Respected Contributor

Upcoming Baby Shower Question on Tipping

We are throwing a baby shower for my daughter in about 2 weeks. We rented the room and it is for a brunch. The guests will go and select what they want from the buffet including coffee and juice. Any alcoholic drink will be served by waitstaff. Should we tip 20% like we usually do when eatting out. I don't want to sound cheap, but not sure what to do in this situation. They will probably clear the brunch dishes and replace clean ones for dessert. I think I already answered my own question now that I think about it. Opinions welcomed.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Upcoming Baby Shower Question on Tipping

Usually the gratuity for the meal is included in the contract. Drinks would in this case be a separate tab.

Have fun !
Respected Contributor

That sounds about right--20% depending on how attentive the servers are.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Usually the gratuity for the meal is included in the contract. Drinks would in this case be a separate tab.

Have fun !

I was just going to post that.  Usually with large groups or private dining, the gratuity is automatically added. 

Congratulations OP and have a great time!

Honored Contributor

It's usually automatically added to the price of your contract.

If you feel the servers went above and beyond you could leave something extra for them to split amongst themselves

Honored Contributor

I'd definitely contact the establishment and see if the tip has been included in your pricing. Many places do, but it would be terrible if you just assumed, and it wasn't.

Even if it is included, and you think the service was excellent, I'd have no problem adding extra.

Honored Contributor

The tip WILL be included on anything that is paid for by the people paying for it when the food is ordered in advance or there is a large party and one person is getting the check.  If you are paying for drinks or anything extra, tip on that amount.  But when you book a food event, tip is included in the amount.  ALWAYS.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'd definitely contact the establishment and see if the tip has been included in your pricing. Many places do, but it would be terrible if you just assumed, and it wasn't.

Even if it is included, and you think the service was excellent, I'd have no problem adding extra.

ITA.

Did you sign a contract for your event?

Most large parties, like you described, will have a flat 20% added to the final total to cover tips, etc. 

Honored Contributor

mominohio wrote:

i agree.....it is best not to assume.

during the summer i had a graduation party for my son and the tip was NOT included on our bill and i did not have to sign any contract.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a side note on the tipping with a contract.  I work in hospitality and our "gratuity" (aka service charge in the contract) goes to defray our labor costs since banquet servers are paid at a higher rate than regular servers in the restaurant. It does not go to the staff at all.  Their higher hourly wage is their "tip".

Our banquet staff is normally not tipped out by most of our customers since they do 'come with the event' and event payments are normally due in full before it even happens.  If you do want to leave an extra something for above and beyond service, it's not unheard of to give the F&B Director or event person an envelope of cash collected or most people just ask us to charge the credit card on file for an amount to be shared among the staff.  

The only exception is bartenders especially if you have an open bar since your guests usually do look to tip them. Some customers are okay with a tip jar on site.  Others want nothing to do with it and compensate those staff members behind the scenes usually with a $100 bartender fee included in their contract.

Obviously if you are just a large party in a restaurant eating off of the standard menu or buffet with nothing made special just for you, then you are in the normal tip club which is about 20% for large parties and probably will be automatically added to the bill when you get it at the time of service.