Trusted Contributor

We had an awesome road trip across the U.S!

I just thought I would update all of you on our cross country trip from Western NY to California.  It was beyong awesome!  

We stopped at the Badlands in SD, stopped at the Corn Palace, and then we headed to Mount Rushmore.  We went to Yellowstone, Grand Teton National Park, Teton Village, and Jachson Hole.   Before hitting Yosemite, we stopped in Bodie, CA and toured the old ghost town, and after our stay in Yosemite, we drove to the coast, Monterey Bay, and Big Sur.  We stopped in Lake Tahoe, and we went to Sequioa National Park.  On the way back east we stopped at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs and then headed to Sand Dunes National Park.  On the way home we stopped to see the Great Salt Basin in Utah.  

I'm just sure I've left something out, but we did all of this from our starting point here at home in just 15 days!  We saw some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen, and we drove on some of the most desolate roads I've ever driven on (Nevada).  Seeing tons of wildlife was awesome, too.  Because I am scared to fly, I was just sure I would never make it to CA in my lifetime, but I did, and it was the best vaction and road trip I've ever taken, and I know it will forever be the best!

If you ever have the opportunity to take a cross country road trip, I cannot recommend it highly enough!  Do it!!!  Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: We had an awesome road trip across the U.S!

Like you, I am not a fan of flying anymore.  I would love to take the trip you just returned from.  There are so many beautiful places right here in our own country.  We hope to do a trip like yours in the next few years!

Respected Contributor

I refuse to fly anymore.  It's such a shame flying has so drastically changed and is no longer enjoyable. 

We were thinking about a road trip also, then think about traffic in the large cities and quickly change our minds. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I refuse to fly anymore.  It's such a shame flying has so drastically changed and is no longer enjoyable. 

We were thinking about a road trip also, then think about traffic in the large cities and quickly change our minds. 

I so agree with you.  I used to really love driving, but now with all the aggressive rude drivers on the road, you're really risking your life.  I feel so much safer on a plane then anytime in a car especially with the texters, and the cell phones.  Taking a trip across country by car would have been great years ago, but not now. 

Respected Contributor

That is a wonderful trip.  I have seen all those places, but at different times.  I loved the Garden of the Gods - beautiful.  You did something I have always wanted to do.  Unfortunately can no longer travel across country by car, but I am glad for you that you got to travel that way.

Honored Contributor

Sue we took 5 weeks and to show you how big this nation of ours is, I can honestly say we stopped mostly in totally different places than you did, we never even saw South Dakota at all. Did you stop at Grand Canyon?

Honored Contributor

That's why I love America!!! It's beautiful.

Respected Contributor

We did "The Tour of USA and Canada" in the summer of 1994, when DH retired from teaching. Drove from central NY to Texas, southern California, British Columbia, and back. Saw lots of things from Elvis's Graceland, the Alamo, Las Vegas, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Chinatown, British Columbia, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, and many others. Would never do it again, but have lots of memories. 

Honored Contributor

We took a cross country camping road trip back in 1996. I waited for my kids to be of an age that they'd be old enough to remember. We had such a wonderful time. My kids still talk about it constantly! I kept a diary and wrote down every single thing that happened to us daily. I'm so glad I did! There 's a lot that I don't remember until I read about it in my journal. We were able to see our beautiful country more than others. Loved camping through our countryside. I highly recommend taking a road trip. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Sue98

That sounds like so much fun!

It's on my bucket list!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.