon Gold potatoes, onion, parsley, and celery.  I like to sprinkle a little red wine vinegar on the cubed potatoes while waiting for them to cool.  Mayonnaise and dijon mustard in my sauce.