Honored Contributor

CB radio? Breaker breaker stuff? I'd love to hear those stories!!

We had one and messed with it mid to late 70's.

That was another time and place.

Did you, or do you now?

Honored Contributor

Negatory QG.

Respected Contributor

Re: Were you ever on a CB?

[ Edited ]

In the mid 70s i traveled with my job in the state of Texas.  I was a newbie at the time and was always a passenger in the car.  The guys all had cb radios.  It was a fun way to pass the time on the highway.  One night coming back from Houston the cb traffic alerted us to an enormous forrest fire up ahead.  And just in the nick of time a trucker let us know to pull over because deer were running across the highway!  Would have had some great pictures if we had had cell phones then.  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Negatory QG.

Thank you I love that! Hahahahaha

Respected Contributor

great thread!

my handle  was the Suntan Kid   

kept a look-out for the plain brown wrappers

left from  the Quad-cities - we hauled a load of wheat flour headed south to D town

turnaround was a full load of watermelons

i even drove the rig myself 30 miles through OK on a 2-laner with swamps on each side! it was something like 16 gears. eyes on the road, hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and pray!!!

Honored Contributor

My husband had a CB radio in his pickup during the years he worked in the coal mines.   I liked to turn it on and listen to the activity, but never talked to anyone.  

Our youngest daughter drives a big rig to the west coast each week, and uses the radio a lot.   Around here, CB's and scanners don't seem to be as popular as they once were.   

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Negatory QG.

Wish I would have started the thread - this is the Best Answer - I really belly laughed.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Were you ever on a CB?

[ Edited ]

Raising my hand!Smiley  But it was in the 1990s.  I helped my sister move all the way across the country, and cell phones/car phones weren't particularly reliable at the time...  being able to talk between the car and the truck was really helpful.  Especially when I took the wrong fork in the interstate in rush hour traffic in a huge city...  what an experience that was!   In addition, I frequently drove long distances alone, and the CB radio was one of my security devices.  That, along with my AAA membership, helped me out a couple of times so having both of those was priceless protection.  When cell phones became more reliable, I stopped taking the CB radio with me.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Breaker Breaker..  I believe we'e got ourselves a Convoy!! 

Hubby used to be a CB'er when he traveled.. when I'd go with him, wowzie some of the stuff those lot women would say to entice the drivers to come in.. LOL  and it weren't for a slice of your momma's apple pie..  LOl LOL 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Our most memorable CB radio experience.  Smiley Happy  This was in the late 1970's.

WP:  Breaker, Breaker - any truckers out there?

Trucker 1 here:  What's the problem?

WP:  We're on our way to New Jersey shore with a group of kids, pulling a large camper.  Having problems with car.  Muffler is scraping the road and I can't get into the garage with all the traffic to have it repaired.  Parked along right side of road at (address).

Trucker 1, 2, 3, etc.  -  Hold on, we're here to help.  And they did.  Within 4 or 5 minutes, several truckers blocked traffic on all four lanes and WP was able to turn left into the garage in Paradise, PA! (of all places).

DH and I were in another car (we had CB radio too) and went ahead to NJ shore and set up the tents, etc., with our own group of kids.  WP and the other kids arrived several hours later, and the car's muffler had been repaired on a Saturday afternoon.

Hurrah for those truckers.  Heart  They were a Godsend. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~