Trusted Contributor

Veterinarians office admin shows no courtesy

Took one of my cat's to the veterinarian today. I've been going to this small practice for 15+ years. The vets are knowledgeable and caring and 2 of the 3 office staff are great.

This cat not been well for a few days, I'm very worried about him and I knew that he was going to get a lot of tests done. The vet was great and I had a nice chat with one of the longtime staff members who was assisting her. Had that been the end of my staff interactions I'd have had a very positive experience.

I went to the desk to pay the bill and this is where it all deflated. There is a woman at the front desk who has been there for about 4 years. I've never had one good experience with her as she shows absolutely no courtesy .

She pulled the bill up on her computer, said "Oh, you had a lot of tests done today. Do you want a printout?".

As I was getting out the money to pay I said, "Yes, I would."

She takes the paper out of the printer, slaps it down in front of me and that was it. No "thank you", no "have a nice day", no "good-bye", no courtesy whatsoever. Literally - just a stare.

I think the veterinarian owner should know about this and I've begun to draft up a short letter which I plan on leaving when I go back tomorrow.

My letter mentions that this woman is in a public facing, customer service position and yet shows no customer service skills at all. If she was having a bad day, she's been having this same bad day for years.

So I ask - Would you let the owner know? Or let it pass?

Honored Contributor

Re: Veterinarians office admin shows no courtesy

I would let the owner know. So sorry for your bad experience.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Yes, I would let the vet know.  You've been going there for years, but what about someone new?  As you said, this person is the first one a new customer would see and, if it were me, that would be enough to make me question taking my business there.

Anyone in the position of dealing with the public (especially where our furbabies are concerned!) should be able to muster a smile and common courtesy.

I once had to bring something up at my current vet's office (he's great; a partner he had for a while not so much).  He told me (in person) thank you for bringing the matter to his attention.  Any vet worth his salt would want to know.

Trusted Contributor

The only thing that will come of you taking action on this is you being labeled a PITA, and every time you go back, they'll all be thinking, "oh great, here she comes."  This office worker has been there for 4 years.  She's not going to be reprimanded or lose her job, because you felt like you didn't get the coridial disposition from her that you desired.  She will probably find out that you wrote a letter (or even get to read it herself), and you might get an even less pleasant response next time around.  As a rule, I try not to p*ss off people who handle my food or the healthcare of my pet and me. I would let it go.

Honored Contributor

I would mention it to the vet, but not put it into writing. Do a face to face with him.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@sandraskates

I would let him know and I think this is so important especially like @Venezia said where our precious furbabies are involved.

I would let him know that it only takes one kind word from the person up front to make you feel better (no one likes going to the vet including our babies!) and only one rude word or none at all to make you feel bad and like you don't want to return there.

If he is a good vet like you said, he deserves to know this and I think would appreciate it too.

Hopefully he will be able to tactfully address this with her. I wouldn't worry about what she thinks about me at this point as I wouldn't see how it could be much worse!

If she can't do her job pleasantly or hates being there, I would wish she would let someone else do it who appreciated it and the customers-both 2 and 4 legged! This is especially important at vets and dr's offices.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Took one of my cat's to the veterinarian today. I've been going to this small practice for 15+ years. The vets are knowledgeable and caring and 2 of the 3 office staff are great.

This cat not been well for a few days, I'm very worried about him and I knew that he was going to get a lot of tests done. The vet was great and I had a nice chat with one of the longtime staff members who was assisting her. Had that been the end of my staff interactions I'd have had a very positive experience.

I went to the desk to pay the bill and this is where it all deflated. There is a woman at the front desk who has been there for about 4 years. I've never had one good experience with her as she shows absolutely no courtesy .

She pulled the bill up on her computer, said "Oh, you had a lot of tests done today. Do you want a printout?".

As I was getting out the money to pay I said, "Yes, I would."

She takes the paper out of the printer, slaps it down in front of me and that was it. No "thank you", no "have a nice day", no "good-bye", no courtesy whatsoever. Literally - just a stare.

I think the veterinarian owner should know about this and I've begun to draft up a short letter which I plan on leaving when I go back tomorrow.

My letter mentions that this woman is in a public facing, customer service position and yet shows no customer service skills at all. If she was having a bad day, she's been having this same bad day for years.

So I ask - Would you let the owner know? Or let it pass?

I don't think I understand your complaint.  Did this woman say something rude to you?  Did she talk down to you?  Did she raise her voice?  She could be just one of those types that likes to do her job and not become friendly with others.  If you know this about her (as you mentioned herein), why bother with all of this reporting?

There is a strong likelihood you are not the only one she treats this way.  Why should one person who decided not to say "good day" be a problem for you?  Others may know her ways and just do what they have to do and leave.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

She has been like this for 4 years ? I would of mentioned this to the vet  If she kept doing this to me. Is she like this with other customers or is it just you? Either way I would let him or her know about it.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Trusted Contributor

I have to say I agree with RazorSharp as far as this person not getting reprimanded.  That being said, I would most definitely say something in person, not in writing.  Here's why.  About eight years ago my dog Max was diagnosed with a failing heart (I don't know the technical term).  We brought him in to the vet that we have used for years.  My parents used him, we recommended him to friends & neighbors.  Max wasn't doing well that day and I was crying in the waiting room.  One of the women working up front shaked her head, laughed and made some kind of comment about crying over a dog.  I was shocked.  I talked to the vet about it (we were so close him & his wife have been over for dinner).  He told me what a great employee she was and there's no way she would do something like that.  However, it turned out to be the best thing to happen because I had Max's records transferred to a fabulous vet that we are still using today with our current animals.  Thanks to the new vet I had another whole year with my boy.  Sometimes things happen for a reason.  Please let us know what you decide to do.  (And I hope your furbaby is feeling better).  :-) 

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

I have to say I agree with RazorSharp as far as this person not getting reprimanded.  That being said, I would most definitely say something in person, not in writing.  Here's why.  About eight years ago my dog Max was diagnosed with a failing heart (I don't know the technical term).  We brought him in to the vet that we have used for years.  My parents used him, we recommended him to friends & neighbors.  Max wasn't doing well that day and I was crying in the waiting room.  One of the women working up front shaked her head, laughed and made some kind of comment about crying over a dog.  I was shocked.  I talked to the vet about it (we were so close him & his wife have been over for dinner).  He told me what a great employee she was and there's no way she would do something like that.  However, it turned out to be the best thing to happen because I had Max's records transferred to a fabulous vet that we are still using today with our current animals.  Thanks to the new vet I had another whole year with my boy.  Sometimes things happen for a reason.  Please let us know what you decide to do.  (And I hope your furbaby is feeling better).  :-) 

Your issue is clearly differet from the OP's.  The staff person in your story was indeed rude and what she said/did was uncalled for.

In this case, however the staff person is to be reprimanded because she said nothing?  This is wrong.  Not everyone is friendly go lucky but they can get the job done.  Besides, the doctor is the one you should most care about ~ not the staff who will have no say in how your pet is treated medically.

It's ok for people to be curt.  It's not against the law.

*Call Tyrone*