Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2014

I started this yesterday at the gym. I got about 40% through but it never got better.

Product Details

I returned it today. It isn't often that I can't get through a book, but between the folksy talking, the improper grammar, and the vivid hunting scenes I decided to pass. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 sunala said:

Thank you Lainey for keeping this wonderful thread going every month! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I'm now reading The Woman who Wasn't There by Robin Gaby Fisher. It's a true story about a survivor of the World Trade Center who was seriously wounded in the attack and whose fiance was killed there. The sub-title is "The True Story of an Incredible Deception." I'm half way through and I can't imagine how this brave woman, who became a famous leader for survivor's rights, deceived anyone. It's very good and I can't wait to get back to it.

Happy reading everyone!

Sunala, please don't miss the terrific documentary. There are two documentaries about her but I'm referring to the one with the same name as the book you're reading, which originally aired on Discovery ID. It's unforgettable, seeing her in action.

Honored Contributor

I finished Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi. Wonderful novel. I loved it. It's a love story but also about race, immigration, class and culture in America, Great Britain and Nigeria. She has a simple, elegant writing style, not much symbolism and no literary gymnastics; she lets the story unfold naturally. It's like you're sitting with her and she's telling it to you. I'm so glad I read it. I couldn't put it down. Even though it's an award-winning bestseller, it's not something I would ordinarily read and I am so glad I did, I encourage everyone to sample it.

Then as a palate cleanser I read Agatha Raisin and the Perfect Paragon by MC Beaton, once again being so grateful to Lainey for the monthly thread and grateful to all the lovely people of this forum, esp. Smokymtngal, for the gift of Agatha Raisin Smiley Happy

Now I'm reading Strange But True by John Searles. It's a mystery, it is strange and it isn't true. I read another book by him (Help for the Haunted) that was a great read but the end was incredibly stupid. I'm enjoying it but I don't trust him.

Super Contributor

On 9/1/2014 SydneyH said:

Just started The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin........

Hope you enjoy it - such a different book but I couldn't stop reading!

Super Contributor

I've read three books since my last post and I wouldn't say any of them will make my favorites list. First - THE VIRTUES OF OXYGEN - a novel about a woman in an iron lung and the friendship she forms with a young woman. I'm sorry but I thought this was a silly book with no redeeming values. Skip it. Next the number two book on the NY Times best sellers list - MEAN STREAK by Sandra Brown. I read it all the way through but I thought the whole thing was inplausible - I can't seriously recommend it. Next INTO THE DARKEST CORNER. this book was soo scary I can't recommend it either - it's about a woman in a seriously abusive relationship - I can't believe I read it but once I started I wanted to find out what happened - it was so vivid I had nightmares.

I'm almost 2/3 of the way through with MIDWIVES - I can't say I'm really enjoying it but I have to see what happens.

I have an e-book waiting that I checked out from the LIBRARY! I've never done this before and it was so easy to do. it's called THE END OF EVERYTHING and I'm anxious to finish MIDWIVES so I can start it!

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 SAgal said:
On 9/1/2014 SydneyH said:

Just started The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin........

<br />

<br />

Hope you enjoy it - such a different book but I couldn't stop reading!

I liked it. Really different. Characters unlikable, but keeps you going.

Honored Contributor

I just finished Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by David Shafer. A little different but thought provoking regarding the computer age. At times slow going for me but overall a worthwhile read.

Respected Contributor

I've already posted this a couple times, but I ADORED The Orchardist.

Honored Contributor

By Myself and Then Some---Lauren Bacall

Esteemed Contributor

Finished THE LONG WAY HOME by Louise Penny. Loved it and now want to make a summer/fall trip to the Lower North Shore of Quebec! LM