Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2015

Thanks everyone, I got some good books this month. LM

Honored Contributor

Finished Girl on a Train - as everyone said - slow going. Not as good as Gone Girl.

Starting Michael Robotham's Watching You. I do enjoyed the series and preferred if both Joe and Vincent working together than one or the other. I'm just starting and only Joe is in it so far.

Respected Contributor

I finished The Bone Clocks (David Mitchell). It's a very long book, and sometimes confusing, but the destination was worth the journey. I didn't know what to expect next. I love that about a book. Totally unpredictable with flashes of brilliance, and a very moving ending.

I also finished Station Eleven (Emily St. John Mandel) another fabulous, unpredictable book. What are the odds I could get two such great books in a row. I'm not always a fan of the back and forth in time and characters, but Ms. Mandel did it brilliantly.

I could not decide what to read next. I skimmed A Spool of Blue Thread (Anne Tyler). Not into family sagas. I skimmed Nightingale (Kristin Hannah). Not in the mood for a WW2 book, especially one that weaves the war story with a modern one. I'm beginning to hate this method of storytelling.

So, opted for Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters In The End (Atul Gawande). I never read nonfiction but this one interested me. It's basically about how we treat the aging process.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 insomniac said:

I loved Serena (it was quite startling!). It prompted me to read the rest of Rash's books. I like his writing.

Yes, I think I would like to try another of his also. It looks like the movie is not going to follow the book very much. At least from the clilp I saw.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Rus Girl said:

I am just about done with Erik Larson's Dead Wake. It is excellent!! Much better than the one about the German Ambassador or whatever he was.

I got stuck in an airport for 6 hours and had a 4 hour flight and read American Dervish and most of Dead Wake.

ETA: I was closer to the end than I thought in Dead Wake. I finished it at work on my lunch hour. Highly recommend!

Just noticed this. What were your thoughts about "American Dervish", if you don't mind me asking? (I loved it.)

Valued Contributor

On 3/26/2015 smokymtngal said:

I finished The Bone Clocks (David Mitchell). It's a very long book, and sometimes confusing, but the destination was worth the journey. I didn't know what to expect next. I love that about a book. Totally unpredictable with flashes of brilliance, and a very moving ending.

I also finished Station Eleven (Emily St. John Mandel) another fabulous, unpredictable book. What are the odds I could get two such great books in a row. I'm not always a fan of the back and forth in time and characters, but Ms. Mandel did it brilliantly.

I could not decide what to read next. I skimmed A Spool of Blue Thread (Anne Tyler). Not into family sagas. I skimmed Nightingale (Kristin Hannah). Not in the mood for a WW2 book, especially one that weaves the war story with a modern one. I'm beginning to hate this method of storytelling.

So, opted for Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters In The End (Atul Gawande). I never read nonfiction but this one interested me. It's basically about how we treat the aging process.

smokymtngal

I just finished listening to the Bone Clocks and completely agree - well worth it. I listened to the final section driving to work this week and also have a terrible cold. So I'm driving, crying and my nose is running. Not a pretty site, I'm sure. There aren't too many books out there that make me cry. I do get chocked up and emotional but outright crying takes a lot. I think I'll listen to some of his other books.

Honored Contributor

I'm halfway through this:

Cover of Eyes Wide Open

A horrible family tragedy that may not be what it seems . . .

A past encounter with an infamous killer turns deadly today . . .

An ordinary man must risk his own family to find the truth.

Jay Erlich's nephew has been found at the bottom of a cliff at Morrow Bay. It's all just a tragic suicide, until secrets from the past begin to rear up again. Did a notorious killer, jailed for many decades, have his hand in this?

Years ago, Jay Erlich's older brother, Charlie, a wayward child of the sixties, set out for California, where he fell under the sway of a charismatic but deeply disturbed cultlike figure. Tragedy ensued and lives were destroyed, but as the decades passed, Charlie married and raised a family and lived a quiet, secluded life under the radar. Yet the demons that nearly destroyed him never completely disappeared.

When Jay heads out west to help his grieving brother, he is pulled back into Charlie's past—and begins to suspect that his nephew's suicide may not have been that at all. With eyes wide open, Jay puts his own life at risk to uncover the truth, a quest that goes beyond the edge of madness and a family haunted by a secret past . . . and into the depths of evil.

Trusted Contributor

This month I read: One Wish by Robyn Carr. It is the newest in her Thunder Point series and I love a good series. It is light reading.

Saved by Gracie by Jan Dunlap. This is nonfiction about the author's struggle with anxiety and how she was helped when a new dog joined her family. I really like this Minnesota author. I read her murder mystery series about a birdwatcher named Bob White.

Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins. I disliked this book. All the main characters were like sociopaths. I don't like books where there are no smart, happy, and/or emotionally healthy characters.

Cold Betrayal by J A Jance. This is one of my favorite authors and this is her new book in the Ali Reynolds series. I liked it very much.

Last One Home by Debbie Macomber. This is her newest book. It is light reading and a pretty good story.

Special Education by Bobby Hutchinson. This is a romance/stalker thriller set in Vancouver with the main characters being a Royal Canadian Mountie and a special education teacher. It was an inexpensive kindle download and a new author for me. The best character in the book is one of the little boys in the special ed class. His banter made me laugh out loud.

Honored Contributor

Bob White? Seriously? I love it.

Super Contributor

finished the second Jason Brodie mystery by Kate Atkinson. Started slower than her other books but picked up speed at the end.

Started The Sea House by Elizabeth Gilbert. Started last night on a flight home and am almost 200 pages into it today. Very fast moving story perfect for curling up on the couch on a miserable winter day.

Modern day young couple buys an old house in the Outer Hebrides to convert it to a B&B, but what they find buried in the cellar leads to a 100 year old mystery involving Scottish lore of: Mermaids and Selkies (Seal people); a newly ordained Vicar/evolutionary scientist; an evil Laird and his beautiful daughter, and the feisty housemaid of the Vicar whose family was evicted from their ancestral home by the Laird. Back and forth story lines connect the dots.