Honored Contributor

Re: WW2 BRILLIANT CODE BREAKER

I love the story of the American Indians who were known as 'code talkers.' They used their everyday tribal language to further drive the enemy crazy trying to decipher the language. A little o/t but it fits.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde is right, there were numerous codes used.

For some in the UK it was the Welsh language used by troops from Wales.  It wasn't widespread, but it was effective as the Germans weren't familiar with it.

The Germans often changed the code they were using.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I love the story of the American Indians who were known as 'code talkers.' They used their everyday tribal language to further drive the enemy crazy trying to decipher the language. A little o/t but it fits.

Not off topic at all, @Judaline Smiley Happy

Native American Code Talkers were very important during WW2.  I think I read there's only one still alive today.

Honored Contributor

code talkers

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  Great picture. I think it was positively brilliant, whoever thought of this. Also read that the Cherokee did it in WWl.  So clever. Thanks, guys.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Really, I thought it was Alan Turing and his team that broke Enigma THE CODE to break at that time. 

The Bletchly females only intercepted the codes I thought. 

There wasn't only the Enigma code - there were many codes used during the war. Women definitely worked on them and broke or helped break them.

Alan Turing didn't work alone, and we don't know that his "team" was all-male.

Never wrote Alan Turing's team was all male - it's been hinted at there was a female.  Of course the women of the Royal Navy worked on the various codes - the thread was written in a generalization. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to those women who worked tirelessly.