Honored Contributor

Re: Walking around in the flood water

[ Edited ]

The weather channel has been in almost every city along the east coast from NJ to  Georgia. Whatever. 

Leave it to this board to find someone to argue with even the most simple common sense.

Trusted Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Some areas the streets flood regularly just from a high tide or if the winds keep the bay water from going out when the tide goes out. 

It's water that goes down the street gutters, not the sewage from residential toilets, bathtubs and sinks.  That's a different kind of waste water that gets treated.

But it is nasty.  I'd never walk in it. 

If I have flip flops on and get caught in a rain shower, I always rinse my feet off outside (even have a bottle of dish liquid for this at the ready).

It's another reason we never wear shoes inside, because it's dirty outside, even on sunny days.

That's a whole nuther thread though. 

People walk their dogs and their paws are in all kinds of stuff outdoors.  Then, the dog comes in the house and people take their shoes off.  They are walking barefoot on the same floor as their dog, whose paws have been into heaven only knows what????  I have a neighbor who washes her little dog's paws every single time she takes her out - probably a dozen times a day.  I wonder how many other people do that.  The poor dog runs and hides whenever she sees the leash coming.  What should be a pleasant experience for the dog, turns into a nightmare for her.

Esteemed Contributor

In my area, the flooding water is just rain coming down people's driveways or out of people's gutters.  We used to love to put on raincoats and rain boots and play with toy boats and buckets in the cul-de-sac.  If you were to ask my son about his favorite childhood memories, he'd mention that.  While we did not experience the destruction of Hurricane Katrina, we did have lots of rain and went a couple of days without electricity.  I've always tried to make the best of a difficult situation.  

In this recent storm, my kitty just wanted to go out and sit in the garage.  I'll not begrudge her some fresh air, and I'm keeping an eye on her.  I imagine the pet owner mentioned in the OP was thinking his pet might enjoy the outing.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The flood water is rain, no sewage, no salt water, just rain water.

Okay we'll pretend the sewage treatment plants don't play into this senario........they do, but we'll pretend they don't.........you do realize anything and all things are mixed into that water now.......any dead animals, rather they died as a result of the flooding or for other reasons..........animal feces from wild critters out there doing what the bears do in the woods, along with their domestic counterparts........ and now it's ALL in that water............garbage that people throw out..........dump sites.........you have to take a good look around you, even at places that hide from view the unpleasent things and realize any and all of that is now part of that water.........and also now a part of where you live.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Okay we'll pretend the sewage treatment plants don't play into this senario........they do, but we'll pretend they don't.........you do realize anything and all things are mixed into that water now.......any dead animals, rather they died as a result of the flooding or for other reasons..........animal feces from wild critters out there doing what the bears do in the woods, along with their domestic counterparts........ and now it's ALL in that water............garbage that people throw out..........dump sites.........you have to take a good look around you, even at places that hide from view the unpleasent things and realize any and all of that is now part of that water.........and also now a part of where you live.............................raven

@raven-blackbird

If people would read this entire thread, I've said multiple times, that it sounded like the OP was saying that there was sewage in the flood waters in Charleston.

She says that's not what she meant (specifically this event in Charleston), but was speaking of flood waters in general, so now I get what she meant and said so.

AND another post on this thread not read by some responders, I have had lots of experience with flooding, since I've been through several hurricanes and live on an island. I've had to boil our water after flooding from hurricanes.

And, I volunteered in NO after Katrina, so I'm well aware what can be in the water after catastrophic flooding....some of those sights I'll never be able to get out of my head.

But more importantly, I also said, I agree that flood water is nasty & unsanitary, regardless of whether or not there's sewage in the water!

But please read the whole thread before ya'll keep responding like I'm saying that flood water isn't nasty, even if there's no sewage in it.

I was only saying that there was no sewage in the flooding in Charleston at that time, which is what I thought the OP was inferring.

I should've never responded to this thread at all, considering the OP, but I forgot the new nic. This is exactly what every thread is intended to do.

But that will never happen again, I assure you.

Now, please leave me alone about this issue.

I'm OUTTA here.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@@VaBelle - homes usually have no basements in SC - my area already had 8" with more coming down - many areas are flooded with Charleston being really bad - the peninsula is closed due to flooding. Rivers are already high and will continue to rise. 

Stay safe @riley1

My Dad's place at Little River is raised and OK, but the rest took a hit.  Haven't gone, but security sent us a few photos.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Praying for all in SC and NJ. Hoping everyone stays in and stays safe.  Flood waters are so dangerous and do destoy lives.  Please be careful and call for help if needed. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@raven-blackbird

If people would read this entire thread, I've said multiple times, that it sounded like the OP was saying that there was sewage in the flood waters in Charleston.

She says that's not what she meant (specifically this event in Charleston), but was speaking of flood waters in general, so now I get what she meant and said so.

AND another post on this thread not read by some responders, I have had lots of experience with flooding, since I've been through several hurricanes and live on an island. I've had to boil our water after flooding from hurricanes.

And, I volunteered in NO after Katrina, so I'm well aware what can be in the water after catastrophic flooding....some of those sights I'll never be able to get out of my head.

But more importantly, I also said, I agree that flood water is nasty & unsanitary, regardless of whether or not there's sewage in the water!

But please read the whole thread before ya'll keep responding like I'm saying that flood water isn't nasty, even if there's no sewage in it.

I was only saying that there was no sewage in the flooding in Charleston at that time, which is what I thought the OP was inferring.

I should've never responded to this thread at all, considering the OP, but I forgot the new nic. This is exactly what every thread is intended to do.

But that will never happen again, I assure you.

Now, please leave me alone about this issue.

I'm OUTTA here.

Because YOU made unjustified assumptions and then said something incredibly stupid - do not turn it around that it is all  my fault. You need to own your own  statements all by yourself. Obviously, your intention was to put me down and it backfired on you and so now you try to lay the blame on me again. Well people aren't that gullible and saw through you then and will now.

Esteemed Contributor

I was watching CNN first thing this morning and an emergency worker was being interviewed. People in the flood zones had been told to stay indoors but he admitted that some just ignored that advice. Then we saw film of idiots trying to drive through unknown depths of water and people fooling around outside. I really feel for those people who are sent out to rescue numbskulls who take nothing seriously.