Honored Contributor

WEN ~ Chaz Dean a Sponsor"Putting for Pups"Say No to Cat & Dog Meat

[ Edited ]

Until Chaz became a sponsor of this event I had no idea how large the problem is.  After some research I learned something shocking! 

While I righteously signed petitions against the use of cat & dog meat in China and Thailand 44 states in the US still allow this practice.

If the idea of killing cats and dogs right here in the US for meat is repugnant to you please consider signing this petition which will be sent to the FDA.

Praying we can put an end to this awfulness!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/711/635/915/stop-killing-dogs-cats-for-their-meat-in-the-usa/

put for pups.jpg

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Re: WEN ~ Chaz Dean a Sponsor"Putting for Pups"Say No to Cat & Dog Meat

I was happy to sign this @Drythe.  Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

Drythe, thanks so much for posting this!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Wow!  I had no idea this was happening in this country.  And only a small handful of states have any laws against it.  Disgusting!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

I signed this yesterday.  Thank you again to @Drythe for finding this info and sharing with everyone.

It's shocking that 44 states STILL haven't outlawed the practice.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CAshopper2011,

First, I had no idea that it was legal anywhere in the U.S. I live in California, but assumed this wasn't really condoned anywhere....but thinking further, it isn't like you can go to a restaurant in these 44 states and buy a cat meatball, or a dog burrito, right? It isn't being SOLD in stores is it? How is it being consumed? I'm just baffled - are people catching stray dogs and cats and just eating them at their own homes? Like hunting a deer? Or are people stealing facility pets? Or are they taking dogs or cats that are about to be euthanized and using the meat to eat?

i guess I'm so blown away by this I can't even grasp how it is happening....maybe I should go to this event and learn more!!

Honestly I was blown away too!  I had NO idea this was happening in the US.  You can Google it and find out way more than you want to know.  Please let me warn you the information is graphic and AWFUL.  Thanks for signing.  I wish I could go to the event myself.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Just to clarify, it is illegal to sell or distribute dog or cat meat in the US. However, many states still have not made it illegal to eat a dog or cat. In other words, it cannot be sold to restaurants and is against the FDA, but if you want to eat your pet in 44 states, it is not illegal (which is beyond sickening).

Esteemed Contributor

I signed it too, thank you for posting.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

Just to clarify, it is illegal to sell or distribute dog or cat meat in the US. However, many states still have not made it illegal to eat a dog or cat. In other words, it cannot be sold to restaurants and is against the FDA, but if you want to eat your pet in 44 states, it is not illegal (which is beyond sickening).

The Animal Rescue Site
The butchering of dogs for meat is not a problem solely found overseas. In the United States, 44 states allow dogs to be raised and sold for meat, with only Virginia, California, Hawaii, New York, Georgia, and Michigan having laws that prevent such practices, classifying the consumption of dog meat as animal cruelty. Recently, the Pennsylvania legislature failed to pass a law that would ban the raising and slaughtering of cats and dogs for meat.

Due to unclear and porous state laws, it is legal to sell and consume dog and cat meat, and also legal to raise them for that purpose. According to the Humane Society, puppy mills are raising dogs that are sold to butchers around the country as a delicacy. These dogs are raised under horrific conditions. The barbaric and cruel practice of eating household pets is denounced around the world, yet it still happens in our backyard.

This practice cannot continue! The federal government needs to step in and ban the practice of eating dog and cat meat and the slaughter of these innocent animals for consumption. Urge the FDA to put a stop to this practice by recognizing the raising and consumption of household pets as animal cruelty!

Tell the FDA stop the slaughter of these innocent animals!

Respectfully colliegirl,

It is illegal only in Virginia, California, Hawaii, New York, Georgia, and Michigan.  This information is available across the net, but this clip is the least graphic and disturbing I could find. 

Perhaps you are fortunate and live in one of the 6 enlightened states.

The FDA has not stepped up and banned it nationwide.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

The Animal Rescue Site
The butchering of dogs for meat is not a problem solely found overseas. In the United States, 44 states allow dogs to be raised and sold for meat, with only Virginia, California, Hawaii, New York, Georgia, and Michigan having laws that prevent such practices, classifying the consumption of dog meat as animal cruelty. Recently, the Pennsylvania legislature failed to pass a law that would ban the raising and slaughtering of cats and dogs for meat.

Due to unclear and porous state laws, it is legal to sell and consume dog and cat meat, and also legal to raise them for that purpose. According to the Humane Society, puppy mills are raising dogs that are sold to butchers around the country as a delicacy. These dogs are raised under horrific conditions. The barbaric and cruel practice of eating household pets is denounced around the world, yet it still happens in our backyard.

This practice cannot continue! The federal government needs to step in and ban the practice of eating dog and cat meat and the slaughter of these innocent animals for consumption. Urge the FDA to put a stop to this practice by recognizing the raising and consumption of household pets as animal cruelty!

Tell the FDA stop the slaughter of these innocent animals!

Respectfully colliegirl,

It is illegal only in Virginia, California, Hawaii, New York, Georgia, and Michigan.  This information is available across the net, but this clip is the least graphic and disturbing I could find. 

Perhaps you are fortunate and live in one of the 6 enlightened states.

The FDA has not stepped up and banned it nationwide.

That is not what I have read on the subject.