Honored Contributor

Re: We got to see the Budweiser clydesdales this evening

I saw these amazing horses at Sea World.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up 20 minutes outside of St. Louis, but it was not until many years later, when I moved East, that I got a chance to see the Clysdsales.  DH & I toured the Anheuser plant and grounds on a trip back home.  It was then I saw them up close in their stalls.  I was stunned at their size!  There was a dalmation in with the horses, which the keepers explained was not unusual.

A few years back I got to see them where I now live, in Maryland, and they were even more beautiful (if that is possible).

Such beautiful, iconic creatures with so much personality and presence. 

Honored Contributor

The trainer walks along side them and pretty much keeps people from getting too close , then he stopped them under the light and they were letting people take pictures. I put my hand out to one and the horse was straining toward my hand - would have loved to pet him. I guess the trainer saw I wasn't afraid of him so he brought me closer and said ask him a question that has a yes or no answer. I asked if he liked our town and the horse Nodded his head up & down and then I asked if they ever give him a beer and he shook his head NO. Then the trainer said wave to the crowd and the 2 lead horses each lifted one massive leg up. The dalmation was also very well trained and just stood up on top of the wagon,quiet.He posed on one side of the wagon in a point position and then the driver told him to go to the other side and pose and he did so everyone could take his picture.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

When I was living and working in the Dallas area, I saw a team of the Clydesdales behind the scenes at the Texas State Fair.  I'm a tall gal but standing next to them I felt very short and insignificant.  What magnificent creatures they are.

Several years ago there was a team in the Cleveland area for an event.  They were staying at the stables across the street from where I worked.  The stable owner opened it up for the public.  We got to see them in their stables, exercising in the fields and just hanging out.  The trainers were walking around, no doubt keeping an eye on things, talking to the people explaining how they breed, train etc.  It was a wonderful time. I really did not know much about horses but you are right they are huge. 

Since you mentioned Cleveland: I don't know if they still offer this program but  volunteered at Lake Farmpark for a umber of years and they have a team of Clydesdales pulling the wagon. As part of the mounted horse unit, I got to be around the team all the time. They had a program where you could learn to drive the team with their normal driver teaching you. I got to try that out. They are just wonderful animals.

here is a link to a fact sheet that Farmpark puts on their website;

Clydesdales

As for the Gypsy Vanners, they have always been one of my favorite horses, originating from the British Isles, here is a pic of a solid colored cob. The heavy feathering makes them unique,

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

I saw these amazing horses at Sea World.

@missy1

Giggle.  

"WOW, horses can swim...and jump through hoops?"

Which I could photoshop a couple Clydesdales doing synconized water jumps like those dolphins do.   Hee

Respected Contributor

They are truly beautiful  horses.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I got to pet them years ago at the Worlds Fair.  They are such big, beautful, gentle animals.Heart

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

The last time that the Clydesdales came to my town, which was at least a decade ago, I just happened to be behind the horse trailer, as they were coming in to town.

I followed the trailer, as they pulled in to our fairgrounds and watched as they unloaded the horses in to the stalls.

I just stood there and admired their beauty, and slowly inched forward, closer to them.

I must have been invisable, because no one noticed me getting so close to them.

I eventually was close enough to pet one on their nose, and their heads are huge.

I was surprised that no one stopped me, from getting so close to them.

Now, I would NOT recommend anyone else doing what I did, and I would not do it again.

Because if the horse had decided to swing its head, and knock me to the ground, and I got injured, then technically they would be liable, for having let me get so close, even though, it would have been my own fault for putting myself in that situation.

But, they are beautiful animals..

Honored Contributor

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

When I was living and working in the Dallas area, I saw a team of the Clydesdales behind the scenes at the Texas State Fair.  I'm a tall gal but standing next to them I felt very short and insignificant.  What magnificent creatures they are.

Several years ago there was a team in the Cleveland area for an event.  They were staying at the stables across the street from where I worked.  The stable owner opened it up for the public.  We got to see them in their stables, exercising in the fields and just hanging out.  The trainers were walking around, no doubt keeping an eye on things, talking to the people explaining how they breed, train etc.  It was a wonderful time. I really did not know much about horses but you are right they are huge. 

@CrazyDaisy, It's really incredible seeing them up close, isn't it?  They're impressive from afar but sheer magic the closer we get.Heart

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova