Honored Contributor

Re: We (Finally) Took the Plunge

[ Edited ]

@12andcounting wrote:

We have a landline and have no intentions of getting rid of it.  I'm not saying the OP insinuated this, but I find it so strange that people think there is something "wrong" with having a landline.  Not everyone wants to talk on a cell phone all the time -- or ever, for that matter.  I realize it's not the "in" thing, but I won't give up my landline just because other people think it's the "thing to do."

@12andcounting

You totally misunderstood the OP's point of getting rid of her landline. She and others who have done so did it because it was not necessary for them. Please don't rehash the cell phone argument yet again.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

goldenlocks, that was very interesting. thanx for replying 😊

Valued Contributor

I don't ever plan to give up my landline phones. We have 4 phones conveniently located in our home--kitchen, office, Mbr, and laundry room in the basement. I never have to run to wherever my cell phone is because I am only steps away from any of the other 4. We only pay 35.00 a month and that is worth it to me for the convenience. I don't want to carry a cell around so I don't miss a call( esp.the basement laundry room) JMO

Esteemed Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

We have a landline and have no intentions of getting rid of it.  I'm not saying the OP insinuated this, but I find it so strange that people think there is something "wrong" with having a landline.  Not everyone wants to talk on a cell phone all the time -- or ever, for that matter.  I realize it's not the "in" thing, but I won't give up my landline just because other people think it's the "thing to do."

Hi @12andcounting

I was reluctant to give up my landline but I realized it's unnecessary for us to have one.  We each have our own phones and we don't need a landline.  I'm not one to talk for hours on the telephone anyway. It's our choice ...period, we're NOT telling other people what to do. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom....Good for you! I so want to get rid of our landline, but DH wants to keep it. It's a total waste of money for us. We hardly ever use it and are bombarded with scam callers. I keep threatening to tear it out of the wall and throw it off the balcony of our apt. Smiley Happy

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Trusted Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@12andcounting

You totally misunderstood the OP's point of getting rid of her landline. She and others who have done so did it because it was not necessary for them. Please don't rehash the cell phone argument yet again.

I did not misunderstand.  If you'll read my post, you'll see that I even said that the "OP did not insinuate" what I said.  And please don't you tell me what to rehash or not rehash.  I'll post as I please.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@12andcounting

I did not misunderstand.  If you'll read my post, you'll see that I even said that the "OP did not insinuate" what I said.  And please don't you tell me what to rehash or not rehash.  I'll post as I please.

Cat LOLMan LOLRobot LOLSmiley LOLWoman LOL

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

Hi @12andcounting

I was reluctant to give up my landline but I realized it's unnecessary for us to have one.  We each have our own phones and we don't need a landline.  I'm not one to talk for hours on the telephone anyway. It's our choice ...period, we're NOT telling other people what to do. 

Thanks for your response.  I absolutely did not think you were telling others what they should do about a landline.  I just hear this pretty constantly from others about how ridiculous some think it is to continue with a landline.  Sorry if I made you think I was thinking or stating that you were telling anyone what to do. 

Regular Contributor

The comments posted here have certainly set me thinking. I vividly remember Hurricane Sandy hitting my area and we were without power for 11 days. But, our landline worked and that was a comfort. I no longer chat on the phone since email and Facebook have changed our lives so much. Cell phones are a blessing, but only for short calls. Our ways of life are changing so rapidly. Has anyone given up their landline and regretted it?

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple....Waving Hi! Smiley Happy

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.