Respected Contributor

Update on the 83 Year Old Grandmother allegedly being evicted for taking extra cookies

Same reporter updated story in today's Washington Post.  The parent company rep met with Mrs. Cruey and her daughter and her lease will be renewed for a year.

The reporter said the response was overwhelming - people outraged over the woman's alleged treatment by the apartment complex management.  But all is good now.

There were still no facts to verify what happened - although all the allegations were repeated.  This time the reporter said a rep from Fairfax County verified that the meeting where Mrs. Cruey was asked to leave due to being loud and belligerant (and also  for assaulting a manager) was  - as Mrs. Cruey said - about affordable housing.  Interesting however, that the reporter still did not ask this person to verify what happened when Mrs. Cruey was asked to leave.  

The reporter also castigated the person who - in the online comments -  told about Mrs. Cruey's past convictions.  Interesting that the reporter noted that "most of them were for misdemeanors involving vulgar language and threats."  Most of them.

Interesting - given the treatment alleged in the article - both Mrs. Cruey and her daughter are elated that she gets to stay.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on the 83 Year Old Grandmother allegedly being evicted for taking extra cookies

Regardless of the circumstances or facts, I am glad there was a satisfactory, peaceful resolution to this matter.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on the 83 Year Old Grandmother allegedly being evicted for taking extra cookies

hope she behaves!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this elderly lady is feisty and probably in some stage of dementia. She was lucky this time because she went to social media and a stink was raised.

Next  time she might not be so lucky.  I am sure the management company will document her behavior and will hold her accountable for her actions.  Her eviction had nothing to do with taking cookies and milk, but that was probably part of the problems they had with her.

I hope she behaves this time and can remain in her apartment.

Respected Contributor

That is all well and good for her and her daughter, but what about the rest of the residents and staff who have to put up with her?  I guess they don't matter.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

That is all well and good for her and her daughter, but what about the rest of the residents and staff who have to put up with her?  I guess they don't matter.  

She didn’t hurt anyone and she most likely has some dementia.We need to show more compassion for the elderly.It is what we want for our loved ones and eventually ourselves.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

She didn’t hurt anyone and she most likely has some dementia.We need to show more compassion for the elderly.It is what we want for our loved ones and eventually ourselves.

if she DOES have some type of dementia then isnt she better served in a facility that deals with that type of issue? is the place she is living now just a senior living facility or a assisted living/nursing home type of facility?

yes, we need compassion for the elderly, but we also need some compassion and safety for those who are in that same building. IF there are long standing issues.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

"...There were still no facts to verify what happened - although all the allegations were repeated.  This time the reporter said a rep from Fairfax County verified that the meeting where Mrs. Cruey was asked to leave due to being loud and belligerant (and also for assaulting a manager) was  - as Mrs. Cruey said - about affordable housing.  Interesting however, that the reporter still did not ask this person to verify what happened when Mrs. Cruey was asked to leave...."

@Isobel Archer   Since there are stlll no facts reported to verify what happened.....I will refrain from making any kind of statement about Mrs. Cruey.  My hope is this 83 yr old woman has a nice, friendly place to live out her years. Not so sure she will find that in NoVa, Fairfax Cty as it has undergone the same kind of changes my DC suburb neighborhood has undergone over the years.

Respected Contributor

It's not an Assisted Living facility or a nursing home.  It's an apartment complex for those 62 and older.

I am also happy it is apparently resolved - at least as far as Ms. Cruey is concerned.

Not sure how the complex is faring with the outrage the article generated - as evidenced by the online comments and by the article today which confirmed that many many people had gotten involved after reading the original story.

Honored Contributor

I'm confused. What is the debate about regarding this woman?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland