Honored Contributor

We made the right decision....

It's cool here and gray and the forecast is for showers.  Tomorrow will be a total wash out.  We have my niece's 16 year old twins here for the weekend.  The kids want to see the Harvard campus and we planned to go the beach and do fun stuff but the weather precluded that.  Anyway, our friend's outdoor bbq is now an indoor party and it will be all middle aged people. .  It wouldn't be fun for the kids.  Hubby took them into Cambridge to wander around Harvard Yard and then they are going to Quincy Market .  We'll do a movie and the mall tomorrow.  Maybe the Museum of Science.  I was debating about going to the party but changed my mind right before I got a call from a friend.  Good decision on my part!  She's rip roaring mad but still going to the party.  There will be a scene of some sort.  Would you be upset if either if these two things happened to you?  The hostess called our friend and asked her to please refrain from making negative comments about the food.  She told her if you don't want to eat something just don't eat it.  No one cares why.  She said that because our friend is 60 and has the body of a 30 year old supermodel.  She works very hard at maintaining.  She also eats a very restricted diet.  Very little protein, lots of veggies.  So, she is constantly hungry.  Which she doesn't admit to but she talks about food, in one way or another ALL the time.  She has a bad habit of making comments about what others are eating.  As she sits with her salad and black tea; she will make comments like.  "If I ate that chicken, I'd have to do two hours on my treadmill"  or " I'm eating salad today because my pants are getting tight, I' ve been eating like a pig all week" or "if I ate that  cake, I'd gain 10lbs".   She hasn't gained weight in decades and her size 2 pants are not tight.  She keeps at it, never stops.  I understand it's her way of compensating because she hungry and feels deprived and wants to eat but won't let herself.  But others are losing their patience.  And she was also told NOT to say grace.  That's something else she does that annoys the heck out of people.  She announces that she's saying grace and it would be fine if she just said grace.  She gives a mini sermon!  She goes on and on and on, until someone (usually my husband) steps in and stops her.  She's done it at dinners, showers, weddings.  We have talked about this, I have been honest with her and she always  says she understands and she'll "watch" herself.  So, she's aware of both issues.  Right or wrong she's ripping mad abuout the "request" but she's still going to the party.  I told her that she really shouldn't go in her state but I think she wants to go just to cause trouble.  Glad I won't be there.  She is a friend, we all have our "isssues" but this will cause all sorts of problems for our group this summer.  I just know it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: We made the right decision....

I unloaded the drama queens from my life a long time ago and have never regretted it.
Esteemed Contributor

Okay, I'm confused.

If this friend is known for always making a scene, and all about her, why was she even invited to the party?

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  I would stop inviting her to any events that involve food......if she ever asks why she was not invited down the road.....TELL HER THE TRUTH! Be honest even if it hurts her feelings. She needs a walk up call. Sounds like everyone around her hates to be around her because of her food issues. So stop the denial and tell her she is irritating and no fun to be around. She gas an eating disorder. Tell her to get help. Good riddance if she gets mad. 

Please se forgive the spelling errors.....can not fix them now with the website meltdown for iPad.

Honored Contributor

Why let one person ruin a party for everyone?? Just don't invite her.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Of course this is going to upset your friend because she has issues that need to be dealt with.  If there are enough of you "friends" that feel this way, perhaps you should have an intervention of sorts and lay it out on the table.  Tell her that her food comments have been heard over and over.  Her sermon like prayers have also been heard.  Perhaps you can come up with a signal that can be given to her when she begins to overstep these two issues, like for instance say "Tiny" (or whatever her name is) , and then give her a raised eyebrow.  She obviously has food issues, but enough is enough and you all need to tell her so.  As far as the praying, someone else needs to step in ahead of her and ask for blessing of the food.  One could say, "you always get to say the prayer, I would like a chance at giving thanks." 

Unless something is said or done, it is going to be a long summer.......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

This reminded me of a saying - I used to walk in the room and wonder if anyone would like me. Now I walk in the room and wonder if I will like anyone.
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Okay, I'm confused.

If this friend is known for always making a scene, and all about her, why was she even invited to the party?

Good question, I wish I had an answer.   All I can say is that knowing her the way I do and how "difficult" she is to be around; I see her when it's just the two of us or in a group when it's just the girls.  I kinda 'get" her and I don't find her as aggravating as some others do.  But I don't invite her to dinners or small gatherings.  Like our Christmas party.  One reason why we had it after Christmas was because she was away.  When my daughter got married 3 years ago, we did not invite her to the shower or the wedding because we knew she would have jumped up and held an impromtu sermon.  It was small, so I used that as the reason.  But other friends feel bad about excluding her, we've all known each other many years, they invite her to things.  Knowing how she'll behave and grumble about it later.  This is the first time, that I know of, that anyone has said "don't do that" to her.   

Honored Contributor

She would off my invite list fast.  If she questioned why I woiuld certainly tell her. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Of course this is going to upset your friend because she has issues that need to be dealt with.  If there are enough of you "friends" that feel this way, perhaps you should have an intervention of sorts and lay it out on the table.  Tell her that her food comments have been heard over and over.  Her sermon like prayers have also been heard.  Perhaps you can come up with a signal that can be given to her when she begins to overstep these two issues, like for instance say "Tiny" (or whatever her name is) , and then give her a raised eyebrow.  She obviously has food issues, but enough is enough and you all need to tell her so.  As far as the praying, someone else needs to step in ahead of her and ask for blessing of the food.  One could say, "you always get to say the prayer, I would like a chance at giving thanks." 

Unless something is said or done, it is going to be a long summer.......

An intervention is probably not the way to go.  That only works on tv shows.  I have  spoken to her about the food stuff a couple of times.  I think I am closer to her than a couple of the others and I am not as irritated by it as they are.  I've been honest and as we are talking, I think she understands.  I just think that she's 60, this is the way she has been all her life, she has food issues and she can't stop being who she is.  As I said in another post, I have learned how to "dance around" with her issues.  The others suffer through it and then complain about it.  I do believe that this is the first time that anyone else has ever actually spoken to her about it.  People have done it in a joking way but never in a direct way.  And it only infuriated her and made her confrontational.  It is going to be a long summer for our  little social group.  I'm just going to do my best to stay out of the crossfire.