Esteemed Contributor

Re: We (Finally) Took the Plunge

@Moonchilde wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Moonchilde

WELCOME to my world.. Woman LOL

I'm a NYC/NJ transplant and it does take some getting used to.  The septic 'thing' was a big shock for moi..no power, no nothin'! 

Our electric company rewired our county after Sandy and we haven't had any power outages since I can remember. 

OMG @MyGirlsMom I forgot about that! I learned that here in the forums. I haven't had to "use the facilities" when the power was out yet and would not have known that. We have had days or nights where the power was out 4-6 hrs. Quick trip to McD's? At least they'd have good wifi, lol.

@Moonchilde

"Septic Shock!" Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

We have a landline and have no intentions of getting rid of it.  I'm not saying the OP insinuated this, but I find it so strange that people think there is something "wrong" with having a landline.  Not everyone wants to talk on a cell phone all the time -- or ever, for that matter.  I realize it's not the "in" thing, but I won't give up my landline just because other people think it's the "thing to do."

Something else people don't want to hear, but if and when there are/have been problems with the towers and cell signals being available (I remember it was really bad on 9/11 in my area, and there was something with Verizon being down in a big part of Ohio sometime this year) people might be sorry they all dumped the land lines.

I've always felt that we as a nation, would be sorry that we tore up so many of the railroad tracks across the country in the last couple of decades, and a few years ago, when gasoline was at about $4 a gallon, I think a bunch of money (and fuel) would have been saved for  many things to be transported by rail. And should we ever have a time of internal crisis (invasion etc.) those rail lines might have proved very beneficial to move supplies, people etc. as well.

Sometimes I think we are way too quick to totally abandon the 'old ways'.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Sounds good.  Do you have a desktop or laptop PC?  If so, how do you get internet?

I could be wrong, but I don't think she said she cut her internet - just her landline.

MGM - Good for you!  I would like to do that, also, but the alarm system depends on it.    I even told the husband that I'd be willing to cut the alarm system, too, but he wouldn't go for it.

I do have an extremely high need for feeling safe, due to never feeling safe as a child, but I keep EVERYTHING pretty pretty pretty locked up!  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt:  It is not true that if you don't have a landline you cannot have a security system.  We had our removed last year and ADT had to change out our system to accommodate the internet we presently have.  I am so glad that we made this move.  Call your security system and ask.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I hate talking to people on cell phones.  The quality stinks.  I get tired of saying and hearing "can you hear me" and "repeat that".  I will always have a landline.  Because we used to often have power outages several years ago I bought a phone with a cord for my office so I could use the phone with power out.  It is unbelievable how much better the quality of the sound is.  I have a couple of friends who only have cells and I never call them just to talk or catch up.  

@DiAnne

Thank you for that input. When I am on my landline or cell, and talk to someone who is on a cell, I have a heck of a time hearing/understanding them most times. 

I thought it was me, and my hearing becoming more limited. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.

I think many people aren't talking of the phone as much as they did at one time, and communicate differently. I still have my elderly mom living next to me (across the field) and I talk to her many times throughout the day. I would hate to be trying to do that on a cell phone. I can put my landline on speaker, clip it to my shoulder and talk and work around the house. 

Some days I talk to her for extended periods of time and the same with my best friend. Can't imagine craining my neck to to it with my cell phone, or constantly draining the battery.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Moonchilde

WELCOME to my world.. Woman LOL

I'm a NYC/NJ transplant and it does take some getting used to.  The septic 'thing' was a big shock for moi..no power, no nothin'! 

Our electric company rewired our county after Sandy and we haven't had any power outages since I can remember. 

OMG @MyGirlsMom I forgot about that! I learned that here in the forums. I haven't had to "use the facilities" when the power was out yet and would not have known that. We have had days or nights where the power was out 4-6 hrs. Quick trip to McD's? At least they'd have good wifi, lol.

@Moonchilde

"Septic Shock!" Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Bada-bing, bada-bang! 👹

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I haven't had a landline since 2005 when we sold our home, got divorced and last two kids left for college. When I got my first apartment and worked full time, I realized then a landline wasn't needed. Since then my cell has been my only phone and I do all of my business using it. Except for visiting my sister way out in the boondocks with barely any reception, I haven't had any problems. In the past couple of years cell phone carriers have eliminated yearly plans and I get unlimited everything so it's cost effective too.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Anyone who has a defibrillator implant has to have a landline. Last I heard they were working on the cellular technology for it and were close but not there yet.  For me, and like someone said earlier,  I have a much harder time understanding what people say on cell phones.  Many times it's just not nearly as clear as my landline.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom

Good for you.  I wish I could pull the plug on our landline but the phones and number have such sentimental value.

Our home was my parent's shore house.  The phone number is the number that was assigned to our family when the town got dial phones.

We stll have a black wall dial phone. (you can answer calls but cannot call out on it)

In the bedroom my sister and I shared, there is still our pink princess phone. (we fought over that phone a lot)

I'm just too sentimental.

Esteemed Contributor

awww @lulu2, I "hear ya"  We would have had our current number for twenty years. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good luck.

I will keep our house phone as long as they exist. Anyway our cable company charges LESS if you have the phone/cabletv/internet, then they do if you dump the phone.

I have a prepaid cell, and my husband hates cells. I bought him one for emergencies in bad weather, and he donated it to charity a year later. lol.

As far as telemarketers. We hardly get any of those calls but have an answering machine and caller ID, and dont answer any calls except from people we know

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles