Honored Contributor

Walking around in the flood water

Watching the weather channel I am amazed to see people out walking around in the flood waters. Gross!!! One person walking the dog in water up to it's belly. Don't these people realize that flood water contains sewage?? The incredible stupidity of people .....!!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Walking around in the flood water

What is worse--they actually drive cars through a foot of water--this is stupidity.   I heard the Carolinas could get 10"-14" of rain.   For those with basements, I can only hope they have plenty of buckets.    

~~Be safe...everyone in that region!~~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The flood water is rain, no sewage, no salt water, just rain water.

The sewage systems get overloaded with the water and it all gets mixed up together and flows out - water and sewage. Have you ever been in a flooded area? It is NOT clean water at all. I grew up in a city with 3 rivers, lived in the city, have seen a lot of flooded areas in my life. Once had my car parked on the wharf and the river flooded over it - the water was almost pure mud mixed with sewage. this is whiy when you clean up after a flood everything has to be bleached and you have to wear gloves to do the clean up, even though it may just be a garage or cellar.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Watching the weather channel I am amazed to see people out walking around in the flood waters. Gross!!! One person walking the dog in water up to it's belly. Don't these people realize that flood water contains sewage?? The incredible stupidity of people .....!!!!!!

Not to mention there could be a power line down and they could get electrocuted.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Rain water when you shoes get covered with it....... it mixes with debris, and a whole lot of icky things. I have always told my kid to take a shower after playing in it.

Trusted Contributor

It is so disgusting.  Sewage, not to mention the filth of the sidewalk, whatever that may be.  Roadkill, dog poop, cigarette butts, and whatever else the rain swept up and moved around.  Very unclean water.

Honored Contributor

Some areas the streets flood regularly just from a high tide or if the winds keep the bay water from going out when the tide goes out. 

It's water that goes down the street gutters, not the sewage from residential toilets, bathtubs and sinks.  That's a different kind of waste water that gets treated.

But it is nasty.  I'd never walk in it. 

If I have flip flops on and get caught in a rain shower, I always rinse my feet off outside (even have a bottle of dish liquid for this at the ready).

It's another reason we never wear shoes inside, because it's dirty outside, even on sunny days.

That's a whole nuther thread though. 

Respected Contributor

they're showing videos of areas that have sewer systems and water treatment plants.

many areas like mine are rural, we have wells,  septic systems and cesspools, no pipes, no culverts

either way, i would stay out of any floodwater. too easy to get fried if not sick with ecoli or some bad bug

Honored Contributor

It's always amazed me people walk and drive through flood water.  There's a reason officials tell you not to.