Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D - New Information

On 4/6/2015 esmeraldagooch said: Good Ford. It was meant as a complement.

Then thanks again!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Yeah, I'll stick with what my primary care doctor recommends.

Super Contributor

On 4/5/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 4/5/2015 Kalli said:
On 4/5/2015 sidsmom said:
On 4/5/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 4/5/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 4/5/2015 sidsmom said:

Oil, as well as animal products, dairy & other dietary fats, are plaque builders. They create sticky blood. That can build up & if one is not eating a basic diet that promotes a healthy endothelium, that plaque can create a weak spot in the vein...and boom....stroke/heart attack. And it might not be the massive stroke you see on TV...just small, little, "I'm not feeling good" strokes build up over time.

Most everyone has plaque buildup to some degree. It's up to us to create a healthy endothelium, which is the 'life jacket' of our veins (quoting Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.).

Decrease the oil/animal/dairy & increase the strength of the endothelium wall...you can almost be bulletproof!

From Harvard School of Public Health.....(a good source of information)

High-carbohydrate, low-fat diets have a negative effect on the fats and cholesterol in our blood: They raise “bad” blood fats (triglycerides) and they lower the “good” blood cholesterol (HDL), both of which can increase the risk of heart disease. These diets also tend to increase blood pressure.

For many people, low-fat diets are not satisfying. People finish a meal and within a few hours, they are hungry again, seeking more low-fat fixes for their hunger. This vicious cycle leads to weight gain and, in turn, to the conditions associated with excess weight (such as blood triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes).

I just read a study they did on children. The kids in the study that ate foods higher in fat (along with veggies and a well balanced diet) not only weighed less but ate less as well because fat gives you a more satiated feeling. The kids that ate less fat ate more and weighed more. The blood work was also better for the kids who ate fat. The kids that ate less fat were also more likely to eat sugary foods. I read this study about a month or so ago, I will look for a link for it.

We have had many studies on adults that said the same but this was one of the first on children.

My endocrinologist has always said to me that if low fat dieting really worked, then why are 66% of Americans overweight or obese? We got into a conversation about how so many children now have Type 2 diabetes and the reason is a high carbohydrate, sugar laden diet.

Same could be said for all the meat-eating, good ole boys with 9-month pregnant bellies. People-of-McDonald's would be fashion models. Believe me...the majority of the obese in this country are consuming animal products. The 90's low-fat crazE was REFINED carbohydrate. If one can't tell the difference between couplex & simple carbs, God help us.

As for sugar, salt, meat, dairy....it's a 'N diet. Sugar 'N Fat. Salt 'N Fat. Meat 'N Fat. Dairy 'N Fat. The fat is the problem...as well as salt & sugar. The public has taken a beautiful, healthy, nutrient rich, God-made vegetable...the potato....and bastardized it with fat....then blame the potato when you can't zip your pants. Where did it get so mixed up? It's not rocket science.

Any researcher worth their salt knows correlation is not causation. Just because the majority of obese in this country eat meat, that in no way means that is the reason for their obesity. The number one reason for obesity here is sugar. In the last 20 yrs the amount of sugar Americans have eaten yearly has gone from 26 lbs per person to 135 lbs per person. You only have to look at the amount of meat we ate 50 yrs ago compared to today, we eat 22% less meat than we did in the 1960s to see that despite eating less meat, we as a country are gaining more weight. That blows your whole theory! God help us if you cannot tell the difference between people eating a balanced meal including meat and eating at McDonalds. Fat is only the problem as with everything else, if people are over consuming it.

Meat when eaten with a balanced diet of unprocessed food is absolutely not the reason people are getting fat.

Like I said earlier, the French eat 4 times the fat we do and always have and don't have the troubles that we do with weight or heart disease. They also eat cuts of meat that are much more fatty than Americans. Their rate of obesity is still much much less than the American rate and has only started to raise when the push for processed food has started.

Our problem in the US is the amount of calories we consume. We consume much more per sitting than we did even 50 yrs ago. Nearly double.

It is fairly clear that despite eating less meat we are gaining weight as a country. We have gone from 26 lbs per year of sugar to 135lbs of sugar in 20 yrs. It is clear this and processed food along with larger portions and less physical activity are the reason for the obesity epidemic in the US, not meat consumption.

Not only does sugar cause weight gain, it's also inflammatory. I find if I overindulge, like on holidays(!) my knees hurt going up the stairs the next day. If I only allow myself one dessert type snack a day, like after supper, I have no knee pain. Anyway, inflammation is what we want to avoid as it's associated with many negative conditions with regard to health.

Can't remember where, but I remember reading that fat in our meal is what triggers the brain to tell us we're full. Without adequate amounts of fat (the good kinds of fat) at each meal, our brains may not tell us we're full and we may overeat. So low fat isn't great.

Yes I always tell people who come into our office and are really concerned about aging and looking older and want to know what they can use or do to help with that they need to cut the sugar out of their diet. It is a major inflammatory and it is one of the worst culprits for aging prematurely. It can cause joint pain and make it harder for your body to heal. You are right, fat does quell the appetite. People who eat a good balance of fat, eat less and weigh less because it makes you feel full longer.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} ITA I've noticed whenever someone cuts sugar out of their diet their skin begins to glow.

Honored Contributor

The first thing the tech. who takes my DEXA scan every few years asks is, hope you are taking your calcium, magnesium and vit D3. I am and I'm 64 and not ask risk for fracture, something is working.

Super Contributor

What isn't discussed here is that you need to supplement with K2 along with D3 to prevent calcification of the arteries (and other soft tissues). So this is a very important thing to consider regarding the "results" of these studies. High D3 without adequate K2 IS a problem.

This is VERY important! A doctor told me this when he prescribed D3 for me. So, I include K2, which is best supplied by a supplement, although you can obtain it by eating organ meats and egg yolks, both of which I don't eat.

As far as fats are concerned, all of the research I have read says that fats are critical (which is why they are called Essential Fatty Acids) for proper nerve and hormone function, but they should be obtained by eating those higher in 3s, such as those in fatty fish and walnuts, rather than the 6s, which are abundant in the average American diet in the form of most salad oils and grains, making the 3/6 ratio out of whack, contributing to heart disease.

If you eat beef, you should eat grass-fed, as corn and grain fed is high in Omega 6. We need more 3, and less 6.

And yes, Sugar is a Dietary Nightmare. Avoid it! Arnold S was correct when he said that "sugar is white death".

KittyLouSoutenu, Dr. of Ballet and Food and Other Stuff such as kettlebell tricks!

Honored Contributor

KittyLouS.: Yes, we learned, many years ago, that calcification build-up in the arteries is the culprit. For many years thereafter, it wasn't mentioned.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 4/10/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

KittyLouS.: Yes, we learned, many years ago, that calcification build-up in the arteries is the culprit. For many years thereafter, it wasn't mentioned.

And why is that?

All you hear these days is to take calcium with magnesium. You hardly ever read about needing the K2 and to take it with some FAT.

Honored Contributor

KittyLouS.::Yes, I haven't been able to figure out why/why not. We also learned that fat is needed for many 'whatevers' to be absorbed. Otherwise, it's wasting time and money and sometimes health.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. Sometimes (not always) I think that old-fashioned textbook studies were/are A-OK !!

Super Contributor

Very interesting information . I'm chronically low on vit D also & given high dose supplements with little effect . Also found the paragraph on inflammation causing D level to drop, interesting , as I have chronic inflammation . IM going to copy this & bring to my doctor . Thanks for sharing !