Respected Contributor

Valuables stolen from cars while owner working out in fitness facility

I saw this on the news tonight, it's been on  many times before where people leave their valuables locked in the car in plain view while they go in the facility to work out. (purses, computers etc)  criminals come along breaking windows stealing the valuables. Police depts, news media  warn people every time this happens to never leave valuables in the car yet it still continues. A Lady who had her purse stolen with her drivers license and credit cards was interviewed and said how she was so upset and so angry at the criminals. I don't understand why people allow this crime of opportunity to happen when it's been on the news many times. It makes no sense to me, I don't feel sorry for her.   Does this happen where you are ?   Am I being insensitive ?  I would never, never do this. It's common sense. It's the world we live in.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Valuables stolen from cars while owner working out in fitness facility

Leaving things in plain sight is just plain stupid.  I'm certainly not supporting the criminals, but we all know they are out there, so we have to take defensive action.  Take the barest minimum with you and hide it BEFORE YOU REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

One tip from a friend who was robbed during a Christmas shopping expedition.  She had gone to her car and put packages in her trunk and then went back to shop more.  Thieves took everything.  The police recommended that even after putting items in your trunk, if you are going to leave your car, you should get in it and move that car to a totally different part of the parking lot.  It's just one small way of trying to outwit the thieves.

Valued Contributor

People think they won't get broken in to....but it can happen to anyone.  I don't get it when people leave items visible in their car. Thieves are just waiting for an opportunity so  don't make it easy for them! I'm sorry if it happens to someone, but I don't have as much sympathy as I would for a victime of a different type of crime. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Leaving things in plain sight is just plain stupid.  I'm certainly not supporting the criminals, but we all know they are out there, so we have to take defensive action.  Take the barest minimum with you and hide it BEFORE YOU REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

One tip from a friend who was robbed during a Christmas shopping expedition.  She had gone to her car and put packages in her trunk and then went back to shop more.  Thieves took everything.  The police recommended that even after putting items in your trunk, if you are going to leave your car, you should get in it and move that car to a totally different part of the parking lot.  It's just one small way of trying to outwit the thieves.

That is a good tip, @millieshops

I have to pat myself on the back for coming up with it on my own.  I always put things in the trunk BEFORE getting to my destination.  And I don't put anything into a parked car and walk away.  I've done the "driving to a different spot" also.  Anything to make me feel safer by being less obvious about what I have.

I used to know someone who would wear pricey jewelry while riding public transportation.  I thought that was so careless.  At minimum, if you are not going to put it all in your bag until you get to your destination, put a necklace under your clothes or turn a ring around.  You are not trying to impress your fellow commuters.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

We have the same thieves in our neighborhood.  They will steal anything from a parked car including change left on the console.

i often see expensive sun glasses and cell phones and other electronics left in a parked car when I go shopping.

The worst thing that gets stolen in guns.  Who would leave a gun in a car? 

Sometimes cars are broken into whilethecar is parked in the owners driveway.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Shoekitty said

Millie, this is one of the best things I learned this week.  No kidding.  I never thought to move the car, but makes sense.  We tend to think theives are looking in cars fo items to steal,  But there is nothing easier than laying in wait, watching.  Then when you see packages go in the trunk, it is show time.

Honored Contributor

When I lived near the beach, I had a 10-year old car stolen.   "They" will take ANYTHING...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I argue with my husband on this topic all the time. He leaves his wallet on the floor of the passenger side of the car. When I tell him that it is NOT out of view, he doesn't listen. We had a similar argument years ago when he wore a fanny-pack on the Paris Métro. He was pick-pocketed then and stopped doing it. I fear he will have to learn another lesson the hard way.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to a class where we use weights, bands, etc. I bring my own stuff because the Y doesn't clean their equipment (yes, it's gross). I lock my handbag in the trunk so that all I have to carry into the club is the equipment. I grew up in the NYC suburbs but my husband is a country boy. He still doesn't understand that  there are people out there who are up to no good. Now that I read about crooks stealing things from trunks, I may have to change my habits too.

Honored Contributor

This has happened many, many times.

I never leave any valuables in my car - not even the trunk.

Respected Contributor

Yes ago, when my two children were in school, playing sports, some of the moms would leave their purses locked in their cars while their children were playing the games.  When they went back to their cars, someone came and stole all the purses.  One woman had a very expensive purse stolen.  Last fall when the kids had a couple of days off school some went around and stole anything left in the cars that weren't locked.  At least they didn't break the windows.  I know that one neighbor had their laptop stolen.  Luckily we have a 2 car garage and our daughter always locks her car.  You always have to be careful, you never know.  When I go to NYC to see my son, I take a different wallet and only carry one credit card with me, I leave one hidden in my luggage in my room.  I carry very little cash.  If someone does get anything, they won't get much.  I don't wear my expensive jewelry when I travel.