Honored Contributor

Re: Veterinarians office admin shows no courtesy

Pick your battles. In the big picture this is a very small thing. Focus on the good service you get from the vet and let this little thing drop. 

Honored Contributor

What purpose would it serve - it would serve the purpose of not being disrespected and treated rudely.

OP paid and got her copy.  It was  only OP's perception of worker and her unreasonable thought that she be thanked and wished a good day... AND ...oh yeah maybe the worker needs to get rid of her natural expression so as to not have that nasty stare!!!  I would want my pet given the best treatment and don't care if a receptionist didn't say have a nice day.  The worker was probably thinking OP was going to ask a question or somethng so she was waiting and looking at her!!  

A busy vet office has more important issues than a receptionist who doesn't say have a nice day!!  In all probability the vet would give lip service so as not to offend OP but will probably think "JEESH"!!!  a complaint about that!!!

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I agree that talking to the vet in person is the way to go. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who deal with the public in a nasty, unfriendly manner. I had to pick up a few groceries the other day. The young woman at the cash register could not have been more of a sour puss. The expression on her face was a permanent scowl. I tried to be as friendly as possible but she could not be moved. People like that go through life clueless, unaware of why they never move higher in an organization, never get that promotion, never get that good job. 

Maybe, but honestly, if she were ringing my groceries accurately and quickly, I'd much prefer her to the one who has  neverending conversations with each and every person in line.

All I really want is for people to do their jobs.  I'm not looking for new friends every time I have a business interaction.

Honored Contributor

Well clearly OP was prepping to 'discuss' this with the vet, I hope they are aware that most likely the person will still be there on the next visit and will not have a huge change in demeanor.

Honored Contributor

Re:

As I was getting out the money to pay I said, "Yes, I would."

She takes the paper out of the printer, slaps it down in front of me and that was it. No "thank you", no "have a nice day", no "good-bye", no courtesy whatsoever. Literally - just a stare.

Rethinking this, maybe the receptionist was waiting for the OP to thank her for printing out the copy for her.

Actually, I would have said thank you automatically when she handed the list to me and for her extra trouble printing something out for me.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates

I sympathize with you on this matter. I've been going to the same dr office for10 years -- he is awesome & so "was" the front desk staff.

I say "was" because 1/2 the staff has retired or moved to another office within the group.....UGH....I have never seen this one who you check-in with yet to be social/friendly -- whether you go in or UNlucky she takes a call to schedule my appt.

That being said I just had a issue with her attitude -- so I just treat it accordingly. She's there to check me in & take my $ - nothing more nothing less.  I think she's just like that naturally & I don't feel the need to address it with my dr. As I did this once many years ago (in NJ) & was never treated friendly by any of the staff after this -- I guess they thought I was a PITA!!!

😱😳😀

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Refusing to be served by her would serve what purpose?  She did nothing wrong except to not say "have a good day and thank you" and  the supposed horrible stare!!  Now some other staff who has direct animal duties will have to abandon them to wait on op.  If this happened the vet would probably hope she goes elsewhere in the future.  It probably would be the same if she complains directly to the vet as he probably is satisfied with her work.  OP would disrupt the whole office just  because she feels the worker should  have acted differently even though she provided the services she was supposed to!!!  

What purpose would it serve - it would serve the purpose of not being disrespected and treated rudely.

But she was not disrespected nor treated rudely. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Yes, we all come across those who deal with the public who aren't especially cheery and bubbly, from the vet to our own doctors to the grocery store to the mall. As long as they aren't actively rude - saying something directly to me that is clearly rude or snarky, refusing to give me my items or throwing them at me with an active snarl - I rarely pay any attention.

I don't *expect* uber-cheery or faux bubbly and in fact I actively dislike it. My internal reaction is usually "oh b**f" or "yeahyeah gag me eww." I'm content with a "thank you" and/or a head nod or small smile, but if I don't get that I either don't think about it at all, or think "what a grump" in passing, but it sure doesn't ruin my day or incite me to complain about them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Refusing to be served by her would serve what purpose?  She did nothing wrong except to not say "have a good day and thank you" and  the supposed horrible stare!!  Now some other staff who has direct animal duties will have to abandon them to wait on op.  If this happened the vet would probably hope she goes elsewhere in the future.  It probably would be the same if she complains directly to the vet as he probably is satisfied with her work.  OP would disrupt the whole office just  because she feels the worker should  have acted differently even though she provided the services she was supposed to!!!  

But she was not disrespected nor treated rudely. 

You weren't there.

You don't know how she was treated.

I am going by what the OP said.

As far as the lady (?) waiting to be thanked @Noel7, I believe the OP did say upthread that she thanked her.

If this were a one-time occurance then I would ignore it or pass it off as a bad mood, bad day, etc., but the OP said this is routine for this particular person. Or that's what I gathered....@sandraskates this has happened before?

Maybe that will help clarify.......

Trusted Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I do thank you for all of the points of view!

I figured the replies would be all over the map. :-) To address some of the comments:

YES, I am nice to whomever is helping at that office and do and did say “thank you”. It makes no difference to this woman, I just get a stare.
I am not being overly sensitive.
I don’t expect any “touchy-feely, huggy-huggy, warm-fuzzy” chat. 
I don’t expect being offered a beverage.

But I do expect common courtesy of which she has NONE and never has. Neither in-person nor on the phone.

I’d be fired from my public facing job if I acted like that to the customers; treating them with courtesy and appreciation is part of my job.

The owner vet is not going to be in today and we another appointment which was why I was going to leave a letter. Not sure yet what I’m going to do. I may keep my thoughts in the letter but give the owner a phone call.

If you've ever worked in an office or customer service setting, you'd know that as I mentioned in my earliest post, the frustration you express to the the vet will become office knowledge, and you will be labeled as a bad, difficult person.  You are trying to take someone's job away.  God forbid you are put in a scenario where you have to storm into that clinic with your cat in grave condition, and you encounter the woman who you tried to get fired.  If she is as cold as you perceive, she may jump up, say "I'll go get the Dr.," run into the back, and slowly make a cup of coffee for herself with a big smile on her face before she lets the Dr. know you are there.  The only way you should be presenting that letter to the vet is if it is preceded by asking for your cat's medical records, because you plan on switching vets. Your intention to school a receptionist may have future, dire consequences on both the customer service you receive, as well as the treatment your cat receives. You need to decide what's more important, teaching a receptionist to smile and say thank you, or the health and safety of your pet.