Trusted Contributor

Well, it's official! I have to have a hysterectomy..........

..........and I am beyond scared!!!! A couple of months ago I posted a thread asking all of you about your hysterectomy experiences, and I asked for NO HORROR STORIES! I want you ladies to know that your responses have been very comforting to me, but I am still terrified! I have two very large fibroids, and the doctor suspects I have more smaller ones she could not see on the ultrasound. I have been suffering for years, but fear has kept me away from the doctor for many, many years!

I have posted in the past about the terrible anxiety and panic attacks I have when it comes to anything medical! As I said, I have not been to a doctor for any reason (other than my eye doctor) for many years! I know some of you are going to "scold" me for that, as it is very foolish. Believe me, I KNOW how foolish it is, but nobody understands the degree of my anxiety!

Anyhow, I began taking Lexapro a few months ago after fighting the thought of taking an antidepressant for years! I think it has helped me slightly, and I do hope it will help get me through these next couple of weeks when the scary thoughts of surgery overwhelm me!

I have only been in the hospital once for the birth of my son, and that was over 26 yrs. ago! I hate hospitals, doctors' offices, and all things related, but I do believe this surgery is inevitable! I have suffered with the terrible pain and heavy bleeding for a very long time!

My surgery is scheduled for April 5. I must now make a decision whether I want my ovaries removed or not. I am 46, and I don't know how far away menopause might be for me. On one hand I hate to have them removed and go into menopause immediately, on the other hand if I have them removed, ovarian cancer will no longer be a worry. I don't know what to do, but meanwhile I am trying to remain calm about the whole thing. I keep telling myself that if I can make it through eye surgery, I can make it through this!!