Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't being anti-religion.......I was merely stating that if posters can't express religious comments, then the same policy should apply to everyone involved at QVC.......

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Mary Beth and Valerie are interjecting quite a lot of religious comments during this show......according to QVC moderators this is a "no no" on the boards.....but I guess it's okay on national tv? I guess the hosts and guests haven't gotten the memo........

I think the rules on the boards are for board members only.  It does not apply to what's being presented by the hosts.  I guess we should just accept it and move on.  At least for GloriaJean's sake. 

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

I wasn't being anti-religion.......I was merely stating that if posters can't express religious comments, then the same policy should apply to everyone involved at QVC.......

The show had to do with Christmas, correct? The forums are are not to be anyones's religious forum.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

Christmas

Esteemed Contributor

I watched part of the show & I really didn't hear  "a lot of religious comments" ... it was a Christmas show so what do you expect? .... It didn't bother me at all!!!!! 🌲🌲🌲

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

WHY? 

QVC the business and QVC the forums and blogs (i.e, website) are separate - as they have always been. It's not a package deal, every aspect must be identical. That isn't even possible. And no business operates like that.

If decisions that QVC makes really bother people, they can stop shopping with QVC...and of course, they logically wouldn't want to post on a QVC website either - that only makes sense. Why would you want to stick around if you really, morally and ethically, have serious issues with their standards?

As another poster said, QVC hosts and vendors are commenting as they present. They are aware of QVC policies *that effect them* and I'm sure adhere to the guidelines given to them when they are on-air.

Forums involve individuals who may very well be, and often are, loose cannons as far as saying things they either know or have reasonable reason to believe, they should not say and that QVC will delete. And they will keep on doing it. That is not the case with hosts and vendors.

That said, QVC has instituted a new policy HERE. We can't know if they are also telling hosts and vendors to tone it down as well. Maybe, maybe not. Most would be able to if requested, but there is one who might not. Regardless, it's a new situation and might take a little time for the hosts/vendors to adjust. If they've been asked.

It's possible there will be no changes at all, because...QVC's decision.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Here's a surprise for some of you, I don't believe in or celebrate Christmas.  Guess what I do when QVC has Christmas themed shows?  (gasp)  I don't tune in. 

For anyone who celebrates the holidays and tunes into holiday shows, you would expect to hear some type of religious banter.

Perhaps QVC can be a little more forthcoming as to why they are enforcing their policy on religion but in the mean time, we all have to abide by the board rules.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

I watched the show.  It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable when people talk about religion in general, but it does seem a bit off when hosts or vendors use religion as a pitch to sell tchotchkes from China.  Religion is sacred, and I don't think it should be used as a sales technique.  Valerie was selling H205314, and was saying that the "J" in "JOY" stood for Jesus.  The origin of the word JOY has nothing to do with Jesus, so, to me, it seemed like a tacky selling technique.  

I feel the same way about when hosts use fear to sell items.  I remember Jill Bauer trying to sell us mirror attachments for your car's side view mirrors and saying that if we didn't buy the mirrors, we might back up our car and kill a child, because we didn't see him.  

Respected Contributor

Good grief....you sound like my kids when they were 3 and 4 years old!  "how come SHE gets to do this and I don't, you're not fair"

Whining is so unbecoming on an adult.

Valued Contributor

Just wondering...when Valerie sells her Nativity set, how should she describe it and the story behind it?  Maybe she should say the set includes figurines of homeless parents and a newborn baby so that no one is offended.  Christmas is a religious event, so there's no way to avoid making religious comments about it.

I watch some of the PBS programs about particular religious groups.  For example, I'm not Jewish, but I did watch a number of their documentaries about Judaism and the Jewish people.  Didn't bother me in the least, I watched them willingly and enjoyed them.   I even learned a great number of new things.  If I were one easily offended by other religions or religious commentary, I just wouldn't watch.  Easy peasy.

Certainly, documentaries are one thing and a shopping channel is entirely another thing; but as other posters have said in earlier comments, the QVC forums and QVC programs are two very different things, as well.