Honored Contributor

Re: WOULD YOUR FAMILY DO THIS TO YOU?

Would my family do this to me? I hope not!

When my brother died at 27 I wrote his obituary. He wanted me to. The paper was understanding and published it exactly as I wrote it. Ten years later when my mom died there was someone else in charge of that section. Again I wrote her obituary and gave it to the funeral home to give to the paper. I had already talked to the writer about it, and he seemed fine with it. 

When it was published, I was waiting to get copies to send to other relatives. A friend called me and said I wasn't going to be happy. I was heartbroken when I read it. He didn't use anything I had written. My mom had an interesting life, and you would have never known because none of it was mentioned. He mentioned her sister and brothers, but left her grandchildren - my children - out! He mixed up the hospital where she worked. It was awful, and there was nothing I could do. I have it, but I didn't send it to anyone else. I did show my aunt (my mom's twin), and she was disappointed too. 

I feel bad for this lady's family and friends. I think the writer could have found something good to print about her life. She was a person with a heart and feelings. I'm sure there was someone who is sad she is gone. 

Esteemed Contributor

As someone who is extremely close to my family I find that so sad and well pathetic. I get upset when families don't get a long. I'm not in that situation but If they didn't like her why even put that in the paper at all?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well if she wouldn't be missed, then I don't see the point of paying for an obituary.

@Isobel Archer  I agree, why did they even bother with the obit?  If you can't say something nice, just keep your mouth shut.  You don't have to have an obituary. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

II wouldn't care at all because I won't be alive to even know my obit said negative things about me.  Wouldn't hurt me at all. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah.....probably.     I don't meet their McMansion "standards".............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

When someone dies those that know the deceased know the true deal so I have just as much a problem with an obit villifying someone as I do with those I've read of the most flowery loving tribute given to the most miserable ppl I've met in life.  Few years ago I read an obit of a nasty horrible neighbor and it was like you could almost hear ppl laughing and wondering who this person was they were describing.  It'd be so much easier if all obits were "just the facts" and move on.  

ALso, I wonder how such obits make it into the paper.  When dad died, the only way I could get an obit in our local paper was to submit it through the funeral home.  OUr town newspapers didn't want to take the responsibility of having to fact check all deaths and they wouldn't run an obit without doing so for fear of running an obit that someone submitted as a prank.  If I were the funeral home I'd just not forward or submit such an obit as the one in this thread.  

Esteemed Contributor

Disrespectful......They could have just had the body cremated with nothing in the paper.

I am sure that the people who knew the person knew what they were like and probably would rather not attend any kind of memorial...

Respected Contributor

Maybe the grandmother was everything they said but they are mean and ugly to publish this.  I understand that you would not want to say nice things about her that were not true so just don't say anything. Just don't do an obituary at all. 

Honored Contributor

This was in the NY Daily News - a fake news rag.

That being said, whether or not this particular obit was plagiarized (or real), it's not the first one. Someone posted on the forums a few months back the same type of obit for a male. So there will apparently continue to be copycat trash-the-deceased reviews reported from now on - it seems to have "caught on" as a Thing now - the reporting it in the media, that is.

Are they real? Who knows. But I myself wouldn't accept any of them as gospel. They do make a good story for the rags, though, and they certainly outrage and disgust people - which is exactly what printing this "news" is meant to do.

Has one of these ever been actually printed? Maybe. Probably somewhere, at one point in time. Are all the reports popping up real? I highly doubt it. As a friend used to say, they couldn't print it in the Enquirer if it wasn't true 😜

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

While there are evil people out there and I feel for those who have to deal with them, I feel it's best to let it die with that person. 

If the newspapers allow this, it could really get out of hand and some innocent people could be hurt. There are evil people out there who might want to make the innocent look bad when they die.  I don't think  newspapers should print nasty obituraries (even if they are true).  While writing this may be theraputic for some people, this is not the time or place to do it, imo.