Respected Contributor

Re: We had a very close call today

@Reba055 wrote:
I know someone in a similar situation who has hit a deer....twice! It's so scary and dangerous and they just dart out.

It's happened to us twice...at night. Thankfully both times hubby was driving instead of me. And yes, the deer absolutely come out of nowhere!  

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@feline groovythanks for the info. I will certainly look into these.

@steviebyes, a slap on the wrist is about it. Plus my neighbor went over and talked to him and told him to never do it again or he will take him to court. The jerk doesn't care- he will try to get away with whatever he can since he doesn't really get in trouble. Smiley Sad

@HappyDaze   

Why am I not surprised...  

Sometimes I wonder where and when it all went so wrong...

I only wish he'd been taken to court this time.  I guess it wouldn't undo what the ^@%# did, but at least it would've been a pain in the same part of the anatomy that he sounds to be to pretty much everybody else !!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb  I knew you'd appreciate this. Today I looked out my window and literally 5 feet from my window was a Doe and her two very young Fawns, spots and all! They were nibbling away on the leaves, enjoying the day. Like you, I just sat and watched them as the Fawns watched mama as she grazed. I have never been that close to fawns before and if you think that the Doe's eyes are so innocent, you should see those beautiful fawns. Wow. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb  I knew you'd appreciate this. Today I looked out my window and literally 5 feet from my window was a Doe and her two very young Fawns, spots and all! They were nibbling away on the leaves, enjoying the day. Like you, I just sat and watched them as the Fawns watched mama as she grazed. I have never been that close to fawns before and if you think that the Doe's eyes are so innocent, you should see those beautiful fawns. Wow. Smiley Happy

I  know, they're amazing.  For a number of years I traveled a fairly rigorous route and then a few years ago, I found a slower but less frenetic route to get to where I had to go, which carried me through lots of wooded areas.  I often saw deer of all shapes and sizes and the little ones are just the most precious things...  I was always awed by them, often following their mother.  Of course, all too often I'd see dear struck down and it never failed to induce a visceral reaction in me, just as does even the mere mention of anyone that hunts them for 'sport'.  I just don't get it and and can't condone it on any level.  

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

It's all the more heartbreaking that a simple and affordable alternative exists but too often isn't actualized.  It ought to be mandatory with all this 'development at all costs' that's run amuck...

I was recently driving through a wooded neighborhood near my home and saw two large deer standing in someone's front yard, merely trying to cross the street.  They were exquisite and they broke my heart.  I stopped and sat for a long time, as we just watched each other.  Their eyes were so gentle and beautiful.  I can only hope they got to where they were going and that no one shot them or mowed them down simply because they got in the way...  

That is a really sweet story, stevieb. Yes, deer are so amazingly beautiful and once you are close enough to see their beautiful, gentle eyes I don't know how you could kill them for the mere fact that you consider them to be a  "nuisance".

This past hunting season, a buck that lives on my property was shot by a neighbor from his truck on the road right in front of my house. The buck had gone across the street in the Christmas tree farm because there were Doe there. It is illegal to "hunt" this way, he didnt have permission to hunt on that property (my neighbor who owns it is VERY protective of the deer on his property as he feels like they are part of his family) and you are only allowed one buck during the hunting season and he already killed one. I honestly broke down and cried. The sad thing is, the deer around here are use to people and the cars around here so he had no idea he should run when my neighbor pulled up in his car. It was awful. He was so majestic and beautiful.

And I hope he was reported and prosecuted!!! 

I once saw two men in a pickup truck ahead of me slowing and pulling to the side of the road, as I was driving home.  Then one of them got out and walked to the edge of the field, gun in hand.  I looked across and saw a deer standing there.

The hunting day ends 1/2 hour after sunset here and it is also illegal to shoot any deer after that, from the side of the road or within 300 feet of a house.  All of these conditions existed.  I pulled up behind them and made it obvious that I was watching and not going anywhere until they moved on.  I had my cell phone ready to phone the police.  After several minutes, they did give up and go but, believe me, I would have made that call in a heartbeat.  I couldn't physically stop them from shooting the deer, but I would've made sure they didn't profit from it and were prosecuted.  (I also took their license plate number in case I saw them coming back at any time.  This was less than a mile from my own home.)

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

It's all the more heartbreaking that a simple and affordable alternative exists but too often isn't actualized.  It ought to be mandatory with all this 'development at all costs' that's run amuck...

I was recently driving through a wooded neighborhood near my home and saw two large deer standing in someone's front yard, merely trying to cross the street.  They were exquisite and they broke my heart.  I stopped and sat for a long time, as we just watched each other.  Their eyes were so gentle and beautiful.  I can only hope they got to where they were going and that no one shot them or mowed them down simply because they got in the way...  

That is a really sweet story, stevieb. Yes, deer are so amazingly beautiful and once you are close enough to see their beautiful, gentle eyes I don't know how you could kill them for the mere fact that you consider them to be a  "nuisance".

This past hunting season, a buck that lives on my property was shot by a neighbor from his truck on the road right in front of my house. The buck had gone across the street in the Christmas tree farm because there were Doe there. It is illegal to "hunt" this way, he didnt have permission to hunt on that property (my neighbor who owns it is VERY protective of the deer on his property as he feels like they are part of his family) and you are only allowed one buck during the hunting season and he already killed one. I honestly broke down and cried. The sad thing is, the deer around here are use to people and the cars around here so he had no idea he should run when my neighbor pulled up in his car. It was awful. He was so majestic and beautiful.

I'd like to have ten minutes with that jackass and this makes me so angry I wouldn't even need a gun...  And yes, I know, that virtually puts me in his category, the only difference, I suppose, is at least I'd give him a head start...  He knew better, the dear didn't...  I can only hope he was prosecuted, but even if he was, I'd guess a slap on the wrist was about it...  

Stevieb - can I help????  Smiley Mad

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'd like to have ten minutes with that jackass and this makes me so angry I wouldn't even need a gun...  And yes, I know, that virtually puts me in his category, the only difference, I suppose, is at least I'd give him a head start...  He knew better, the dear didn't...  I can only hope he was prosecuted, but even if he was, I'd guess a slap on the wrist was about it...  

It makes you wonder how people were raised. To put such little value on another living things right to live. 

That is not hunting that is just sick and as I said before I wish the same misfortune.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Sure.  We can form a posse...

Hey, if they can do it so can we...

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

And I hope he was reported and prosecuted!!! 

I once saw two men in a pickup truck ahead of me slowing and pulling to the side of the road, as I was driving home.  Then one of them got out and walked to the edge of the field, gun in hand.  I looked across and saw a deer standing there.

The hunting day ends 1/2 hour after sunset here and it is also illegal to shoot any deer after that, from the side of the road or within 300 feet of a house.  All of these conditions existed.  I pulled up behind them and made it obvious that I was watching and not going anywhere until they moved on.  I had my cell phone ready to phone the police.  After several minutes, they did give up and go but, believe me, I would have made that call in a heartbeat.  I couldn't physically stop them from shooting the deer, but I would've made sure they didn't profit from it and were prosecuted.  (I also took their license plate number in case I saw them coming back at any time.  This was less than a mile from my own home.)

Smiley Sad So sad and it happens quite often. Thank you for doing the right thing.

Respected Contributor

We have seen more deer on our property in the last 2 years than we did in the last 25! Total overpopulation! They are lovely to look at BUT we also now have a huge tick population and DH has had 2 sightings of a mountain lion on our hilltop WAY too close for comfort! I am afraid to walk my small dogs up there now not to mention having to check the little guys (and myself!) for ticks daily. I blame total overdevelopment in our area....we already don't have enough water for the people who live here but the idiots keep building more and more huge housing developments. Where is THAT water going to come from? The animals are stuck with our elected officials poor decisions and so are we.