Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weird way SS processes benefits after death of recipient

I don't know if it was mentioned but there is a burial benefit sent separately of $255 I was told.

Respected Contributor

this SSA take-back happens because the benefit is paid for the previous month.  my father died on the 14th of the month and was paid in full on the following 3rd of the next month. the death certificate was not issued in time so the full SS payment was made.

then suddenly  the payment was taken back and re-calculated with my mother received adjusted  benefit only in her SSN. then there was an issue with Medicare.  she did not contact Medicare when he passed and lost her health benefit because my father held the Medicare card in his name and SSN and she was the "B" designation in his Medicare #.   so during open enrollment she ignored the mailings and then got stuck with a pile of medical bills. many calls to fix that.

Esteemed Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

this SSA take-back happens because the benefit is paid for the previous month.  my father died on the 14th of the month and was paid in full on the following 3rd of the next month. the death certificate was not issued in time so the full SS payment was made.

then suddenly  the payment was taken back and re-calculated with my mother received adjusted  benefit only in her SSN. then there was an issue with Medicare.  she did not contact Medicare when he passed and lost her health benefit because my father held the Medicare card in his name and SSN and she was the "B" designation in his Medicare #.   so during open enrollment she ignored the mailings and then got stuck with a pile of medical bills. many calls to fix that.

Not quite correct.  My husband died 2/2/16.  He had a SS deposit made on 2/10.  That was the payment for the month of Jan.  He is entitled to that payment because he lived for the entire month of January.  However the SSA took that payment back out of our account and I have to fill out paperwork to get the payment re-deposited.  There will be no payment made in March because that would be the payment for Feb and since he did not live for the entire month of Feb. no money will be paid.  I was completely aware that the payment made on 2/10 would be the final payment made but was surprised when the SSA took it back and is requiring that I fill out paperwork to get it reimbursed even though it was a legitimate payment.

I have a appt with the local SSA office at the end of March.  That was the first available appt.  You can go and do a walk in but you might have to wait a very long time before you are seen.

I started collecting my SS at age 62 when I retired.  My DH started collecting at his full retirement age of 65.  Since I am now 67 and at full retirement age I believe that I will get his full benefit.  Since his benefit is substantially higher than mine I will drop my benefit and collect his.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet, I just want to thank you for posting this thread. Taking the time to inform and offer help to others in your time of grief is a very thoughtful thing.

Good thoughts to you.
Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

Not quite correct.  My husband died 2/2/16.  He had a SS deposit made on 2/10.  That was the payment for the month of Jan.  He is entitled to that payment because he lived for the entire month of January.  However the SSA took that payment back out of our account and I have to fill out paperwork to get the payment re-deposited.  There will be no payment made in March because that would be the payment for Feb and since he did not live for the entire month of Feb. no money will be paid.  I was completely aware that the payment made on 2/10 would be the final payment made but was surprised when the SSA took it back and is requiring that I fill out paperwork to get it reimbursed even though it was a legitimate payment.

I have a appt with the local SSA office at the end of March.  That was the first available appt.  You can go and do a walk in but you might have to wait a very long time before you are seen.

I started collecting my SS at age 62 when I retired.  My DH started collecting at his full retirement age of 65.  Since I am now 67 and at full retirement age I believe that I will get his full benefit.  Since his benefit is substantially higher than mine I will drop my benefit and collect his.

i am very sorry for your loss

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Let me extend my sympathy to you on the loss of your husband.  Perhaps, this obsession with a check that will eventually be reissued to you is your way of taking your mind off your loss.  It really doesn't make much sense to me.  If that is how SSA handles it, that's it.  Fill out the paper work and let it go.  Why give something you can't change so much thought?

Passive -agressive? Have some tact. She just lost her dh.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry for your loss @KathyPet. I know it's hard when others add confusion and frustration to an already difficult situation. I'm a former SSA claims examiner, and the bank was correct to return your husband's money. It actually went back to the Treasury Department, who issues the payments, and SSA must follow Treasury's rules. Yes it was due him, but the problem was that he passed eight days before the benefit was paid. The payment has to be reissued to the proper person (in your case you) to receive the underpayment.

This link is to SSA's policy that covers your situation. It's written for employees, so it's not exactly in layman's terms. https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202408650

Esteemed Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

Sorry for your loss @KathyPet. I know it's hard when others add confusion and frustration to an already difficult situation. I'm a former SSA claims examiner, and the bank was correct to return your husband's money. It actually went back to the Treasury Department, who issues the payments, and SSA must follow Treasury's rules. Yes it was due him, but the problem was that he passed eight days before the benefit was paid. The payment has to be reissued to the proper person (in your case you) to receive the underpayment.

This link is to SSA's policy that covers your situation. It's written for employees, so it's not exactly in layman's terms. https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202408650

Yes the customer service person at SSA made it clear that my bank was not the decision maker in returning the funds but that the bank was following instructions given to them by The government agency.  It seems to me that this is a very inefficient way to handle this process.  A computer program could easily be written to take into account the date of the beneficiary's death and then determine if the payment was owed to the receipient or not.  If the payment was due then let it remain in the account it was deposited into.  If it was not due then instruct the bank to send it back.   Certainly would take a lot less work then having to process all that paperwork to send the funds back again.  However I have never considered the government to be a paragon of efficiency.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband. My sincere condlonces to you. And I am sorry that you now have to deal with SS also.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband. My sincere condlonces to you. And I am sorry that you now have to deal with SS also.

KathyPet, I would like to add my condolences to you, over the loss of your beloved Husband....and I understand your frustration over the SSA. I recently "retired" yet it was 2 months before I received my first 'Retirement Payment" (according to my birthday - but NOT by their official website which would have been a month earlier). WHAT???

The SSA site is a mess, the Office in Winchester VA is a mess and is constantly moving elsewhere...the whole system is a MESS!!! We've paid our dues yet the System is FAILING us. It's shameful !!!!