Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walking around in the flood water

@@VaBelle - homes usually have no basements in SC - my area already had 8" with more coming down - many areas are flooded with Charleston being really bad - the peninsula is closed due to flooding. Rivers are already high and will continue to rise. 

Honored Contributor

Some people aren't too bright, sad to say. (upside down smile)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Flooding is never just water.  It's everything that water runs through, around and over.  Yard waste, animal waste, your neighbors composting piles, stormwater drains overflow into the streets.  Pumping stations and treatment plants take in more than they can hold and will bypass back into the river which is already flooded.  The sludge and slim left behind is worse than any mud.  It doesn't just "wash off" with bleach either.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

If I encountered flood water near my rural home, it would mainly be from surface run off.  However, any flood water is considered contaminated and dirty, and precautions should be taken with skin contact.   

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The flood water is rain, no sewage, no salt water, just rain water.

The sewage systems get overloaded with the water and it all gets mixed up together and flows out - water and sewage. Have you ever been in a flooded area? It is NOT clean water at all. I grew up in a city with 3 rivers, lived in the city, have seen a lot of flooded areas in my life. Once had my car parked on the wharf and the river flooded over it - the water was almost pure mud mixed with sewage. this is whiy when you clean up after a flood everything has to be bleached and you have to wear gloves to do the clean up, even though it may just be a garage or cellar.

The sewage system and water treatment plant in Charleston has not been compromised.

I'm only speaking of this particular case, in Charleston, there's no sewage in the water, at this point.

Does it happen? Of course it does.

I've lived through several hurricanes and I live on an island, so yes, I know a little bit about flooding.

I live about an hour south of Charleston, in Savannah, GA, which is a coastal low-lying area just like Charleston and we both have large rivers running through.

Again, I was only responding to your OP which specifically mentioned this area, at this time, not  flood waters in general.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

HUH ? When did I mention any city specifically?

Honored Contributor

The city with 3 rivers is Pittsburgh, PA.

Also have to worry about wildlife in the flood waters too like fish and snakes.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

HUH ? When did I mention any city specifically?

UH.....you said you were watching the Weather Channel this morning when you posted the OP and spoke of seeing people walking around in flood waters.

I've had the Weather Channel on since 5AM and the only flooding you would've seen, is the flooding in Charleston.

But, whatever....I don't care enough to debate the issue with you, HH.

Adios!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't get it either. Walking or driving through water is gross and not safe.

I saw pics from New Jersey of people going down the street in little boats. That isn't bad.

Hoping people do not have much in the way of flood damage!

It rained here for days in PA. Today its gloomy and looks like more rain.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

IG, don't have any idea were you are at but you sure have not seen flood water if this is what you think. There is nothing worse then having to deal with what comes with flood water, and it is not just rain water.