Respected Contributor

Re: Waffle House Worker Killed After Asking Customer To Stop Smoking

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I'm not going to pin "mentally ill" button on the shooter unless he has been clinically analyzed - other wise, he's just another mean person with a gun.

exactly. I always wonder why we give excuses to all of the gun shootings in this country and brush it off as mental illnesses. I am more scared of people running around with their guns than I am of a terrorist And when you think about, some of these people, like that man in Colorado right now, are terrorists. Home grown. Egged on.

I don't view it as an excuse....he may have a "mental issue"  anger issues, rage...yadah yadah...he knew right from wrong as he responded to a request....thus, for legal purposes, he is sane.  "Mentally ill" or people with psychiatric conditions, rarely kill....and neither do most "normal" people.  Anger and violence in our culture are accepted and until we treat that, it doesn't matter what you label the person. 

the thing is that we ALL get can angry, we ALL can lose our temper, we ALL can snap. 

The difference is that most of us do not have a handy dandy loaded weapon that we can pull out and shoot the person we are temporarily upset at.

We use (well, not me, and it doesn't sound like you do either - but some people) mental illness to brush off these horrific and senseless crimes instead of taking care of the ease of obtaining said weapons.

And yes, people can kill in other ways, like a car or pick up a knife.  But those items have a primary function that isn't designed to kill people.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I'm not going to pin "mentally ill" button on the shooter unless he has been clinically analyzed - other wise, he's just another mean person with a gun.

exactly. I always wonder why we give excuses to all of the gun shootings in this country and brush it off as mental illnesses. I am more scared of people running around with their guns than I am of a terrorist And when you think about, some of these people, like that man in Colorado right now, are terrorists. Home grown. Egged on.

I don't view it as an excuse....he may have a "mental issue"  anger issues, rage...yadah yadah...he knew right from wrong as he responded to a request....thus, for legal purposes, he is sane.  "Mentally ill" or people with psychiatric conditions, rarely kill....and neither do most "normal" people.  Anger and violence in our culture are accepted and until we treat that, it doesn't matter what you label the person. 

I don't think anyone uses that old legal definition of sanity/insanity any more.  It's worthless.  Mental health screenings by experts in the field are pretty standard now for someone who has committed murder.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I guess I was wrong thinking that one would be capable of going to link not to read the viewpoint of the author,  but to actually go to the study. I didn't think it was that difficult. 

Off to dinner have a nice night ladies. Hopefully this thread will be back when I get home. 

I read the study.

Your post is condescending wadr and like the author

of the article you posted you assumed people

would take and believe their interpretation you assume

nobody here can or do read the study.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Waffle House Worker Killed After Asking Customer To Stop Smoking,

@biancardi wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

the thing is that we ALL get can angry, we ALL can lose our temper, we ALL can snap. 

The difference is that most of us do not have a handy dandy loaded weapon that we can pull out and shoot the person we are temporarily upset at.

We use (well, not me, and it doesn't sound like you do either - but some people) mental illness to brush off these horrific and senseless crimes instead of taking care of the ease of obtaining said weapons.

And yes, people can kill in other ways, like a car or pick up a knife.  But those items have a primary function that isn't designed to kill people.

i wasn't getting into the gun control issue, I just find it an incorrect assumption to label the person either way...but "normal" people don't usually kill but there is an underlying psychological "altered state" that may occur which most likely may be suggestive of a psychological illness and even so, not excusable because he knew what he was doing.  We know nothing about this guy; my thoughts are that if people knew he had anger control issues and that he carried a weapon, too bad for the lady that no one intervened....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve lost loved ones to gun violence.  Other posters probably have felt this horrid loss, also.  

It’s wearisome to see the same hackneyed bumper-sticker comments about automobiles or other objects, “people kill people,” etc., and to see absolutely nothing being done to fix this sickening epidemic of death by firearm.  "The current laws are good enough and we just need to enforce them?"  Not true, but if the laws were good enough…  how is our law enforcement supposed to do the job when we pay celebrities, sports figures, politicians and the lobbyists in their pockets (including those who stand to gain financially from the sale of guns, ammunition, and associated products), etc., like kings and queens, but we pay law enforcement officers and other investigative and support staff like paupers and don't fund their facilities or programs?  

How is the government supposed to help enforce these things when the same people who tell us we need better enforcement are constantly saying we need less government?  

Then there’s the problem of good mental health care.  Look at history, see how we handled that miserably (and look at which politicians along with their pals in the insurance industry mismanaged that).  So, now the largest mental health network in our country is the prison system…  and, of course, we’re also supporting people who advocate making prisons “for-profit” organizations.  Think about how it all works, hand-in-hand. 

Those who love to taunt, “follow the money,” need to do so regarding the proliferation of firearms and the lack of decent mental health care in this country.

And guess what...  it's not "either or."  It's not just a mental health issue, not just a law enforcement issue, it's not simple.  To act as if it is probably speaks partly to our frustration but also it's used as a way to dismiss the issue and allow the problem to fester and grow.

Rather than succumbing to the panic and paranoia fueled and flamed by those who stand to gain financially from all these firearms (and associated products) sales, I hope and pray our citizens will look at the facts instead of the flames.  Sure, it's a great rallying cry for people trying to get votes but it's not based in fact and it's not going to stop this carnage.   Rattling off self-serving statistics to protect your own guns is simply not the point here.  We’re hard-pressed to find anyone who advocates "disarming citizens," there are very, very few who want there to be “no guns.”  That’s just another myth, another incendiary bit of spaghetti tossed up against the wall to see if it sticks.  People hear all the misinformation and they start to think it’s true.

We have a dreadful, sickening, mess on our hands and we simply can’t afford to allow it to continue.  No, we can’t go back, but we can make level-headed change.  How many of our loved ones have to be massacred before we do something?  Are we now so invested in defending the criminals that we’re bound and determined to blame the victims? 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

From watching the news, it seems those underpaid law enforcers carrying guns we supply are killing unarmed citizens. Before the majority who aren't shooting are excused, consider what the other officers on the scene did, nothing. They could have stopped their fellow officer, they didn't even try.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

From watching the news, it seems those underpaid law enforcers carrying guns we supply are killing unarmed citizens. Before the majority who aren't shooting are excused, consider what the other officers on the scene did, nothing. They could have stopped their fellow officer, they didn't even try.

Just worked on the cover-up:/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Basically, I guess, now-a-days, it's best and safer to just not say anything at all to anyone, no matter what.  Very sad for the waitress and her family, friends.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

Aren't they all just wonderful people, sons, husbands, neighbors, citizens!  Just can't imagine him doing anything like that.  Yeah right! 

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I don't think anyone uses that old legal definition of sanity/insanity any more.  It's worthless.  Mental health screenings by experts in the field are pretty standard now for someone who has committed murder.

Actually, they are used; that is the definition of sanity, knowing right from wrong.   Have you ever met a sociopath?  I administer standardized tests and certain types know how to pass them, often.  I spend considerable amounts of time within the legal system and counseling.