Honored Contributor

Re: Walking around in the flood water

@151949 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The flood water is rain, no sewage, no salt water, just rain water.

Okay we'll pretend the sewage treatment plants don't play into this senario........they do, but we'll pretend they don't.........you do realize anything and all things are mixed into that water now.......any dead animals, rather they died as a result of the flooding or for other reasons..........animal feces from wild critters out there doing what the bears do in the woods, along with their domestic counterparts........ and now it's ALL in that water............garbage that people throw out..........dump sites.........you have to take a good look around you, even at places that hide from view the unpleasent things and realize any and all of that is now part of that water.........and also now a part of where you live.............................raven

@raven-blackbird

If people would read this entire thread, I've said multiple times, that it sounded like the OP was saying that there was sewage in the flood waters in Charleston.

She says that's not what she meant (specifically this event in Charleston), but was speaking of flood waters in general, so now I get what she meant and said so.

AND another post on this thread not read by some responders, I have had lots of experience with flooding, since I've been through several hurricanes and live on an island. I've had to boil our water after flooding from hurricanes.

And, I volunteered in NO after Katrina, so I'm well aware what can be in the water after catastrophic flooding....some of those sights I'll never be able to get out of my head.

But more importantly, I also said, I agree that flood water is nasty & unsanitary, regardless of whether or not there's sewage in the water!

But please read the whole thread before ya'll keep responding like I'm saying that flood water isn't nasty, even if there's no sewage in it.

I was only saying that there was no sewage in the flooding in Charleston at that time, which is what I thought the OP was inferring.

I should've never responded to this thread at all, considering the OP, but I forgot the new nic. This is exactly what every thread is intended to do.

But that will never happen again, I assure you.

Now, please leave me alone about this issue.

I'm OUTTA here.

Because YOU made unjustified assumptions and then said something incredibly stupid - do not turn it around that it is all  my fault. You need to own your own  statements all by yourself. Obviously, your intention was to put me down and it backfired on you and so now you try to lay the blame on me again. Well people aren't that gullible and saw through you then and will now.

I believe you jumped down her throat before she jumped back.  She responded about her area only.  At the time, it was just rain water for her area.  It has since gotten worse.  Not meaning to add fuel to this fire, but that's the way I saw it.  I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Living in FL I have had experiences of driving through flash flood waters that came out of nowhere.  I have gotten through (when I couldn't turn back) but have seen the next car after me stranded and dead (pulled over and gave that driver a ride).

Floods are absolutely treacherous.  I would never walk around in one, and have only driven in a few when they came up suddenly and hadn't been predicted.  Never by choice.  They can be killers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Preds wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Okay we'll pretend the sewage treatment plants don't play into this senario........they do, but we'll pretend they don't.........you do realize anything and all things are mixed into that water now.......any dead animals, rather they died as a result of the flooding or for other reasons..........animal feces from wild critters out there doing what the bears do in the woods, along with their domestic counterparts........ and now it's ALL in that water............garbage that people throw out..........dump sites.........you have to take a good look around you, even at places that hide from view the unpleasent things and realize any and all of that is now part of that water.........and also now a part of where you live.............................raven

@raven-blackbird

If people would read this entire thread, I've said multiple times, that it sounded like the OP was saying that there was sewage in the flood waters in Charleston.

She says that's not what she meant (specifically this event in Charleston), but was speaking of flood waters in general, so now I get what she meant and said so.

AND another post on this thread not read by some responders, I have had lots of experience with flooding, since I've been through several hurricanes and live on an island. I've had to boil our water after flooding from hurricanes.

And, I volunteered in NO after Katrina, so I'm well aware what can be in the water after catastrophic flooding....some of those sights I'll never be able to get out of my head.

But more importantly, I also said, I agree that flood water is nasty & unsanitary, regardless of whether or not there's sewage in the water!

But please read the whole thread before ya'll keep responding like I'm saying that flood water isn't nasty, even if there's no sewage in it.

I was only saying that there was no sewage in the flooding in Charleston at that time, which is what I thought the OP was inferring.

I should've never responded to this thread at all, considering the OP, but I forgot the new nic. This is exactly what every thread is intended to do.

But that will never happen again, I assure you.

Now, please leave me alone about this issue.

I'm OUTTA here.

Because YOU made unjustified assumptions and then said something incredibly stupid - do not turn it around that it is all  my fault. You need to own your own  statements all by yourself. Obviously, your intention was to put me down and it backfired on you and so now you try to lay the blame on me again. Well people aren't that gullible and saw through you then and will now.

I believe you jumped down her throat before she jumped back.  She responded about her area only.  At the time, it was just rain water for her area.  It has since gotten worse.  Not meaning to add fuel to this fire, but that's the way I saw it.  I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm just responding to this post right here, to what I bolded.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

I was replying to your statement, no one else, and I don't have a dog in this fight........it's not just about Charleston, but anytime you have flooding......the water just isn't rain water even if sewage treatment plants are not affected...even at sewage treatment plants there are evaporation ponds......put the water back into the environment by evaporation but the sludge on the bottom is dangerous.......it's now raw sewage, heavy metals can be found in it and now it's mixed with flood waters....it's anything and everything that was on the ground is now in the water, from landfills, dump sites, your neighbors back yard.......some of those things are not too pleasant and some are darn right harmful

I didn't mean for you to get upset by my reply and I don't see any reason why you should have been, to be honest...........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@raven-blackbird

Well, I suppose we could all re-locate to wherever it is you live, or stay where we are and deal.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@raven-blackbird

Well, I suppose we could all re-locate to wherever it is you live, or stay where we are and deal.

@Drythe

nah, stay where you're at......but you can send us that extra water you have laying around...........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@raven-blackbird

@Drythe

nah, stay where you're at......but you can send us that extra water you have laying around...........................................raven

it is a shame that in one area we have overflow of excessive water and in another horrible drought. I really find it hard to believe they can't pipe water from the east to the west.

Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom

I was replying to your statement, no one else, and I don't have a dog in this fight........it's not just about Charleston, but anytime you have flooding......the water just isn't rain water even if sewage treatment plants are not affected...even at sewage treatment plants there are evaporation ponds......put the water back into the environment by evaporation but the sludge on the bottom is dangerous.......it's now raw sewage, heavy metals can be found in it and now it's mixed with flood waters....it's anything and everything that was on the ground is now in the water, from landfills, dump sites, your neighbors back yard.......some of those things are not too pleasant and some are darn right harmful

I didn't mean for you to get upset by my reply and I don't see any reason why you should have been, to be honest...........................................raven

She seems to feel she was correct and EVERYONE else , but me especially, were all wrong. Oh well.

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Preds wrote:

Boy, that's the truth!

The OP was clearly referring to any location along the coast line.

The debating poster assumed it was South Carolina.

Putting on my Detective Cap.....if the video showed people 'walking' in the water & dogs being walked outside (as referenced by the OP), the footage couldn't have been filmed in the South Carolina area where water is up to house/roof line.   Just sayin'.

You know what they say about assuming.....!

I'll be honest...I just turned on The Weather Channel.  Had no idea it was that bad.  Poor Carolinas...they always seem to get it.  Just saw the truck driver getting rescued.  What made him think that was a good idea?!  Heard where they will charge him for the rescue services. 

At the end of the day, we all agree flood waters are dangerous...no matter how deep & no matter where the location, yes?

#SundayPositivePostChallenge