Honored Contributor

Re: WE ADOPTED A FUR KID-NEED NAME IDEAS!

I have no idea if it's true but I read that animals respond better if they have 2 syllable names and/or names that have something like an ly in them.  Like I have a Billy and Katie.  Althought now that I think of it I've also had a Cleo but we called her Patty.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

When my cat smokey girl passed away from bladder cancer about 7 years ago it hurt bad because she was such a sweet, docile animal.  But then one day a look-a-like appeared in front of our house and it didn't take too much coaxing before she was our new kitty replacement.  The coloring is nearly identical except smokey girl had a white nose.  I immediately named the new addition smokey as well and it stuck but no way is she anything like the other cat.  

Honored Contributor

@catlover

Congratulations! I'm excited for you!

my girl kitty was Holly

our huge boy dog was Robbie ( young boy had to give him up) ( registered as Kimosabe no just no)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Both of my last two pets from the shelter came with names that I changed. Our dog came with Little Al. No way. He was black and white and looked as if he had a mask on his face, so he became Bandit. Our black kitty came with the name Ven (no idea what that's about) and she eventually became Missy. She was quite hissy when we got her, so Missy rhymed with hissy and that was that. It took a few days to decide on the name, based on personality and looks. Take your time and you will find the right name, even if it is the name kitty came with. 

Honored Contributor

great ideas-forgot to mention it's a male cat.............

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Domestic Shorthair Cat for adoption in Brooklyn, New York - NINJAthis is my new fur kid!!!! picture from the shelter..........she weighs 14.6 pounds! I mean HE................so used to having all girls!!!!!!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

I'd keep his five year old name...........Or maybe something that sounds very similar: Pinja, Bingia, Kingia, Mingia, etc.  Anyway, lots of good health and safety to your precious new kitty.  I'm guessing that he knows that he has finally found a loving home.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@catlover

Figaro

Norris (you know, from Chuck Norris if he is really into martial arts)

Harry

Boden

Malcolm

Charlie

Quinn (since he is 5, like the prefix quin)

Carmichael

Otis

Merrill

Felix

Pavo (turkey, in Spanish, since he arrived around Thanksgiving)

Perdue

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catlover wrote:

Domestic Shorthair Cat for adoption in Brooklyn, New York - NINJAthis is my new fur kid!!!! picture from the shelter..........she weighs 14.6 pounds!

Hi @catlover

The name "Leslie" hit me as soon as I saw the picture.  (It could be Leslie for a girl, or Lesley for a boy - British, you know!)

As for the cat responding to a name, it may be that the cat may not like the name Ninja.  My dog didn't like the name she came with from the shelter.  The shelter people said she didn't respond well to it -- and she'd been in the shelter for quite some time.  I tried to go with names that sounded like the one she had, but none of them were a hit.  So something completely different came to mind and she liked it.

Maybe try one at a time until you find one that your cat actually likes.

p.s.  From my house to yours:  plenty of ear rubs!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Since he could be related, how about 'Cuz?  Cat Wink

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~